Ctrl+Shift+Arrow Move item 0.01 units

* Movement units for picas are points

The following are for inches

Arrow keys Move item 0.139 units**
Ctrl+Arrow Move item 1 unit
Shift+Arrow Move item 0.1 units
Ctrl+Shift+Arrow Move item 0.01 units

** This is about 10 points

Now, I use inches, and I did some testing.  The arrow key movement was not 0.139, but 0.0139.  I also found that with snap to grid off, the arrow key would stop just above, and just below my 1/2" border guide, but with snap on, it would snap to the guide.  Right at .500.

All that being said, nowhere in the manual does it give any instruction on changing the settings.

[edit] I just went back to Scribus, and using the keyboard did NOT snap to the guide.  Hmmm.

P.S. - In Indesign they call using the arrow keys 'nudging' and it can be customized: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/nudge-indesign-44317.html
Beginner Talk / Re: nudging
« Last post by a.l.e on September 13, 2018, 09:13:27 am »
i don't know what exactly nudging means... never heard that verb before. so i might be wrong.

but what i can say: when you resize or move an item with the keyboard, there is -- as far as i know -- no snapping.
this also applies to the editing you do through the properties palette.

afaict the snapping only applies to the mouse movements.
Features / Re: Suggestion: a good start for footnotes Insert > Char > Footnote#
« Last post by jack_cat on September 13, 2018, 07:02:08 am »
The font color thing in Atom I have worked out - just a brain-dead moment.

Lilypond's tag line at the end of the file is annoying and clearly undesirable, but I think that there must be a switch to turn it off instead of having to crop every file. There are switches to suppress several other automatic formatting features built into the code, such as turning off the automatic time signature.

I have high hopes for being able to output examples in staff notation which are all of a standard readable size and to avoid the scaling issues I have had with high-res .png files which are very hard to scale consistently inside Scribus. (It is annoying that Scribus's grid is hidden behind my .png images, if it were possible to make it appear on top of them it would make consistent scaling easier.)

For Lilypond, working inside Atom seems to be a Very Good Thing: today I had an .ly file in one tab, the .svg code showing up in another tab, the svg rendered graphically in another tab, and error messages popping up from lilypond-compile as I typed, all in real time. I don't think I will need all this feedback but it is very useful to see everything that's going on at this stage.

Now, I think it will probably take me a year to get really up to speed with Lilypond, and by that time perhaps you (dragonfly) will have your Markdown-to-Scribus pipeline in place. (I see that such a project was proposed for Scribus in 2013 and is dead in the water.)

Markdown looks very easy. I see that I can use Pandoc to convert to HTML and import to Scribus - I have not done this yet, but I have some experimentation to do before I ask more questions about that, and I haven't acted on all the info that I already have.

Atom itself is more difficult to get simply because it has a bewildering number of capacities but there are many tutorials on youtube and I don't think that I will have to bug you about picayune details any more. I was interested to find that I can run "apm install *package*" from the command line without Atom being open. I have a shortcut to the old DOS command line window because I still use DOS now and then to sort text files.

Now I am going to look at Project Viewer per your last post. Thank you for pointing me to discussions about the database. I am inclined to go ahead and convert the database that exists, because I can't think of anything important to me that is likely to be in it.
thanks
jack
« Last post by steven8 on September 13, 2018, 05:07:49 am »
Wouldn't this be controlled by the snap distance?  If the snap distance is 10px, every time you nudge with the key, your object will grab the next snap point.  File>Preferences>Guides.  In the upper right corner is Snapping.  Snap distance and grab radius.  Version 1.4.7, but it'll be under preferences I imagine in any version.

I may be wrong but that's the only thing I can find that makes sense to me.
Features / Re: Suggestion: a good start for footnotes Insert > Char > Footnote#
« Last post by dragonfly on September 12, 2018, 01:04:41 pm »
"Install the theme atom-material-ui"
I have done this and been through its settings. Only I cannot find a setting for the font color, which is almost too pale to read.

I agree that the default font colour is perhaps too pale. 

Now go to Preferences > Settings > Theme > Atom Material >  and look at Syntax Theme.  It may be that your setting is “One Dark” (as is mine) which does indeed render overly pale text. Experiment with other Syntax Themes in the list.

I remember experimenting and adding the packages .. monokai-seti and seti-ui

apm install monokai-seti
apm install seti-ui

and set Syntax Theme to Monokai Seti.

Of course you can try different settings and there is a link at top of Theme Settings panel which reads .. “You can also style Atom by editing your stylesheet”.

Local database already found! Are you sure you want to lose it?

I have not seen that message. To search I simply used this google search pattern ... (learn about Advanced google search syntax, it can be useful).

Atom NEAR "Local database already found! Are you sure you want to lose it?"

This thread popped up.
https://discuss.atom.io/t/local-database-corrupted/51495

You can try temporarily launching Atom in safe mode which disables all installed packages.

atom --safe

Check if the message does not appear in "Atom safe mode". If so then it is an installed Community Package generating it.

