Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Beginner Talk / Re: How to output embeded PDFs in full resolution?
« Last post by cheflo on July 15, 2018, 01:05:43 am »
Sorry for not replying previously. I recently upgraded to scribus 1.4.7, and I am still seeing the same issue. I am on Antergos (Arch Linux derivative, kernel 4.17.4) and I install scribus via the the Arch community repo (I tried installing 1.5.4 from the user repos but it would not build correctly).

When I do File --> Import --> Vector, the exported PDF looks great, but when I try to link a PDF file via the Insert Image box, I see the error I reported previously and the output is pixelated cannot be edited as a vector in Inkscape. I have tried with different PDF and EPS files and the result is always the same.
PDF Generation / Re: Scribus 1.5.4 crashes when exported to PDF. What to do?
« Last post by dragonfly on July 14, 2018, 10:51:05 pm »

I am far from being experienced in troubleshooting Scribus but since you write that your need is "very urgent" I offer the checklist I would run through.

“multipage document” is too vague as a description.
 What operating system in use(Windows, Linux, Mac)?
 What size ram?
 How many pages in document?
 What mix of text and images?
 What language, fonts in use?
 What is the size of your *.sla file?
 Have you tried Preview?
 Have you tried Print Preview?
 You can select profile:
 PDF 1.3, 1.4, 1.5, X1a, X3, X4, Postscript

Can you try opening *.sla file in XML Copy Editor
 http://xml-copy-editor.sourceforge.net
 In XML Copy Editor validate the document (see buttons in top menu bar).

You have the option to Export as EPS, PDF, Image, SVG, EPS.

Have you tried exporting as other file type?

Here is a similar thread for reference.

http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,2613.msg12090.html#msg12090

Read the last post in that thread and try exporting to a different folder.

Have you ever previously exported a Scribus file as PDF or is this a first?
PDF Generation / Scribus 1.5.4 crashes when exported to PDF. What to do?
« Last post by JALESH KUMAR A S on July 14, 2018, 06:54:26 pm »
I am doing a multipage document in Scribus 1.5.4, which is very urgent. While exporting to PDF, Scribus crashes. What is the remedy?
in scribus 1.5 there is a textOverflows() function you can call on the text frames...

it might or not be there in 1.4... i haven't checked...

and don't try to link hundreds of pages in one chain... you scribus will crawl!

also, you can use insert > frames to create linked frames... but, sadly, this feature misses the option to use the current selection as the reference for the newly created frames.
this might or not be of some help for you.

and if you have less then hundreds of pages, in 1.5 you can zoom out your document and you can create full page (filling the guides) frames by simply pressing N and the shift-clicking on the empty page. if you make the tools sticky, you don't even have to press the N each time.
I am searching for a method to auto detect (by python script) any textframe(s) which shows the “Overflow Characters” {x} button at bottom.

I do not see this button by inspecting the *.sla code so I assume that this overflow button is created by the Scribus rendering engine?  If I hover the cursor over the {x} button a popup message gives  information about the extent of textframe overflow.
e.g. Overflow Characters: 95 (13 White Spaces)
How can I access this meta information from python script?

My interest is to develop a script which imports document chunks (perhaps chapters or sections) which automatically expands the host Scribus template (required extra pages with linked textframes inserted as overflow template by script) to accommodate the imported document.  Pages containing existing content will be pushed down.

I did read this thread ...

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/How_can_I_make_a_document_of_100%2B_pages%3F

And also an old tutorial found here ...

https://www.packtpub.com/mapt/book/hardware_and_creative/9781849513005/4/ch04lvl1sec07/time-for-action---import-it-from-shakespeare-land%252c-going-on%2521

reads .. in para 5 ..

Of course if you have hundreds of pages (for example the complete works of Shakespeare) it can be boring to link each page to the next.

This is my point.
I'm not sure if this helps your case.
For search and replace patterns in the *.sla code (which is xml) I am using XML Copy editor ...

http://xml-copy-editor.sourceforge.net

You can wrap or unwrap the displayed code (including character style elements).
Of course other XML compatible editors do the same job.
Layout Issues / RH page suddenly has gutter margin on RHS??
« Last post by LesCM19 on July 11, 2018, 10:22:11 pm »
What on Earth have I done now?

The master pages of 95% of the contents have headers, footers & page numbering. They are all fine and unaffected by this. However the last few pages contain reference tables and as such I created different L&R masterpages with the same background but with no header, footer & page numbering.

I now notice that there are gutter margins on the RH edge of the RH page. I did not notice them before, I may have had Guides hidden.

Am I going to have to delete and redo the last few pages of the book?
Text and Typography / Is there a way to search and replace on character style?
« Last post by crickxson on July 11, 2018, 05:38:23 pm »
There a way to search and replace on paragraph style. But on character style? It would be verrrry practical :)
I'm talking from Scribus-NG 1.5.4.
Thx!
Tutorials, Tips and How-Tos / background color PDF Combo Box
« Last post by james3 on July 11, 2018, 11:43:35 am »
Hello,
does anyone knows how to set a background color in a PDF combo box?  I try to do that in the window where it allows me to change the text values but it doesn't work

PDF Generation / Strange PDF Error
« Last post by Farland on July 11, 2018, 12:12:58 am »
So I created a large project in Scribus. I export it as a PDF (in both X1a and X3 versions) but something seems to be wrong with the PDF.  When I open them in Adobe Acrobat, it often crashes Acrobat or causes it to hang.  It won't upload to DriveThruRPG, and when I can open it in Acrobat, if I try to do anything to it like save it as an optimized PDF, it throws a "there was an error when processing images" or simply produces an "Out of Memory" error.  I could used some help here.  Any ideas what is going on?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
palmate