Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
General Discussion / Re: Has anyone used Scribus with BookBaby for book printing?
« Last post by dragonfly on August 13, 2018, 07:21:15 pm »
This post led to me exploring further Indesign/BookBaby.
I have not used InDesign (I am on Linux) and I was unaware of BookBaby before reading this post.

This is a learning exercise for me. Since you have no takers I will chip in with some ideas.

On first reading my understanding is that BookBaby receives PDF as input from authors.

https://www.bookbaby.com/video-tutorials-pdfs

This tutorial suggests exporting PDF/X-4 and this is an option available in Scribus.

Thus, to attempt to answer your question, one option open is to create your content using Scribus and upload to BookBaby the interim layout as exported PDF.

However, I rather suspect from reading here
https://www.bookbaby.com/book-formatting/
that BookBaby might prefer to tweak the interim content (although probably for a fee).

Therefore, I would consider taking one step back and writing the content in raw markdown (using an editor such as Atom https://atom.io/ for text and images) and use pandoc https://pandoc.org/ to generate your PDF. I recommend the added package Markdown-Preview-Enhanced.  https://atom.io/packages/markdown-preview-enhanced.  There are other Atom packages which can be installed to improve workflow.

To place one of your photo images in markdown you would use simply ..
@import ("/path/to/your/photo.jpg").

Indeed you can also @import micro markdown sections of your document.

A master page could be a string of @import commands.

This approach bypasses both InDesign and Scribus although the output from pandoc filters can be imported into either layout engine. 

On a separate topic I have now read about importing Adobe *.idml into Scribus.

I'm not sure if that step is needed since the general idea is to avoid paying for Adobe product (at least until you can afford it from author's earnings).  However, from reading around I do see now how it might be possible to sync *.idml with *.sla formats.  Currently Scribus does not export *.idml.
Text and Typography / Re: Text boxes disappeared
« Last post by Ged on August 12, 2018, 11:06:06 pm »
Found it.  All fixed   :-[
Layout Issues / Re: Text Flow Around Frames
« Last post by Ritergal on August 12, 2018, 10:36:53 pm »
Thank you a.l.e. I fiddled with this and can't yet predict just what will happen, but it looks promising. It's definitely moving in the right direction from 1.4 versions.

Ritergal
Text and Typography / Text boxes disappeared
« Last post by Ged on August 12, 2018, 09:58:47 pm »
I made a mistake trying to create a style and all my text frames turned black.  So I went back to the story editor and changed the style and the text frames turned white instead - no text to be seen.

The text is still there in the editor but not on the page.  I pressed a button affecting 'frames' somewhere but I cannot recall exactly what.  Does anyone know what might have happened and how to fix?
General Discussion / Has anyone used Scribus with BookBaby for book printing?
« Last post by eikenberry on August 12, 2018, 08:58:33 pm »
Hello,

I'm currently working on a photography project book and have settled on Bookbaby to get the book printed. Their templates are a little odd, and they strongly recommend using Adobe InDesign to design the book pages, etc. My question is, would Scribus be a suitable alternative? I doubt I'll be designing books for a living after this, so spending 30+/month for InDesign seems silly.

Does anyone have any experience with this Scribus/Bookbaby combo?

Thanks!
Text and Typography / Re: How do I add text boxes to book chapters?
« Last post by Ritergal on August 12, 2018, 07:25:05 pm »
Aha! While waiting for replies, I kept digging and eventually pieced together enough information from here and there to solve this puzzle. When I finish my current project, perhaps I'll write a proper tutorial, but for now, here's a quick overview of what I did, for whatever help it may be to others. BTW, these steps may need to be streamlined along the way.

Key concepts:
1) Create a textbox the size you want in blank space, in your working document or a new one. Enter and format text as usual, using styles if you're doing several, or directly if it's just this one. Columns and Text Distances under the Text options are the place to add padding inside the box.

2) Add fill or whatever using Properties for the text box. I know there are several ways to control outer padding, but the one I'm using right now is a white line as a box border, the width of the desired padding.

3) Text boxes are shapes. Shapes can be converted to text containers. Okay! Text wrapping is controlled for text boxes as for all shapes, in the Shape section of Properties.

4) Move that box into final position within the text. Drag or cut and paste.

Not so difficult after all, and now the pieces of the puzzle are more or less assembled in one place.
I have found a way around this now, so I am ok now!
Layout Issues / Text frame won't let me edit it - keeps jumping to top of document
« Last post by undine on August 12, 2018, 03:51:23 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to edit text frames in this document. Every time I double click the text frame, and then start typing than I am jumped back to the top of the document and the text appears in the first text frame (page 2).

The issue is the same in scribus 1.4.7 and 1.5.4
I am using lubuntu.

The .sla file is attached

Any help is greatly appricated.

(and thank you to everyone who is solving issues in these forums and working on scribus!)
I originally got this scribus template file from here : http://www.drivethrurpg.com/shared_images/templates_scribus-pc.zip
Text and Typography / How do I add text boxes to book chapters? SOLVED
« Last post by Ritergal on August 11, 2018, 10:33:42 pm »
I need to add text boxes to my book document. I want a light gray background with no border and an inside margin of .2". I've searched dozens of pages and not found instructions for doing this.

So far I have defined paragraph styles for the title and contents of the box and added a gray rectangle behind it. The problem with this approach is precise placement.

Does anyone know a better way, the equivalent of creating a text box in Word that has a specific size and wrap margins to set it apart from surrounding text? In this case I only want top and bottom wrap, not an insert. But how would I add a narrow text box with text flowing around it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Text and Typography / Last line in paragraph spread out - SOLVED
« Last post by Ritergal on August 11, 2018, 04:38:04 pm »
I'm still learning Scribus to replace Word, specifically because I want the baseline capabilities and better tracking. On my first try at editing the default paragraph style, I set the text to full justify. This caused last lines to spread all over the place. Since I could not find any answers about that, here it is:

I finally noticed two options for full justify. Since the icons are quite small and my eyes not so young, I had not noticed that the last line on the next-to-right icon is shorter. Selecting that icon did the trick. All is well and I'm loving Scribus. I took a look several years ago and went screaming into the woods. Now it seems manageable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
palmate