Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
PDF Generation / Re: Won't show as a PDF
« Last post by WHYz on June 23, 2018, 11:55:49 pm »
Is that fixable? I no longer need the Sabbath one, but I basically keep most of the info in the doc. and only make some changes to it each week, so I'm pretty interested in any help with that!
« Last post by utnik on June 23, 2018, 07:09:34 am »
…I looked, just the same, and all layers were marked as visible.

…yes, visible but not printable, i suspect! (which means not exported to the .pdf file and invisible when in preview mode…)   

utnik

« Last post by WHYz on June 23, 2018, 01:33:40 am »
Could that have been possible if I can see it all in Scribus? Well, I looked, just the same, and all layers were marked as visible.
« Last post by utnik on June 22, 2018, 11:27:53 pm »
hi whyz   

first take a look at the 'layers' palette – you might have disabled the layer for printing.   

utnik
PDF Generation / Won't show as a PDF
« Last post by WHYz on June 22, 2018, 08:56:51 pm »
Hi, I'm a newbee, but I've been using Scribus now about 6-7 months.

Today, I began to print the bulletin (per my usual on Friday mornings), and I saved my doc. as a PDF. When I went to Adobe Acrobat Reader to print, it was blank. When I went back to see how the doc. looks in Scribus, it looked fine....until I checked out the Preview Mode. Everything disappeared. Any clues to what has happened, and how to undo it?

As a side note: I have recently been working on creating some shortcuts. One of the short cuts was for the preview mode. But I have since removed that shortcut in case that was the problem. It wasn't.Could any of the other shortcuts? (view 200% was one)
General Discussion / Re: Scribus in a workflow? (text issues)
« Last post by FairMiles on June 22, 2018, 08:53:05 pm »
Hi dragonfly,

Might I suggest another workflow to consider:

It's great that you are considering the inclusion of Scribus within a (semi-automatic) workflow. Maybe the addition of filters (to import, to transform) it's the proper solution for Scribus, I don't know. As a general user, however, I see your proposed workflow a bit overkill. One first problem is:

(b) Suggest to multiple authors that they write their content in markdown (the lowest common denominator).

That can be a (very) difficult one depending on the (average) computer/digital literacy of your community of authors. Just as an example, I can't get some/many authors to provide adecuately formatted bitmap figures even after (re)sending detailed instructions… And then

(c) Where there are already legacy pre-written documents in different formats (*.docx, *.odt etc), consider converting them back to markdown so that they can be imported into Scribus (see idea on markdown script below).

That is the main (time-consuming) problem for an efficient workflow. Unless that is automatic and non-dependent on differently configured documents, it becomes very similar to my Workflows C (with Scribus) and D (without) above.

From the Scribus point of view (and that is why I started this thread on this forum) the problem then is that once you get a (very) automated procedure, Scribus becomes innecesary, superfluous or even a complication. If you can't use it to apply uniform format/styles (because the heavy load you do it automatically or in a different program, or because you lose too much previous work when you do it) then it is not very adequate for a text-based workflow based on pre-authored (non-uniform) documents.

It doesn't seem like an impossible task: you can see Writer providing something very similar. I think it's more a problem of development attention than programming dificulty, as a.l.e. suggested. Just as a reference, consider that I do apply paragraph styles to formatted imported text (as .rtf) from a toolbar or a right-click menu without losing character properties (italics, bold, etc.) in an Adobe PageMaker version from 1996…  :-[
Scripts and Plugins / Re: Script commands for textframes
« Last post by Vin_Dunkelheit on June 22, 2018, 04:48:42 pm »
Hello, Oldi.

Where did you get these six commands? I can't find them anywhere… Thanks.
Scripts and Plugins / Editing text style of multiple text frames
« Last post by Vin_Dunkelheit on June 22, 2018, 04:27:31 pm »
Hello, everyone. I am currently working on formatting a lengthy document of an ecological profile and Scribus makes everything easier except for 1.4.6's shortcoming on tables. True, importing .csv files from spreadsheets is an excellent and convenient way to "paste" the table, but formatting becomes the problem especially for really long ones. Formatting each cell in the "Properties Tab" is too impractical and although I know this feature is not yet available in 1.4.6. (not sure about 1.4.7. though, but I doubt it), I am strongly hoping someone knows any scripts that can help me with my problem. If not (meaning, no scripts available), are there other "features" I should look into that might at least reduce the work of formatting text styles per frame? Thank you very much.  ;D
Windows / Re: SOLVED: Scribus Document Windows Not Showing Up
« Last post by Stephen on June 22, 2018, 09:06:36 am »
I opened the file in a code editor (a text editor would probably be OK as well) I found the needed line at line 504
<MainWindow YPosition="120" Width="1437" Height="1008" Maximized="0" XPosition="1537"/>

Using Utnik's info I made these changes to YPosition and XPosition:

<MainWindow YPosition="22" Width="1437" Height="1008" Maximized="0" XPosition="10"/>

UPDATE. After my previous message I had been using Scribus 1.5.4 successfully a few times. Then I had accidentally tried to open my 1.5.4 data file with Scribus 1.4.7, and of course I got the error message. Here is the curious part. Afterward, when I opened Scribus 1.5.4 it began having a similar problem as I had as described at the beginning of the message thread. Then I opened the scribus150.rc file and looked again at line 504. The numbers in red below had changed.

<MainWindow Height="972" YPosition="61" Width="1366" XPosition="1434" Maximized="0"/>

Then, making sure that Scribus was closed, I changed the numbers back to my new settings:
<MainWindow YPosition="22" Width="1366" XPosition="10" Height="972" Maximized="0"/>

I then saved the scribus150.rc file and Scribus 1.5.4 began working correctly again.

Best Wishes,
Stephen
MacOS / Re: Can Scribus for MAC open documents created by Scribus for Windows?
« Last post by scmooney on June 21, 2018, 10:33:55 pm »
Thanks, utnik. This is very good news. I think I can negotiate the font issue OK
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
palmate