Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
PDF Generation / PDF 1.3 generation for Printing Press
« Last post by jozefk on January 17, 2019, 09:45:03 am »
I have a question about PDF 1.3 generation for printing press. Everything is working fine except flattening the transparency. So my question is about the solution for flattening the transparency. How do you do that?
What I tried so far is to export the page to tiff then open it with GIMP and flatten it. After that I import it to Scribus again and it works that way, but I have a problem with colors then, because I have RGB profiles in GIMP and from Scribus I need to get CMYK PDF files for printing press. So the colors got messed up.
And the person who is making the plates is insisting on PDF version 1.3.

Is there some other way to flatten transparency without messing up the colors?

I use Scribus 1.5.4 on Windows and Linux.
MacOS / Re: Signal 11 crashes and now Scribus has gone haywire
« Last post by utnik on January 17, 2019, 01:46:32 am »
hi john

if you put your .sla file (including the used fonts) on a file hosting page and send me a download link, i'll take a look at it.
a new installation of the same scribus version doesn't usually help much. if something went wrong with scribus, you could close the application and remove 'user/your user name/library/preferences/scribus' and let scribus build new preference files.

utnik
Free discussion / Re: FireFox rejecting forum address login option as not secure
« Last post by JohnJR on January 16, 2019, 11:44:32 pm »
Thanks a.l.e for a general tutorial on the issue and giving me some comfort.

John

Free discussion / Re: Post Key Frozen, will not activate
« Last post by JohnJR on January 16, 2019, 11:39:30 pm »
Hi a.l.e,

Thanks and I knew I was cursed.  If it is a plugin or an extension, is it possible to find out in OS X who would be the culprit?  Given this latest occurrence, today I made a post and remembered to save my attachment as a pdf prior to getting the tiff warning and I remembered to paste my message in from a word processor.  This time the post took off without a hitch.  I think the above procedure might had something to do with curing it.  Also I might have a tendency to mull over a message for an extended period of time and somehow even though my message is active, I might have been timed out and not known it.  Is there a time window for keeping a post box open and could that be the culprit?

Thanks,

John
MacOS / Signal 11 crashes and now Scribus has gone haywire
« Last post by JohnJR on January 16, 2019, 11:07:52 pm »
Hi Folks,

I had completed a document using Scribus 1.5.2 using OS X 10.11.6 on my iMac and exported it fine to a printer via pdf/1a.  Recently I wished to make some font changes.  They gave me fits, however I got the text font changed by highlighting text frame-by-text frame and saved the document.  Somewhere at the end of the process before exporting again I experienced two "Signal 11" crashes and noted after this Scribus was behaving erratically but I didn't see anything to react to.  I hadn't actually closed the document but removed it to the Dock and hadn't shut down my computer for the day, but left it on sleep mode.

The next day I reactivated the document (and Scribus 1.5.2) from the Dock and found I had both justification chaos throughout the whole document and sporadic text font reversals back to the old font here and there with no discernible order. A new issue arose; text frames would not select or  be selected only after varying numbers of clicks on them, also the text cursor would appear in them with no selection of that frame, active or not.  Also a single text frame had de-linked itself from its neighbors and remained so, orphaned.  In this un-linked text frame, what I recall is an "overflow box" (a small square with an "x" through it) appeared in the lower left hand corner.  What I take as the overflow text for this frame was added to the text frame preceding it.  I reset the justification to the intended ones, text frame-by-text frame, saved the corrected document, and removed it from the Dock, but again I didn't close it or Scribus.

Opened it again and the same justification and font chaos had returned but in radically different configurations.  I corrected the same issues again text frame-by-text frame and saved the document changes.

I decided that I might correct this or stop it by closing the saved document entirely, quit Scribus, and all other open apps, and shut down (powered down) my computer and started it again from from the power button.  I opened Scribus and opened the saved document--a new set of justification chaoses to be corrected frame-by frame.

Having reached this point after all these justification iterations I decided I would not risk it again and with the correctly formatted document live on my screen I went directly to export it to pdf/1a.  I opened the pdf and the formatting had held, but I caught that the page numbering had went into random chaos in the pdf.

The pagination displayed four characteristics: no page number shown, a line symbol where the number should have been, a partial page number that made no sense, or a complete page number that was on the wrong page.  Only two pages out of forty retained the correct page number.

