Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
General Discussion / Re: Donations
« Last post by Franz Gratzer on December 08, 2018, 05:31:48 pm »
I have been searching for a donation possibility too – and failed. Donating time seems much harder because getting to a point where I could actually help instead of binding resources for getting shown around needs time. Given enough funding there could be a paid employee – at least temporarily. I get that accepting donations would mean to create any kind of legal base for accepting donations but I am surprised that such an important project as Scribus doesn't seem to have it yet. Are there any specific problems? Or is there just nobody who wants to get involved in this kind of stuff?
Text and Typography / Automatic letter spacing as addition to glyph extension?
« Last post by Franz Gratzer on December 08, 2018, 05:11:50 pm »
Today I reported two issues on bugs.scribus.net. I am delighted how fast jghali gave feedback on it. He closed my first report because he claims it has been resolved in a newer version. So far, so good.

My second bug report is a bit trickier. I didn't use hyphens properly since I didn't know how they were meant to be used. But the second aspect in this report wasn't on glyph extension which jghali was referring to in his reasoning for closing the issue.

Since he pointed me to this forum to ask any "beginner questions" I registered and try my luck here.

To me extending or narrowing of letters is rather different from letter spacing since I normally want to keep the specific letter form but might want them to be a little more spread out or tighter together. In fact I admit a mixture of both would be great to have at our disposal.

Maybe I just didn't find it yet and a feature does actually exist in Scribus:
Can I define a range for letter spacing that Scribus would automatically use to set the best value for any given line?
Features / Re: Suggestion: a good start for footnotes Insert > Char > Footnote#
« Last post by dragonfly on December 07, 2018, 03:21:46 pm »
You can also place notes in your current workflow into a separate layer.
You can then preview pages with and without the notes layer enabled.
Linux / Re: Looking for Scribus 1.4.7 on Manjaro
« Last post by a.l.e on December 07, 2018, 02:46:50 pm »
i guess you have to compile it...

or consider 1.5.4 being stable...

whatever looks easier to you : - )
Linux / Looking for Scribus 1.4.7 on Manjaro
« Last post by Derek on December 07, 2018, 12:47:00 am »
I changed from Kubuntu to Manjaro, recently, to take advantage of the rolling release model. I'd trashed my Kubuntu installation anyway, so it was a convenient time to make the change.  ::)

I was surprised to find Scribus 1.5.4 seems to be available in AUR despite, if I read it right, 1.5.4 not being considered stable yet - but 1.4.7 not available in AUR.

Is a 147 package available anywhere for Manjaro, or am I going to have to build it from source? Is that even a sensible move for a noobie Manjaro (Arch) user? Any warnings or tips about problems I might run into?

Beginner Talk / Re: Compatibility
« Last post by mnawij on December 06, 2018, 10:34:27 pm »
Thanks a.l.e., no it is just that I have 1.5.4 and a friend I am working on for a monthly newsletter can only run 1.5.3 since their computer (mac) operating system is 10.9.5, just curious if I would run into any issues!

mnawij
Features / Re: Suggestion: a good start for footnotes Insert > Char > Footnote#
« Last post by jack_cat on December 06, 2018, 10:24:14 pm »
An update on my current workaround with the end-note issue which started this thread:
Still working w/ version 1.4.6 (ha, going to have to upgrade someday...)

I am working in an 8.5 x 11" format with wide margins, and I have taken to putting the entire end-note texts into text boxes in teeny type in the margins next to the end-noted passage in the draft .sla file for each chapter. When I send the file to a draft .pdf, the notes are handy to their sources. When the draft is finished it will be easier to collect them all and put them in another .sla file together, than it would be if I had kept them in a separate file, and to fix all of the numbers at the same time while they are still side-by-side in the same file, and not have to go back and forth between windows. Until that point, it does not matter whether the numbering is correct, as long as I keep the marginal note and the noted text on the same page. I could easily do same-page footnotes with this same process, but I don't want the clutter on the page, so I still intend to use end-notes. This is not as streamlined as it might be, but it is an improvement over what I was doing before. Understand, I am still composing directly in Scribus in spite of all advice not to.
Features / Re: "Edit Image" does not account for Gimp being open already
« Last post by jack_cat on December 06, 2018, 10:09:12 pm »
Ayy, I might have to upgrade after all. Thanks for telling me!
Beginner Talk / Re: Compatibility
« Last post by a.l.e on December 06, 2018, 09:25:17 am »
hi mnawij,

the  rule is:

- there is no guarantee of compatibility between development releases. it's unlikely that files will become unreadable (and i don't think it has ever happened) but there might be glitches (different end of lines, slightly different position of items, ...)
- the team tries hard to ensure forward compatibility between stable releases (but at this point it's still unclear if this will be possible for the 1.4 to 1.6 migration: the new text engine is making that harder!)

now, to your question: i'm not aware of any important incompatibility between 1.5.3 and 1.5.4 (in both directions...)... do you have any evidence of something happening?

the release notes do not seem to suggest any breakage: https://www.scribus.net/scribus-1-4-7-and-1-5-4-released/

(on the other side, 1.5.3 is the first release with the new text engine, so you have to expect changes when exchanging files with 1.5.2 and 1.5.1)
Beginner Talk / Compatibility
« Last post by mnawij on December 06, 2018, 06:44:52 am »
Hi Everyone! Are there any backwards compatibility issues with Scribus files generated in 1.5.4 back to 1.5.3? Is it just major dot release or minor dot releases for compatibility?

Thanks!

mnawij
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
palmate