Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Layout Issues / Re: Problem with text frames
« Last post by GarryP on April 12, 2018, 11:01:16 am »
Just to add a little to what utnik said, printing to a PDF is not the same as exporting to a PDF.

When you print to a PDF - via Scribus' Print function - that's no different than printing to a page except that the output goes to a PDF rather than a physical page. That might sound odd - or obvious - but it's not the same as exporting to a PDF. The print function is not the same as the export function. They work differently.

Printing to a PDF creates the PDF by using a printer driver to take the data from the print function and pushing it to a file rather than a physical printer. What you end up with is, basically, just a graphical image of the document rather than a real PDF. Printing to a PDF will not preserve layers, or bookmarks, or fields, or scripts, or anything like that. Think of the print function as - at best - just creating a photocopy of the document rather than the all-singing all-dancing document itself. On the other hand, exporting to a PDF creates a PDF the "proper" way with all of the features intact.

Many people have reported that the print function doesn't work properly - and quite a few have recommended that it is removed. The export function should always be used to produce output from Scribus whether the resultant PDF is to be physically printed or not. At the very least it can be used as a final proof before printing.
MacOS / Re: OS X install of Sribus 1.5.3
« Last post by GarryP on April 12, 2018, 10:40:32 am »
The SourceForge page can be a little confusing, but knowing that a DMG file is one of the ways to install software on OS X is just something that you have to learn if you are using OS X.
Having said that, since the Linux AppImage and Windows EXE installation files have the OS mentioned in their names, it might be good if the OS X one did so as well. That would at least make it more obvious. (The same goes for the stable version of Scribus too.)
Text and Typography / Re: Properties > text > styles
« Last post by utnik on April 12, 2018, 07:17:20 am »
hi catteau
My version of scribus (1.4.6 on OSX) does not have a styles option within properties>text.  Is that my version?

a screenshot might help
I don't seem to be able to insert an image here (insert image button above gives me html code img - /img - but I think it wants a URL for the image…

try 'attachments and other options' below the input frame.

utnik
Beginner Talk / Re: Trouble with "Get Text"
« Last post by utnik on April 12, 2018, 07:05:59 am »
…the cursor is now a hand and I can do nothing with the text except in Story editor.

double clicking will bring you from frame editing to content editing mode.
Where is text in properties in 1.5.3?

there is a new palette for 'text properties'. (f3)

utnik
Layout Issues / Re: Problem with text frames
« Last post by utnik on April 12, 2018, 06:57:51 am »
hi esjai

direct printing from scribus may or may not work. i wouldn't recommend it!
how did you generate your .pdf file? the correct way is to export it via 'file' → 'export' → 'save as pdf'.

utnik
Beginner Talk / Re: Trouble with "Get Text"
« Last post by remadepreacher on April 12, 2018, 03:53:44 am »
I can now answer #3, Get Text is in Content. Also the problems with #2 are not happening in 1.5.3. Unfortunately, the result is the same as in #1. A cursor shows over the text until you click it, then it becomes a hand.

Also, now there is a new question,
4. Where is text in properties in 1.5.3?
Layout Issues / Problem with text frames
« Last post by esjai on April 12, 2018, 03:10:59 am »
I am very new to Scribus, so I am guessing I've missed something, but I have an issue with the right hand side of all my text frames cutting off. Images are fine, it's just the text frames. They appear fine when looking at them in Scribus, but not when printed to either a printer or pdf. I've attached a print screen of Scribus as well as one of the pdf output. I have search both Google and the forum, but I can't find a fix.
Thank you for any help! I appreciate it.

PS: I love Scribus. Thank you for such a wonderful free software.
Beginner Talk / Trouble with "Get Text"
« Last post by remadepreacher on April 12, 2018, 01:51:57 am »
I have three issues to bring up in this subject:
1. I've created new documents with 30 pages and linked automatic text boxes. If I paste in plain text in the first box and move the mouse over the text you see the cursor. But if I use get text for input from an .odt the cursor is now a hand and I can do nothing with the text except in Story editor. I've tried checking different options with paragraph styles and it makes no difference. As I'm needing to use advanced text options in properties, this won't do. I'm using Scribus 1.4.6 in OS X High Sierra. I also opened it in 1.5.3 and the trouble remains the same.
2. The second document I tried this on will not get text properly. This happened with the first one as well, until I removed a picture and footnotes. But I've removed those from this one and it still jumbles up nearly 7 pages of text on to the the bottom of the first and the second page. Both documents were created on OO Writer and have the same content and formatting.
3. How do you get text from an .odt in 1.5.3?
MacOS / Re: OS X install of Sribus 1.5.3
« Last post by remadepreacher on April 12, 2018, 12:35:20 am »
Thanks, d.l.e. It was hard to know .dmg was for OS X.
Text and Typography / Properties > text > styles
« Last post by catteau on April 11, 2018, 07:55:20 pm »
I keep seeing instructions to apply styles by following "Properties > text > styles"

My version of scribus (1.4.6 on OSX) does not have a styles option within properties>text.  Is that my version?  I'm really confused! 

I don't seem to be able to insert an image here (insert image button above gives me html code img - /img - but I think it wants a URL for the image, I don't seem to be able to upload an image here).  So what I see in properties> text is five rows of stuff to set the font and font size, followed by a box for setting columns and their width and spacing, and within that box, another box labeled "Tabulators".   That's it.  I've clicked on everything I can find within Properties to see if it might be elsewhere, but I don't see any option to select styles.

I have found the menus to set styles through Edit > text > styles, but I'm baffled as to why everyone else seems to have it in Properties as well.

Thanks!

catteau
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10