Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Text and Typography / Re: another Interesting Issue
« Last post by GarryP on January 19, 2018, 12:09:08 pm »
Without being able to look at the original document I would guess that this is something to do with how the text is formatted.

It looks like Scribus is drawing the dots using different fonts on different lines and, because different fonts/variants have different character widths, the dots have different widths.

Try changing the formatting of the frame as a whole - to "refresh" it to a standard format - and then re-formatting the characters of the text where necessary rather than the paragraphs. (You might lose the tabulator settings while doing this so make a note of them first just in case.)

Scribus has loads of little quirks when it comes to the details of certain functions and the tabulator isn't immune. It's usually just a case of knowing where these quirks lurk and working around them.
Text and Typography / Re: What languages work as of today (2018)?
« Last post by a.l.e on January 19, 2018, 11:55:47 am »
this is the document i was mentioning:

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Complex_Script_Functionality

it's probably not up to date and it does not make much sense to mention how complex script languages work before 1.5.3,

i still don't find many references of chinese and japanese (which are not complex script languages...)... but if you go to the chinese section in

https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Made_with_Scribus

you'll find a pdf that has chinese text that (probably) go top down, right left... no idea if it was really done in scribus and how it has been done...

afaik, the biggeset issue with chinese is to get the input system to work well with scribus...

sadly, i cannot type or read any non latin language, so i cannot judge how well scribus works with them...
Installation and Setup / Re: Properties dialogue
« Last post by GarryP on January 19, 2018, 11:44:06 am »
Welcome to the forum tamskinner.

I might not be understanding your predicament correctly but is there any reason why you can't just resize the PP dialog?

If you can say which OS you're using and which version of Scribus then someone might be able to give you more help.

If you can attach a screen-shot that would help with diagnosing the problem.
Installation and Setup / Properties dialogue
« Last post by tamskinner on January 19, 2018, 08:58:24 am »
My properties dialogue box contents appear to have spread out! Previously I could use the drop downs and spinners in the box ok but now I have to scroll across to see them. If I want to see width without scroll, the dialogue box is a bout 1/3 of the width of the screen with masses of dead space!  I've had a dig a round and cant see this answered anywhere, sorry it's very basic!
Beginner Talk / Re: Automatic page numbering
« Last post by PemburySinger on January 18, 2018, 10:52:17 pm »
Thanks utnik. That's fab.
Text and Typography / another Interesting Issue
« Last post by RodneyLee on January 18, 2018, 05:34:15 pm »
So I finally got tabs to work for me, laying out 44 page phonebook, I have 2 tabs with leading dots, 1 at 1.53 and the other at 1.90, 10 and 7 digit phone numbers
I just noticed the dot spaceing changes, see screengrab, its not a real problem for me, I do find it interesting though.
Text and Typography / Re: Why is Scribus 1.5.3 changing chosen font?
« Last post by RodneyLee on January 18, 2018, 05:06:18 pm »
I posted a similar issue, My default font is times and works perfect if its a 1.5.3 NEW document, when I use an 1.5.2 or earlier document in 1.5.3,  if I highlight text right to left it mostly stays default, if I go left to right I get Ariel
I have fixed by using styles or highlighting correctly (long as I don't go past last character it works) Style began to crash on me so I stopped that for now, I also found highlighting and starting ti type in desired font name make fixing easy
« Last post by GarryP on January 18, 2018, 04:14:58 pm »
I had a look for this sort of thing the last time this kind of question came up and didn't find anything.

Since it's come up again I thought I'd mention it. (I've just done another quick search and couldn't find anything obvious.)

I don't have a problem with people asking the same question - whether they've looked for the answer or not - I just thought it might be useful to have somewhere to point people towards instead of various people having to remember bits of what works and what doesn't and having to keep giving the same types of answer.

Just thought it might be helpful is all. Maybe it isn't.
« Last post by a.l.e on January 18, 2018, 03:33:01 pm »
afaik the wiki has a list with details on language support...

but, as you see, you don't know it exists, i did not think about having a look in it, and mondaini could not bother looking for it... (or could not find it)

probably, it's more useful if people try it out and ask questions...
and, possibly, write a report about their experience : - )

since we have this topic open, i would be interested to know how good is the support for chinese and japanese in 1.5.x ... is there anybody in here who knows about it?
(i've been reading for years about people trying to layout chinese and japanese text and i think that it basically works... at least if you write from left to right...)
Beginner Talk / Re: Automatic page numbering
« Last post by utnik on January 18, 2018, 01:21:03 pm »
hi pemburysinger

…If I want to keep the inside cover page unnumbered, and have the first right hand page as a contents page that has either a "page 1", or a roman numeral as its number, how would I go about adjusting the numbering to suit?

in 'file' → 'document setup' → 'sections' you can define different sections and for every section you can chose a numbering style and a starting point.

utnik
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10