Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Text and Typography / Re: Corrupted text causing #11 crashes
« Last post by remadepreacher on April 18, 2018, 11:56:43 pm »
My putting this thread here was merely my way of trying to correct a mistake — putting a different problem in with my trouble with getting text and typing in a text box.

Sorry, utnik you're right, I should have included the following replies:

"Hi remadepreacher

I just opened your file in scribus 1.5.3, inserted 'Trouble In Paradise' between the two paragraphs and changed the paragraph style to 'heading 3' – there is no crash on my system (high sierra – the same as you use…)

Either there's something wrong
* with your scribus installation → to check this you could close scribus, and remove the directory: /users/'your user name'/library/preferences/scribus from the library or rename it to 'scribus_old' and restart scribus.
* or with the os itself (unlikely but possible)
* or with one of the fonts you use  → check your fonts with 'fontbook.app'. ('hk serif' was replaced in my test, but it isn't in use in the test file…)
* or you do something strange…
as your file won't open in scribus 1.4.6 without conversion, I tested only with 1.5.3.”

utnik

April 15, 2018
“As i wrote in the bug tracker, you should try to isolate the problem by testing parts of your complex workflow separately, instead of changing everything (new operating system, new font files…) at the same time.
if a car wouldn't run, your solution could be to change the battery, the injector pump and all the ignition plugs before a real 'bug hunting attempt' would lead to an empty fuel tank…”

utnik

I do appreciate your test and the suggestion of isolating the problem with the text before changing everything.
This led me to switch out Georgia in the document and see it's relation to the crashes. This led me to remove Georgia from my Font Book (I'll download it again when I decide if it worth paying for its use in the book).
Beginner Talk / Re: Trouble with "Get Text"
« Last post by remadepreacher on April 18, 2018, 11:06:29 pm »
Thanks, utnik, I removed Scribus preferences from two places but could not find a Scribus properties file on the mac. Do I need to look somewhere I haven't thought of or are you meaning to remove a properties file direct from the Scribus program?
After removing preferences I was able to double click on the text box one time. After that it was back to the non-working behavior.
les hint can work but does not have to.

the only secure way for moving around a scribus project is by using the "file > collect for output" tool.

... say a guy who just got a booklet back from the print shop where all images are missing...
works with Fills, Create object/Shape, fill the apply Transparency or gradient
Beginner Talk / Re: Easy way to centralize image/text/vector file boxes?
« Last post by GarryP on April 18, 2018, 02:28:47 pm »
(Ah, utnik just got in there ahead of me.)

A more formalised way of describing it would be :
* choose menu "Windows -> Align & Distribute";
* select the "Align" tab;
* then change "Relative To" to "Page";
* select your object(s);
* press the appropriate icon in the same "Align & Distribute" dialog.

Does that do what you need or do you need something different?
Beginner Talk / Re: Easy way to centralize image/text/vector file boxes?
« Last post by utnik on April 18, 2018, 02:23:17 pm »
hi les
…Be nice if there was a page centralization tool for image & vector file frames.

try 'windows' → 'align and distribute' with 'page' as the reference.

utnik
Beginner Talk / Easy way to centralize image/text/vector file boxes?
« Last post by LesCM19 on April 18, 2018, 01:06:18 pm »
At the moment, I am using the measuring tool which is manual and seems really...daft to me but more or less works.
Be nice if there was a page centralization tool for image & vector file frames.
if you have a root folder you are saving sla files to and storing images, the whole lot can be moved without losing the path to the images.
« Last post by a.l.e on April 18, 2018, 10:44:58 am »
hi remadepreacher

i think that you should look for local (in real life) computer support and get them to help you.
probably, your organisation has somebody who is in charge of the computer infrastructure.

your latest posts make little sense to me, and somebody who sees your computer and what actions you're performing will probably better be able to help you.

and as utnik said, stick to one single thread for the same question. if an administrator thinks there is a need for a split, a merge or a move she will do it.
(but if you  have new questions, please open a new thread, don't keep on asking further questions in the same topic. thanks!)
« Last post by utnik on April 18, 2018, 07:00:34 am »
hi remadepreacher

i try to help people with their scribus problems – but what you do here (yust recollecting your posts and 'ceaning' them from the recommended solutions) instead of trying some of the recommended ways to get rid of your problems, could lead me to ignore your future posts…

utnik
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10