Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Text and Typography / Re: What languages work as of today (2018)?
« Last post by GarryP on January 21, 2018, 11:22:54 am »
Sounds like there could be an opportunity to add a new forum in the "Scribus" section called something like "Language Support".
The regular visitors could start some threads called "English", "French", "German" etc. to give people an idea of what the forum is about and then anyone can add new languages as they come up. (A few instructions pinned to the top wouldn't hurt.)
It might get a bit messy without regular moderation but it might be useful. Better than stuff being all over the place at least.
General Discussion / Re: Search function in pdf files
« Last post by GarryP on January 21, 2018, 10:27:36 am »
You're very welcome. I'm glad to be of assistance.
« Last post by Friend on January 20, 2018, 07:22:46 pm »
THANK YOU SO MUCH, Garry.
You have absolutely made my day!

My font was Palatino which Scribus wouldn't embed but then I changed it to Garamond which it would embed and now I can search and find words in the pdf-file. :)

Again - THANK YOU SO MUCH.
It warms my heart that people like you exist. :)

Regards
Birgitte
« Last post by Nermander on January 20, 2018, 05:54:03 pm »
Isn't that figure from the framework Scribus uses for text handling? I can't remember the name of it right now.
« Last post by a.l.e on January 20, 2018, 03:36:36 pm »
the information you mention from the release notes is exactly what i would expect to find in a scribus wiki page.

sadly, before 1.5.3 not even "latin" languages are well supported from a typographic point of view... and such over enthusiastic messages are imo rather harmful for scribus.

concerning the language support, the best i can think about is a forum thread where skilled person post snippets and thoughts about their language support in a specific language (and with specific (free) fonts) and somebody then tries to summarize the information in a document.
Text and Typography / Re: another Interesting Issue
« Last post by RodneyLee on January 20, 2018, 02:13:19 pm »
I tried styles, kept crashing while editing text, I am using mint 18.3 and the Scribus Appimage 1.5.3, I have 1.5.4 installed to play with, an earlier post I was having trouble with styles crash #11, removed styles helped, then got more crashes til 44 page booklet wouldn't open anymore, eventually I opened in 1.5.4 and it worked and somehow recovered, back to 1.5.3 with everything mostly working...
« Last post by GarryP on January 20, 2018, 10:58:13 am »
While looking for something to do with another post I came across some text that didn't mean anything at the time but I later thought was interesting.

In the 1.5.3 release notes - https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/1.5.3_Release - it says "Altogether, about 500 languages and/or scripts are supported."

Where did this '500' figure come from? Does someone have a list? Either it's a complete guess or someone knows information that would be useful to a wider audience. Maybe they can publish a list.
« Last post by GarryP on January 20, 2018, 10:27:45 am »
It looks like you have outlined the font rather than embedding it.

When a font is outlined, the glyphs are converted to curves - like vector art - and cannot be searched as they are no longer text, they just look like text.

Have a look in the "Fonts" tab of the "Export to PDF" dialog under "Fonts to Outline". Select the font and press the "Up" arrow to move the font to the "Fonts to Embed" list. If Scribus won't let you move it then you either have to accept that you can't embed it or change to a font where you can.
Text and Typography / Re: another Interesting Issue
« Last post by utnik on January 20, 2018, 10:06:21 am »
I just tried it in styles manager, it crashes when ever I hit edit on defaults

i never had this crash – just tried it with your file and it worked well…

…there might be an issue with the default font defined for the text tool in the document settings. (as i almost always work with styles, i don't care much about this…)

utnik
General Discussion / Search function in pdf files
« Last post by Friend on January 19, 2018, 06:02:05 pm »
Hi

I have a problem with the pdf files that I generate from exporting my Scribus files.
I can't use the search function in the pdf file as when I enter a word that I know for certain is in the pdf file the result comes out as "no word was found".
Why is that? Can anyone help?
I have attached a pdf file.

Thanks in advance.
Birgitte
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10