Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Beginner Talk / Hyphenation in 1.4.6 after using Edit Text tool
« Last post by PemburySinger on January 16, 2018, 06:31:20 pm »
I have left and right justified text in my "Tutorial" magazine, and it's supposed to hyphenate, but this isn't happening. I've been into File>Preferences and File>Document Setup and ensured that hyphenation is selected, but it seems to be ignored. What I see in the window that comes up when setting this up is "Hyphenate Text Automatically During Typing". How is this supposed to work when text is copied from a document and pasted into the text editor tool?
Text and Typography / Re: What do green squares with s inside mean for a font?
« Last post by sapopaco on January 16, 2018, 01:45:28 pm »
Hi,
it's been a long time since this thread was opened, but anyway, as this is the first context related result I got from Google in 2017, typing the keywords "scribus S fonts", and the solution posted here do not solve my problem, and as I have managed to find out a solution by myself, it may be useful for the next one searching this topic.

I had first installed the fonts I had in bulk in a folder, simply copy&pasting all the subfolders containing each font, into the .fonts folder in my home directory.
I have done this without using the terminal by doing so:
-Pressing Ctrl+H in home, will make visible all hidden folders.The way you tell Linux to create a hidden folder is simply by adding firstly a period to the folder name.
Thus, if you do not see any .fonts folder appear once you type Ctrl+H, you have to create one in your system because this is where all apps will search the fonts.
-Then you copy and paste all the folders containing the fonts in this .fonts folder, BUT from there may be the problem you are experiencing with the S font appearing in Scribus. While it's certainly better to have each font family in a different folder instead of having all the fonts files together pasted in .fonts folder, do not let the font files be located in a sub-sub-sub... folder from the first folder, i.e. do not nest too much the typeface files in order to avoid errors while loading or retrieving them from such deep locations from the system. Some of my typefaces, have been readed correctly by scribus even if they were located in a sub-sub-folder but for the two concerned by this issue, I solved it by allowing only to be present in a sub-folder of the .fonts folder as for example in my case:
/.fonts/AntiquaTorunska/ALL THE FILES OF ANTIQUA TORUNSKA(BOLD, LIGHT BOLD, ETC.) :D
Beginner Talk / Re: Drag & drop not working in Arrange Pages
« Last post by utnik on January 16, 2018, 01:12:19 pm »
hi pemburysinger
I have Windows 7, not Windows 10, and Arrange Pages doesn't work on Windows 7 in the way you describe…

i just checked 'arrange pages' with scribus 1.4.6 on a windows 7 machine. as long as i don't try to move the last page, everything (adding new pages, moving existing pages) works as expected.

either your system is partly broken or you do something strange…

utnik
Beginner Talk / Re: V1.5.3 Text Properties
« Last post by utnik on January 16, 2018, 12:56:21 am »
hi redtiger
The other thing I find a pain is the story editor. Why doesn't it work like a normal word processor. OK it is usable but just not user friendly.

just don't use it!
edit your text either in a text editor before you place it in the scribus file – or direct in the frame…

utnik
Beginner Talk / Re: V1.5.3 Text Properties
« Last post by redtiger on January 15, 2018, 02:05:12 pm »
This was causing me real greif as a new user. To overcome the line spacing being fixed I had resorted to using a textframe for each line. I checked the manuals and did not have the properties>text as it specified.
Checking updates I found reference to the new text properties but it did not say how to open them.

I hope this information will make scribus much easier for me as I find its function really useful.

The other thing I find a pain is the story editor. Why doesn't it work like a normal word processor. OK it is usable but just not user friendly.

Beginner Talk / Re: Pixels and Scribus
« Last post by GarryP on January 15, 2018, 11:45:52 am »
You're welcome.

To digress slightly, if you need to make closing credits for your video you might want to look at using Blender to create something simple pretty quickly with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-lKxaZg5s (The original poster uses GIMP to create the credit roll but you can use Scribus instead; just create a very long custom-sized page and export the end result to an image.) Once you've done it once, all you need to do is change the image and one or two camera/timing settings and you can re-use it for many projects.

I'm sure there are easier ways to do this but the Blender route will allow you to build on your work-flow to introduce things like parallax scrolling, other effects, and 3D animations when you need them.

Just thought I'd mention this while I remembered it.
PDF Generation / Re: Problems embedding fonts
« Last post by mnawij on January 15, 2018, 05:21:39 am »
Welcome lesleysprite,

Would your printer accept the file with the fonts outlined? I know that I prefer receiving files with the fonts outlined, btw I am a commercial printer.

Cheers!

mnawij
Beginner Talk / Re: Pixels and Scribus
« Last post by dezcat on January 14, 2018, 09:55:16 pm »
Thank you, GarryP...as usual, you nailed it!
« Last post by GarryP on January 14, 2018, 04:09:56 pm »
You already said that you were using Windows 7 but I didn't see why Scribus would behave any differently between 7 and 10. There are some differences between OS X and Windows and Linux but the differences are usually - in my experience at least - only between the different OSes and not between different versions of the same OS.

The tiny bit of testing that I did didn't show the problems you're having so I've no idea what's going wrong.

Unless you're going to be rearranging pages, the Arrange Pages function isn't much use - in my opinion - for checking the overall layout as you can't see what's on the pages. You can get an idea of the overall layout by just zooming out of your document but you can only see a bit of a long document which might not be ideal. It would be great if we could choose how many spreads were shown across the canvas - rather than the current situation of just the 1/2/3 pages depending on document type - but maybe that could be something for a later version.

Anyway, if you insert pages in the usual way - as mentioned above - as you say you are going to be doing then you should be fine.
« Last post by PemburySinger on January 14, 2018, 11:58:00 am »
Hi GarryP, I have Windows 7, not Windows 10, and Arrange Pages doesn't work on Windows 7 in the way you describe, except for the first page 2, and then only after exiting Scribus, going back into it and loading the file. After that, there is no dark rectangle, and it is inert.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I will continue to use Pages>Insert from now on, and simply use Arrange Pages to check the overall layout when I feel the need.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10