Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Layout Issues / Re: 2 x A3-posters in an 8 page A4 layout
« Last post by a.l.e on September 19, 2018, 09:06:24 pm »
In Scribus you can mix pages of different size.
Just pick the isze when creating a new page...

Concerning the colors: in page layout most people have to use a specific set of colors, which they can import or create in Scribus.
"Edit > Colors" lets you create your colors.

In the preferences, you can also pick a different set of color that will be created by default... but i'm not sure, it's a good idea to use bigger sets...
General Discussion / Re: Two problems with Scribus 1.5.3 running under Mac OSX
« Last post by AdmFubar on September 19, 2018, 08:32:29 pm »
Are there any images in this file? If so and they are large and resized this may be the cause.
Has there been any recent updates to OSX? Something may be broken (or fixed) in an update that causes this issue.
Layout Issues / 2 x A3-posters in an 8 page A4 layout
« Last post by p_persson on September 19, 2018, 07:01:20 pm »
How do I create a broschure that has 8 pages i A4 size and containing 2 x A3 posters ?

The posters should be on  page 2 and 7, 4 and 5.

Also how do I add colour pads in Scrubus, after installing the software there is only 10 to 15 colors to choice from.
General Discussion / Re: Two problems with Scribus 1.5.3 running under Mac OSX
« Last post by a.l.e on September 19, 2018, 03:59:55 pm »
yes, you can get scribus from here https://www.scribus.net/downloads install it and then open with it your scribus files!
Linux / Re: Weird ux scale when installing scribus 1.5.3 on debian 9
« Last post by a.l.e on September 19, 2018, 10:04:36 am »
well, i have to suppose that i have an insane resolution and you just have a higher resolution : - )

you can control the size of the widgets by disabling the qt autoscaling and setting a specific scale:

you can create a small script that starts scribus with a good scale:

export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0
export QT_SCALE_FACTOR=2
scribus

where you can replace the 2 by the factor that best suits you. depending on your monitor,
Linux / Re: Weird ux scale when installing scribus 1.5.3 on debian 9
« Last post by edi0th on September 19, 2018, 09:28:30 am »
Hey ! Sorry for the late answer and really thank you for answering !

I. Never. Thought, about putting the toolbar on the left, and it changes my life. Thank you !
But it doesnt change the fact that my icons seem wayyy bigger than yours.

If you say that it's a bug relative to high res support then I'll just wait : )
But isn't weird that older version did support my hq screen while the new doesn't ? (noob question)

Anyway thanks again !
Features / Re: Suggestion: a good start for footnotes Insert > Char > Footnote#
« Last post by jack_cat on September 18, 2018, 03:31:39 pm »
We see a fertile mind at work. I don't know how long it will take me to catch up.
I will plug along in Dragonfly's dust trail. Hasta pronto.
« Last post by dragonfly on September 17, 2018, 01:59:39 pm »
I think of my print project in terms of a series of two-page spreads, offering a series of 17" by 11" workspaces which must each communicate as complete an idea as possible, ideally without a page turn in mid-thought, so as not to require a reader studying the material to flip pages back and forth between graphical example and explanation

I am writing a separate tutorial as I again walk through the installation of an Atom framework from scratch, recognising that there will be different types of user.

One tip I will pass on here.

You will benefit from setting up "virtual desktops" on your PC. In Ubuntu I can create a grid of virtual desktops and launch multiple instances of Atom windows. Each window instance can then be moved to a "virtual desktop" Thus, you can be editing and testing markdown in one virtual desktop and previewing your rendered music score in other virtual desktops.

You might emulate your envisaged 17" x 11" music sheets across two dedicated virtual desktops.

Summarising (using virtual desktops or workspaces instead of tabs which can become cluttered in a small screen):

virtual desktop 1 - writing markdown, previewing notes, pages, chapters (Markdown Preview Enhanced)
virtual desktop 2 - previewing LilyPond compiled SVG
virtual desktop 3 - previewing left hand page music score (8.5" x 11" ?)
virtual desktop 4 - previewing right hand page music score (8.5" x 11" ?)
... and other desktops/workspaces as required

In Ubuntu my workspace switcher is setup to appear in bottom Docky status bar.

Further tweaking this idea ...

After further experimenting with Atom I see that any Atom window can be toggled to full screen display via View > Toggle Full Screen (F11).
This allows the two (or more) music score workspaces to be navigated without the clutter of menu bars at top of screen.  A separate command could load different music score pairs into the two music score workspaces.
page1+2, page3+4, page5+6, page7+8 .. and so on to end of composition.

Navigate workspaces grid by [Ctrl+Alt+Arrow Right, Left, Up, Down].
And to view the thumbnail workspace grid use [Superkey+S].

All that is needed now is to hook up a hands free USB footswitch to navigate through these workspaces - while playing the music composition.

End of brain storm.

« Last post by dragonfly on September 15, 2018, 12:30:32 pm »
Here is another tool .. Zotero .. to bear in mind in future for adding/importing citations, bibliographies (e.g. composers) into your markdown documents.  My recommendation is to download the "standalone" Zotero version plus the Zotero connector extension which is installed into a browser. Then when you read a music item or composer biography you can click on the save to zotero icon in browser bar to add item to your collection.

https://forums.zotero.org/search/?Search=music

Open a free account and create your own collection of music research and citations can be added into markdown.

Your Zotero collection can be private or public. You keep a local collection and sync it with your account on Zotero.

I will be adding this option to the Atom framework.

This takes you into the world of digital libraries and how major libraries categorise music.
« Last post by dragonfly on September 14, 2018, 10:33:01 pm »
Certainly adds more food for thought. I can see that "music flow" (reading music sheets while playing music score) adds another dimension to the design of the workflow. I am neither a musician or composer.

Perhaps you could “emulate” the display of music sheets by using presentation techniques.

Within Markdown Preview Enhanced there is a documented Pandoc option to specify in markdown to create a presentation (look at reveal.js and beamer) instead of printed PDF.  You simply add frontmatter (YAML) to produce a two page presentation of music sheets which can “screen flip”.

https://github.com/shd101wyy/markdown-preview-enhanced/blob/master/docs/presentation-intro.md

Thus, I have a vague idea that you could emulate music sheets being viewed and flipped over, while the musician continues to play the score.

The workflows in reading a music book and playing music from a digital presentation present different challenges.

Some interesting links you might follow up:-

https://www.4barsrest.com/articles/2013/1413.asp

https://www.timbercroftpublishing.com/

And to avoid your works being ripped off study Digital Rights Management.  There is software available (actually only in Windows) which stamps your end product and embeds digital signatures.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10