Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Beginner Talk / Re: Trouble with "Get Text"
« Last post by utnik on April 13, 2018, 05:24:21 am »
hi remadepreacher

…I still do not see text in the options in properties in 1.5.3 after clicking or highlighting on the text.

i may tell you the same thing once more: in scribus 1.5.x the text properties are collected in a separate window!!! – you open it by pressing the 'f3' key! – there's no help if you don't read it!

I should explain what all I had to go through to get it. I began with MS Word and had huge amount of corruption and weird behavior. Eventually, I dumped Word. To purify the text, I took a screen shot of each page and used the ocr in Adobe Acrobat to get the text. Some words did not look right, so I retyped them either ahead or behind in the middle of another word and cut the offender. Then I put this text in an online compare document program, Diffnow.com. and compared the text with the original. I corrected the new text there and copy and pasted into Text Edit.
I think that some new corruption may remain in the text from this process as some pretty ordinary words are not being recognized by spell check. Now that the program is working all right with it, should I trust it? Or will it create trouble down the road? I tried attaching a sample .odt but this program will not accept that so converted to .doc

i don't know why you're doing all this weird stuff. but i can load your text in text frames in scribus 1.4.6 and 1.5.3 either with 'get text'  (well, i saved the file in .odt format before…) or by pasting it into the 'story editor' (which i almost never use in my real work…)
everything works as expected – the text is editable direct in the text frame.

utnik
Text and Typography / Re: Properties > text > styles
« Last post by catteau on April 13, 2018, 02:55:40 am »
GarryP and utnik, T=thanks for your comments.  Now I see how to attach the screenshot - and somehow I also found where the menus are for both styles and colors in the properties window!  Problems solved!
« Last post by remadepreacher on April 13, 2018, 02:52:28 am »
Ok, I just checked the font of the doc from Text Edit I was imputing. Some of it was a font called menlo — which is strange because Helvetica new is default in Text Edit. I remember Scribus asking if it was ok to substitute for Helvitica Neu. I now changed the to Georgia (my choice for most of the chapters). I still had to paste into Story Editor. I can double click on the text and the cursor work now (btw, I was double clicking before). I can erase that, double click and type new text in. I tried downloading a chapter in get text, it works perfectly, as well. I can even drag and drop in. I went to new document from template in 1.4.6. I couldn't double click on a new text box in it until I pasted the Georgia text into Story Editor again. I'm attaching a blank doc from that Template.
I still don't understand how this behavior migrated over to 1.5.3 when I created a new document at the beginning. I just did this again and it is fine.

Main problem left — I still do not see text in the options in properties in 1.5.3 after clicking or highlighting on the text.

This is a side issue but I'm still a bit concerned about the text. I should explain what all I had to go through to get it. I began with MS Word and had huge amount of corruption and weird behavior. Eventually, I dumped Word. To purify the text, I took a screen shot of each page and used the ocr in Adobe Acrobat to get the text. Some words did not look right, so I retyped them either ahead or behind in the middle of another word and cut the offender. Then I put this text in an online compare document program, Diffnow.com. and compared the text with the original. I corrected the new text there and copy and pasted into Text Edit.
I think that some new corruption may remain in the text from this process as some pretty ordinary words are not being recognized by spell check. Now that the program is working all right with it, should I trust it? Or will it create trouble down the road? I tried attaching a sample .odt but this program will not accept that so converted to .doc

« Last post by RodneyLee on April 12, 2018, 10:51:02 pm »
I find I have to switch to the pointer/select tool then double click on the text box to edit in the box
« Last post by utnik on April 12, 2018, 06:57:03 pm »
hi remadepreacher
This is the first I've heard creating automatic text boxes may not be the best.

well, i use them with almost every text heavy project. if you're careful, it's a strong and fast way to deal with text.
I gather text does not come up in properties in 1.5.3 until you click on the text.

see my post above!
…today I pasted plain text in 1.5.3 using Story Editor, it also can not be effected from the text box.

could you upload a sample file?

utnik
Layout Issues / Re: Problem with text frames
« Last post by esjai on April 12, 2018, 04:04:44 pm »
You guys are the best. That fixed the problem exactly. The worst part is that I have a degree in computers (even though it's almost 13 years old) and I still never thought of that. I guess I'm too used to programs that only have a print option, not an export.

Thank you !!
« Last post by remadepreacher on April 12, 2018, 03:24:44 pm »
Thanks for responding.
I have double clicked many times, no difference. I also created the first of these without automatic text frames — once again the result are the same. This is the first I've heard creating automatic text boxes may not be the best. It doesn't take long, I'll keep that in mind.
I gather text does not come up in properties in 1.5.3 until you click on the text. Thus, I can't see it.
Update, today I pasted plain text in 1.5.3 using Story Editor, it also can not be effected from the text box.
« Last post by GarryP on April 12, 2018, 11:45:25 am »
First I would recommend not to use automatic text frames. That's not everyone's opinion, but I've seen people get into weird trouble when using them.
Even if you have hundreds of pages I would still recommend manually creating the frames, as the time spent creating the frames will be far less than the time needed to get out of trouble if something goes wrong.

Generally, the mouse pointer changes from a top-left-to-bottom-right arrow to a hand when it moves onto an object - text frame, rectangle, whatever - that is selected. The contents of the object should make no difference to this. It's just Scribus saying "the pointer is over something that is active".

Try creating a new document and adding the text frames manually - using Snap to Guides (which also works with the margins) - as see how you get on.
Text and Typography / Re: Properties > text > styles
« Last post by GarryP on April 12, 2018, 11:23:35 am »
Some extra things on top of what utnik suggests:
* Where did you get your copy of Scribus from, and how did you install it?
* Please go to menu "Help -> About Scribus", copy the text at the bottom of the dialog (starting with "Scribus Version" and going all the way to the end of the text), and paste it into your reply.
Layout Issues / Re: Problem with text frames
« Last post by GarryP on April 12, 2018, 11:01:16 am »
Just to add a little to what utnik said, printing to a PDF is not the same as exporting to a PDF.

When you print to a PDF - via Scribus' Print function - that's no different than printing to a page except that the output goes to a PDF rather than a physical page. That might sound odd - or obvious - but it's not the same as exporting to a PDF. The print function is not the same as the export function. They work differently.

Printing to a PDF creates the PDF by using a printer driver to take the data from the print function and pushing it to a file rather than a physical printer. What you end up with is, basically, just a graphical image of the document rather than a real PDF. Printing to a PDF will not preserve layers, or bookmarks, or fields, or scripts, or anything like that. Think of the print function as - at best - just creating a photocopy of the document rather than the all-singing all-dancing document itself. On the other hand, exporting to a PDF creates a PDF the "proper" way with all of the features intact.

Many people have reported that the print function doesn't work properly - and quite a few have recommended that it is removed. The export function should always be used to produce output from Scribus whether the resultant PDF is to be physically printed or not. At the very least it can be used as a final proof before printing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
palmate