Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Beginner Talk / Re: Image inserts upside down
« Last post by mnawij on August 08, 2018, 02:43:43 am »
Hi natalieben,

See my attached image of preferences and make sure your path is pointed to where gimp.exe is installed on your computer.  I'm using Scribus 1.5 and a Mac so you will have to find a corresponding MS Windows dialog.  This should allow scribus to open gimp.

Next see my basepoint attachment.  If the black dot is in the middle of the tic tac toe grid in the XYZ properties dialog for a lack of better term, the image frame should rotate in place and not jump around on the artboard.

As for why the image is being placed upside down, I have to admit that has me stumped.  As a.l.e. mentioned, could you please upload one of the images that are importing upside down for us to try...

Cheers!

mnawij
Let us stay with the basics, leaving the advanced stuff for future learning..

I use Ubuntu so I don't remember the options with Word 10.

But at its most basic you will need to create a content file system for fragments of text documents which you can easily import into Scribus textframes.

So you might create a project directory (a tree) to reflect the flow of your encyclopedia, page by page.

Using Word 10 you create text sections which match each of your images you painstakingly draw.

Then for each Scribus page you create one or more linked textframes (for your text) and an image frame (for the image such as dragon associated with the text).

There are multiple tutorials and wiki sections explaining this process and I will not expand further.

I will venture to suggest that instead of (or in addition to) Word 10 you experiment with a notes editor to build a repository of your 400 or so sections.   I have previously suggested Atom but here is another suggestion you might try out.

https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/

https://www.giuspen.com/cherrytree/#downl

Windows installer:

http://www.giuspen.com/software/cherrytree_0.38.5_setup.exe

You can then write each of your pieces of text and then copy/paste these into your Scribus textframes.

Since you will be associating an image with each section of text you can create for each node a subnode which holds only the jpg image.

This means that you might have 400 nodes with 400 subnodes in a tree structure.

You could further organise your tree to reflect categories such as objects, plants, animals, personalities, and places as you wrote earlier. You can add tags to Cherrytree nodes for cross reference

Using this approach you can maintain some degree of control over your external content to be copied/pasted manually into Scribus document in a workflow. Keep content and layout separate.

However, it is still a painstaking process to manually copy/paste hundreds of text sections with images into Scribus.  In later weeks I might add how to automate this process using a script.
Thank you so much for your response. At this point I am such a Scribus noob that half of what you said I will need to research to understand. I don't think I want to build an online searchable encyclopedia. just a dead tree book.

I am using Windows 10 and I am writing the text in Word. I am drawing the images either in pen and ink and scanning them in, or drawing them in photoshop. It depends what the image is but they will all end up as .jpgs
Beginner Talk / Re: Image inserts upside down
« Last post by a.l.e on August 07, 2018, 10:52:39 am »
can you please share one of the images?

you probably see an "an automatically corrected" preview in your file manager and the real up side down image in scribus...
Beginner Talk / Image inserts upside down
« Last post by natalieben on August 07, 2018, 12:24:40 am »
When I get an image from the computer, it is inserting upside down.

Trying to use Item/Transform/Rotate 180 degrees (or any other value), the box jumps off the page and the image disappears.

I downloaded Gimp to try to edit the image that way, but although I have it open on the computer, Scribus claims it is not installed when I try to edit the image.

Feeling a little frustrated - all help appreciated!!
PDF Generation / Re: Margins not showing in PDF
« Last post by Nermander on August 05, 2018, 10:02:12 pm »
Are you talking about margins or bleed area?
Beginner Talk / Re: Search Scripts for Scale 100 Textframes + set new Font Size
« Last post by dragonfly on August 05, 2018, 05:31:17 pm »
In a similar experimental exercise I first copied the original *.sla file
then changed *.sla extension to *.xml
and opened file as XML in XMLCopyEditor ..

http://xml-copy-editor.sourceforge.net/

Try searching for patterns to make global changes.

[added note]
Actually, looking at my XMLCopyEditor, you can just open *.sla files without changing extension to *.xml.  Look at <PAGE and <STYLE elements.
Beginner Talk / Re: Create text on a metric grid
« Last post by dragonfly on August 05, 2018, 01:48:41 pm »
Further notes from my playing around with Scribus.

Glyph: specific vertical sizing:

I would ultimately prefer that I could specify within a text frame:
• the height of a text frame,
• the visible height of a glyph
• the invisible top height of a glyph, and
• the invisible bottom height of a glyph

You can easily wrap space around glyphs by using nested textframes.

i.e. have an outer textframe and inside you have a "glyphframe" (a normal textframe).

The outer textframe can have rounded corners.
You can then bind (group) the outer and inner textframes.

I have created in Scribus the effect you want.
PDF Generation / Margins not showing in PDF
« Last post by marib on August 05, 2018, 12:54:07 pm »
Hi guys,

I´m new to the forum and I've got a question, please,  is there any reason why margins won´t show on the saved pdf?

I´m getting a message back from my CS (Amazon) printer, and they´re telling me that I don´t have sufficient outside margins to print But I have them fixed in my preferences and in my Doc Setup, and I can see them on my layout, so I´m at a loss here.

I´m using Scribus 1.4.7

I´ve been using Scribus for years and love it, jes saying!!

Beginner Talk / Re: Search Scripts for Scale 100 Textframes + set new Font Size
« Last post by a.l.e on August 05, 2018, 11:35:51 am »
hi martin

yes, it's manageable

you can first read

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Category:Scripts

and then go through

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Enlarge2Page

if you have further questions, just ask!

ciao
a.l.e
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10