I deleted the pdf and returned to the Scribus document; the page numbers displayed correctly there (and had been correct in any earlier pdf/1a sent to publishers) so I repeated the export to pdf/1a for a second time. The same pagination chaos reigned in the second pdf, so I deleted it.

I decided to go back into the Document Setup>Sections and just re-affirm the page rules originally assigned and tried a third pdf/1a export, no difference, deleted it.

I decided to try returning to Sections, deleting the original settings and re-entering them.  Sections changed the assigned pages for the pagination to different “To and From” assigned page values and as soon as I completed them re-assigning them to different page values, received error messages inserting page values outside the scope and of the document (nope).  When I returned to the document, the page boxes were not populated with any numbers, the original (correct) numbers had disappeared, the page boxes are blank with the "overflow square x boxes" referred to above added.  These x boxes, and the frames they are in, are immutable to any attempt to select them for any other action, such as re-linking.  Recall to text frame selection issues above.

This is where the blown up document sits.  I tried running the Malware app. and it comes up clean.  For hardware, I ran my EtreCheck app. and it shows no hardware or OS issues, but I have a late 2009 iMac.  The last entry in EtreCheck is however:  Diagnostics Information 2019-01-14 16:15:35 Scribus 2.app Hang [Open].  Clicking on the [Open] revealed a lengthly list of computerese I wouldn't remotely know how to touch.  I will try to attach a screen shot of a small section to give you context, hopefully see below. 

I thought I should investigate just un-installing Scribus 1.5.2 and then installing a new download.  However I could not find any Scribus 1.5.2 and so I have not done either of these two procedures.

I do not mind sending my .sla file of the document if that would help, nor do I mind sending the "Hang computerese" if that would help.  However I remember the attachment feature is finicky and probably not accept attachments of those sizes, please advise.

Thanks and sorry for the long post,

John
Beginner Talk / Re: From Scrivener to Scribus
« Last post by a.l.e on January 16, 2019, 07:40:33 pm »
if it does not work, show a file and it will be tested...
« Last post by Valin8472 on January 16, 2019, 07:05:26 pm »
Thought I tried that. Survey says... didn't work. No text came up at all.
« Last post by a.l.e on January 16, 2019, 06:23:16 pm »
the content you're showing is from a pdf file.

scribus cannot import text from a pdf file.

odt is probably the preferred way to get text into scribus.
can you export from scrivener to odt?
Beginner Talk / From Scrivener to Scribus
« Last post by Valin8472 on January 16, 2019, 05:54:11 pm »
Hello,

I have a manuscript that I'm working on in Scrivener. I tried to move it over into Scribus to start playing with it and see what the big deal with self publishing is and this program came highly recommended. However, there are two things going on that, glancing through the forums and such I don't think should be happening. Firstly, which I go to import, I select automatic, but it still prompts me to choose an importer. Secondly, no matter which importer I try to use, it just imports a bunch of gibberish. Example:

%PDF-1.4
   1 0 obj
   <<
   /Title (þÿTitle Page)
   /Creator (þÿ)
   /Producer (þÿQt 4.8.6)
   /CreationDate (D:20190116153600)
   >>
   endobj
   2 0 obj
   <<
   /Type /Catalog
   /Pages 3 0 R
   >>
   endobj
   4 0 obj
   <<
   /Type /ExtGState
   /SA true
   /SM 0.02
   /ca 1.0
   /CA 1.0
   /AIS false
   /SMask /None>>
   endobj
   5 0 obj
   [/Pattern /DeviceRGB]
   endobj
   6 0 obj
   <<
   /Type /Page
   /Parent 3 0 R
   /Contents 10 0 R
   /Resources 12 0 R
... there's more, but I can't post it all here.

That's just part of the first page. Tried importing from .pdf, .docx, .odt, .rtf using all the various importers that it makes me choose from. So how do I get it to import the text as it appears in the document(s) exported from Scrivener?
General Discussion / Re: Importing 1.5XX files into 1.4XX
« Last post by bobbiescap on January 16, 2019, 02:03:07 pm »
Thanks, downloading it now. Hopefully it will be more stable than the appimage version. I am surprised at the size of the download, 1.4gb. Appreciate your help.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10