Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: Embedding Fonts
« Last post by a.l.e on Today at 05:57:24 pm »
garry, as i wrote above in 1.5 parts of the font handling has been improved.

if your issues still happen with 1.5 (and i think it's time for you to test it... but it's up to you!) i really think that the details are worth being reported in the bug tracker...
General Discussion / Re: Clickable TOC / document outline in PDF
« Last post by IDN101 on Today at 05:52:06 pm »
Yep- creating links straight in the text (as per Wordpress, Google Docs, etc) would be great- I use a LOT of links in my written tutorials.

That said, with all the other functionality that Scribus provides, I don't mind adding the link frames over the top of the text.
« Last post by IDN101 on Today at 05:46:38 pm »
Thanks guys.

Not had any actual problems with any of the final PDF's. Just seemed strange that the font names dissapeared from the interface once as soon as I tried moving them from "Outline" to "Embedded".

I will try selecting them in one of the PDF's.
« Last post by GarryP on Today at 04:22:49 pm »
a.l.e, all I can add is that I've had situations where:
* a font in the "embedded fonts" box wasn't being embedded;
* a font says it can be embedded but Scribus doesn't embed it;
* a font is neither in the "embedded" or "outlined" box but it gets embedded anyway.
It's just how it is.
1. should not happen.
very soon 1.5.4 should come out. try if it still happens with the newest code. if so, please post your document and steps to reproduce to the bug tracker (https://bugs.scribus.net)

2. it all depends on what is in those 550 KB
   there are a few things that scribus does not like, one of them being very long chains of text frames.

in my experience, 1.5 is pretty snappy, but on my computer it mostly has lot of memory at its disposal...
General Discussion / Re: Automatate image capture from SnagIt?
« Last post by a.l.e on Today at 04:12:10 pm »
i don't know anything about snagit, but it might possible to do what you want with a python scribus that runs inside of scribus...
you can look for script examples in the scribus wiki.
« Last post by a.l.e on Today at 04:08:58 pm »
back to ian's issue...

it's a weird issue.

are your fonts ttf or otf?

iirc, scribus 1.5 prefers the ttf ones...
General Discussion / Re: Automatate image capture from SnagIt?
« Last post by GarryP on Today at 04:08:32 pm »
You're welcome.

1.4.6 has been the stable version for more than two years. This means that most of the bugs and "weird things" are already known and work-arounds have been found for most of them. No-one can say that for 1.5.3. The Scribus team say that 1.5.3 is "stable enough" but I would have to think about whether to drive a car that was advertised as "safe enough".

My recommendation would be to use 1.4.6 and become comfortable using it before even thinking about 1.5.x, but the choice is entirely yours.
« Last post by a.l.e on Today at 04:06:31 pm »
i don't know.

i keep on having some random issues with a few fonts... but i'm really not sure if it's scribus or the pdf reader that is at fault...

also, if i'm not mistaking, the situation has gotten a bit better with 1.5 (less options, more sensible defaults).
« Last post by GarryP on Today at 03:32:04 pm »
The embedding/outlining of fonts is something that Scribus gives you the impression of letting you control but what's in the UI doesn't always reflect what will actually happen. There's discussion about this in various other threads that go into various complicated topics that I won't repeat here. Long story short, don't assume that what Scribus says will happen will actually happen.

My best advice on this would be to export the document and see which text you can select. If you can select the text then Scribus has embedded the font, no matter what it said in the dialog. If you can't select the text then Scribus has outlined the glyphs.

It's not ideal, but at least you will know where you stand and can, perhaps, try different fonts/settings to see if you can get the result you want.

It's a bit of a lottery I'm afraid. Scribus knows exactly what it can and will do with the fonts, but it doesn't always tell the user.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
palmate