However the discussion thread above points to package project-viewer which I suggested that you install.

There is a local database within project-viewer and the message might refer to that if it is empty or has not been setup to configure projects.

Packages > Project Viewer > Utilities > open database File

This opens ~/.atom/project-viewer.json which contains any projects setup previously.

Here is further discussion on this warning message.

https://github.com/jccguimaraes/atom-project-viewer/issues/115

I would try just toggling the Project Viewer panel on and off to clear the message.

Project viewer is installed. I have not yet done anything with it - it says "no projects". What is the first thing I should do with it?

i do urge you to persevere with this package. It will save a lot of time in navigating through many folders and files, and goes beyond the navigation features in Tree View on the left.

Project Viewer will be valuable later in navigating through various chapters in a project.

Basically, it allows you to define “virtual projects” which on clicking automatically populate an index in the left Project panel (Tree View).

To get started launch the Project Viewer panel from Packages > Project Viewer > Toggle Panel.

There are several methods available to define "virtual projects".

In the Panel you can right click to see:

Create new group...
Create new project...

Start by having a centralised root repository for all your project files although they will be in different sub-directories.

i create ~/Atom-repo/ as my root repository.

Now using your Windows File Manager create as many sub-directories as you wish to manage your projects which will grow in time.

Let us create ~/Atom-repo/lilypond/ .. as a “physical project”
(you will have to use Windows path notation, the above being Linux path)

Now go to Project Viewer Panel, right click, Create project...

The PV editor will appear.

Under "Name" .. type the project name (which need not be the name of your target folder).
Let us name the virtual project as "music".

Note that the create button is at the top of PV editor and after typing configuration settings you will  create a project to be seen in PV Panel.

After defining project name, scroll down to Paths.
Add project folder(s) - [ ? ] each path is a project?

We will keep it simple and simply click on Add project folder(s)
and type in the path to the "real project" folder
~/Atom-repo/lilypond

Now click on Create at top of form.
You will see "music" appearing in the Project Viewer Panel to the right.

In summary we can have a "virtual project" named “music” launching “~/Atom-repo/lilypond” in the left side Project Panel. Or you can name the project "lilypond" if you prefer to match virtual and physical project names.

There are advanced features such as putting projects into groups, or nesting groups. but stay with just projects for now.

Another project might be “MyBook” pointing to your chapters.  And so on.

Lilypond's svg files have an added benefit I had not anticipated: you can open them with Inkscape and move every object around to suit, thus it offers a great deal of tweakability even for newbies, although this is an extra step which should probably be unnecessary because the Lilypond language is supposed to be very precise although with many complexities.

I did consider mentioning Inkscape as SVG editor in the toolchain but thought that this might be too much to take in.

When lilycompile creates an SVG file it places a footer at bottom of compiled page which creates quite a bit of whitespace when embedding the image into markdown. I used Inkscape to move the footer object then cropped the image. One point to watch when cropping is to always use the same width of cropping container, otherwise different scaling might creep in.

the Lilypond language is supposed to be very precise although with many complexities.

The LilyPond application does indeed have a rich command line vocabulary. One should remember that all of the operations we are discussing can be executed through command line and running shell scripts without need for Atom lilycompile which simply calls LilyPond through command line. But Atom allows viewing and editing of content.

Beginner Talk / Re: Parallel text for a bilingual book
« Last post by a.l.e on September 12, 2018, 10:03:45 am »
please, can we stop this political correcct madness with the list of places you've looked everywhere?
really, you've looked all across the google? i mean, they have information to keep you busy for the next couple milions of years...

you have a question, ask it!

now, about the topic.
thre is no way in scribus for syncing two flows of text.
but you can, of course, but a chain of the in english on the odd pages and a chain of text in french on the even pages.
you will probably have to break the chains from time to time, to sync the two flows.

does it help?
« Last post by a.l.e on September 12, 2018, 09:58:56 am »
on the one side the shortcuts normally do work!
no idea what is happening on your case, since you don't give any details on the shortcuts you've been trying.

for the (saner) metric world, the hint for more control is to use mm instead of cm...
take with your representative if you want your country to move into the modern times : - )
Windows / Re: windows system requirements? speed it up?
« Last post by a.l.e on September 12, 2018, 09:55:15 am »
(if you want to test if the vector graphics are the culprits: make a copy of your .sla and open it (make sure that you don't open the original); delete all or most of the graphics and see if the speed improves)
Windows / Re: windows system requirements? speed it up?
« Last post by a.l.e on September 12, 2018, 09:53:47 am »
are the other programs snappy?
if not, the problem is with something using your computer behind the scenes (multiple antivirus, helper tools for your devices fighting each other, search improvers...)

but: lot of vector graphics might be the issue... for now, all you can do: convert the graphics to bitmaps before importing into scribus...
« Last post by Rose on September 12, 2018, 09:12:44 am »
veronicathecow - I'll post details here when I find out how to do it! Good to know it's possible.

dragonfly - That's useful. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. However it doesn't change the nudge values.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10