Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Beginner Talk / Re: Automatic page numbering
« Last post by PemburySinger on Today at 10:52:17 pm »
Thanks utnik. That's fab.
Text and Typography / another Interesting Issue
« Last post by RodneyLee on Today at 05:34:15 pm »
So I finally got tabs to work for me, laying out 44 page phonebook, I have 2 tabs with leading dots, 1 at 1.53 and the other at 1.90, 10 and 7 digit phone numbers
I just noticed the dot spaceing changes, see screengrab, its not a real problem for me, I do find it interesting though.
Text and Typography / Re: Why is Scribus 1.5.3 changing chosen font?
« Last post by RodneyLee on Today at 05:06:18 pm »
I posted a similar issue, My default font is times and works perfect if its a 1.5.3 NEW document, when I use an 1.5.2 or earlier document in 1.5.3,  if I highlight text right to left it mostly stays default, if I go left to right I get Ariel
I have fixed by using styles or highlighting correctly (long as I don't go past last character it works) Style began to crash on me so I stopped that for now, I also found highlighting and starting ti type in desired font name make fixing easy
Text and Typography / Re: What languages work as of today (2018)?
« Last post by GarryP on Today at 04:14:58 pm »
I had a look for this sort of thing the last time this kind of question came up and didn't find anything.

Since it's come up again I thought I'd mention it. (I've just done another quick search and couldn't find anything obvious.)

I don't have a problem with people asking the same question - whether they've looked for the answer or not - I just thought it might be useful to have somewhere to point people towards instead of various people having to remember bits of what works and what doesn't and having to keep giving the same types of answer.

Just thought it might be helpful is all. Maybe it isn't.
« Last post by a.l.e on Today at 03:33:01 pm »
afaik the wiki has a list with details on language support...

but, as you see, you don't know it exists, i did not think about having a look in it, and mondaini could not bother looking for it... (or could not find it)

probably, it's more useful if people try it out and ask questions...
and, possibly, write a report about their experience : - )

since we have this topic open, i would be interested to know how good is the support for chinese and japanese in 1.5.x ... is there anybody in here who knows about it?
(i've been reading for years about people trying to layout chinese and japanese text and i think that it basically works... at least if you write from left to right...)
« Last post by utnik on Today at 01:21:03 pm »
hi pemburysinger

…If I want to keep the inside cover page unnumbered, and have the first right hand page as a contents page that has either a "page 1", or a roman numeral as its number, how would I go about adjusting the numbering to suit?

in 'file' → 'document setup' → 'sections' you can define different sections and for every section you can chose a numbering style and a starting point.

utnik
Text and Typography / Why is Scribus 1.5.3 changing chosen font?
« Last post by TSRalex on Today at 01:09:49 pm »
Using version 1.5.3 at some (!!) text objects the chosen font is changed by Scribus automatically, at some other the selected font stays OK.

At all objects the Text-Editor was used and font "Ottawa Bold" (or sometimes "Ottawa Plain") was chosen. Opening the Text-Editor again the font has changed to "A028 Extrabold Regular"!  :o

Any idea about or a solution for? Thank you very much!
« Last post by PemburySinger on Today at 12:43:17 pm »
Next question is, how do I force the page numbering to start a 1 on a different page? For example, my document has assumed that the cover page is page 1, and has commenced numbering the following pages from page 2 as the first left hand page.

If I want to keep the inside cover page unnumbered, and have the first right hand page as a contents page that has either a "page 1", or a roman numeral as its number, how would I go about adjusting the numbering to suit?
« Last post by PemburySinger on Today at 12:37:55 pm »
Hi GarryP,

I didn't say that, and in fact I didn't do that, because the tutorial didn't make that clear. However, I just tried what you said, and it put a # in the text frame of the left hand master page. Upon checking the file, it seems to have worked, so thanks, that's great!  ;D
« Last post by GarryP on Today at 11:22:21 am »
I think it would be very useful to a lot of people if there was a page - probably on the wiki - containing a table with the following information:

* Language;
* The earliest version of Scribus that has been proved to properly handle that language;
* The earliest version of Scribus that is shipped with a spell checker for that language.

(By "proved to properly handle that language" I mean that people have been using that version of Scribus to successfully and consistently create documents in that language without any major problems.)

This would give people a quick and easy way of seeing if the language they wanted to use was supported.
Some footnotes could also be supplied to give potential users some indication of which features might not work "perfectly" for certain languages, E.g. which dialects are not fully supported.

This may give some people reservations about using Scribus - if the language they need isn't on the list - but it might also prevent people from being frustrated by trying to use it with languages it doesn't support.

An extra column could also be given listing some free fonts that have been proven to work well with each language. That would help people to get working on their documents quicker without much extra hassle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10