Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Beginner Talk / Re: Automatic page numbering
« Last post by regit on February 17, 2018, 09:34:32 pm »
@harryllama
When you open the Sections dialog, there is an attribute called Shown that has a selection box. Default state is selected, so leave it selected. If you begin each chapter as a new Section, then each section (CHAPTER) can be changed.

For example, you document has 3 chapters. It also has an introduction. You decide that you want to have the introduction to have page numbers that look like i. iii. iii. iv., etc. whereas the chapter pages are standard arabic numerals. Your document contains a total of 27 pages.
 Intro.    2 pages (1-2)
 Chap1   6 pages (3-8)
 Chap2 13 pages (9-21)
 Chap3   6 pages (22-27)

Create four sections, and name them as below.
Name     Shown     From    To    Style    Start
Intro         v             1        2     i,ii,iii,     1
Chap1       v             4        8     1,2,3,    4   [notice you leave out page 3!]
Chap2       v            10      21    1,2,3,   10   [notice you leave out page 9!]
Chap3       v            23      27    1,2,3,   23   [notice you leave out page 22!]

This will display the numbers on your two introduction pages i, ii.
Chap1 begins on page 3 but no number displayed, then the rest of pages numbered 4-8.
Chap2  begins on page 9 but no number displayed, then the rest of pages numbered 10-21.
Chap3  begins on page 22 but no number displayed, then the rest of pages numbered 23-27.

Beginner Talk / Re: Multiple selections?
« Last post by regit on February 17, 2018, 08:02:55 pm »
If you create a character style to base another character style on then - theoretically - when you change the base character style the styles based on that base style should change automatically.

However, and here's why I said "theoretically" near the start, some changes aren't carried through automatically.

For example, if you start with "Arial Regular" in the base style and "Arial Bold" in the derived style and then change the font in the base style to "Minion", Scribus won't automatically change the font in the derived style. You need to change that yourself. Scribus isn't clever enough to check the new font to see if it has a bold variant and automatically make the switch. This usually isn't a huge problem and making the change is way quicker than manually formatting stuff but it needs to be taken into account.

Although this is an old message, it deserves clarification.

This supposed problem of inheritance prefaced by "theoretical" is no problem at all; it is exactly how inheritance should work.

First, at least in version 1.4.6, when you define a new style (the CHILD) and base it on another style (the PARENT), the CHILD is displayed indented under the PARENT in the Style Manager

PARENT: The style that is the base for other styles.
CHILD: The style that uses the PARENT style as its base.

If you make no changes at all to the CHILD style, then every change you make to the PARENT style is inherited (and therefore implemented) by the CHILD style. So the result of applying either the PARENT style or the CHILD style are exactly the same.

There are two major points of having a CHILD style--it avoids copying a lot of the style settings into a new style; it enables the PARENT and CHILD styles to have some style settings that are the same that can be changed in both by changing the setting in the parent, and some other style settings in the CHILD that when changed, affect only the CHILD style and not the PARENT style. Unfortunately, Scribus does not have any method to distinguish in the CHILD settings which are inherited and which have been changed in the CHILD; you must flip back-and-forth between the PARENT and CHILD (or else write down the settings of one of them) to determine what is changed in the CHILD.  :(

Example
PARENT  You define BodyText as family: Times New Roman, size:12, fill color:black, style:regular
CHILD  You define a new style named Captions. When you start to edit Captions settings, you find they are exactly like the parent settings, as they should be. But you want a sans serif font, so you change the family setting to Helvetica. When you viewed samples of BodyText and Captions, you decided Captions size is a little bit too big, so you change the size to 10. So now Captions is family:Helvetica, size:10, fill color:black, style:regular.

At some later time, you decide that you want BodyText to be blue, so you edit its fill color to blue, and both BodyText and Captions to have a size of 11, so you edit the BodyText size to 11. So what happens? The color of both fonts is now blue, because Captions inherits its color from its PARENT, BodyText.  But you did not want Captions to be blue, you wanted it to remain black. So you now must edit Captions to fill color: black.

And what happened when you made that font size 11 in BodyText? Notice that BodyText is 11 as desired, but Captions did not change. This is because you previously set Captions size 10, so it no longer inherits from BodyText. Therefore, you must edit Captions to size:11.
Text and Typography / Re: New chapter in a new right page
« Last post by GarryP on February 17, 2018, 10:41:23 am »
Welcome to the forum moresun.

If you cut your text up into chapters, importing each chapter into a different text frame chain - usually a good thing to do anyway - you can start a new text frame chain for each chapter anywhere in the document.

If that doesn't explain things enough then you'll need to give more information about what you're doing.
Text and Typography / New chapter in a new right page
« Last post by moresun on February 17, 2018, 01:47:21 am »
Hello everybody. I need to force my text so that the new chapter start in a new right page... is there a way to do this? Can someone help me, please?
PDF Generation / Re: creating pdf with security
« Last post by jghali on February 16, 2018, 08:22:48 pm »
New 1.4.7.svn snapshots with that fix are now available on sourceforge:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-svn/1.4.7.svn/
hi dana

go to 'preferences' → 'tools' → 'image frame properties' (the second icon) – with 'free scaling' and '100%' for both directions you'll get images scaled to the ppi value written in the image file.
depending on the origin of your images, this may sometimes be what you expect – at least it's what you're asking for…

utnik
Hi,

I'm new to Scribus, so apologies if this has been asked before. Is it possible to import images into Scribus so that they maintain their original dimensions? Right now they seem to resize themselves to whatever size frame I have created.

Thanks,
Dana
Beginner Talk / Re: Changing orientation of page
« Last post by GarryP on February 15, 2018, 04:07:13 pm »
It's important to note here that changing the orientation of the pages or changing the page sizes will not change the locations of the items on the pages. It's not like a responsive web page where everything automatically moves around to cope.

You will have to manually modify the layout of every page to cope with the new orientation/sizes.
This is why it is very important to make sure you have the right page size and orientation at the start.
« Last post by utnik on February 15, 2018, 12:56:31 pm »
hi whyz

as long as you don't check any of the two boes i mentioned in my first post, your change to landscape will only affect new master pages (and document pages which are based on those new master pages).
a scribus document can contain a mix of different page formats. that's why you need to tell scribus to apply your changes to the existing document pages or to all master pages or to both of them.

utnik
« Last post by WHYz on February 15, 2018, 12:18:29 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by "what parts" I want to change the orientation of. I want the entire document in landscape. Being in a hurry (as I tend to be sometimes), I just started over and made a new document. In fact, I thought I had deleted this post since the question was moot as soon as I made a new one. But since it IS still here, can someone figure why that happened? (I actually figure it was a hiccup from Scribus since it sometimes closes in the midst of my doing something in there.)  :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
palmate