Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
User Interface / Scaling group of shapes doesnt work?
« Last post by Gibbz on Today at 01:50:53 am »
I have an odd issue, im wondering if it is a bug.

If i import some text from a pdf, then group those objects. Then try to scale that group (holding ctrl to scale evenly). Then the shapes move, dissapear and dont scale...

Has anyone noticed this issue? Is there a fix for it?

General Discussion / Re: Windows 10 and link to forums
« Last post by LesCM19 on October 17, 2018, 11:38:46 pm »
Used Scribus 1.5.3 & 4 on a Windows 10 64 bit machine and seems to work OK.

As far as I can tell, the reasons I have trouble getting resultant pdfs past the Lightning Source quality control bods is either something I am doing wrong or because I've "still got something going on with either your program or machine, it's rare that they" -(the tech bods)- "have crashes like this so you might want to look into delete/reload your program or something" is what they told me.
Features / Re: Suggestion: a good start for footnotes Insert > Char > Footnote#
« Last post by dragonfly on October 17, 2018, 11:07:56 pm »
@jack_cat

It appears that you now have your act together. I understand your philosophy to stick with something that works. “a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”.

Regarding importing pdf objects into Scribus renderframes I am referring to advice I read in this Scribus forum.
But if you have high quality png objects then continue down that path.

Regarding Lily-compile, as I have written earlier, that is a simple wrapper using a single lilypond command.  If you require to change the command you have to go into Settings.

I have found in my experiments that installing the Atom package scripts offers more flexibility as you learn how to leverage lilypond commands.

Code: [Select]
apm install scripts
Basically you create a folder named (say) lilypond/commands and in there build a library of one liner bash scripts drawn from lilypond command line documents.

Here is a simple example of one bash script (Ubuntu notation):

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

filename="$HOME/Atom-repo/music-experiment/example.ly"
lilypond --png -dresolution=300 $filename

Then in atom you can navigate to that library, select and highlight a script in tree-view, select Packages > Script > Run Script.

This has the same effect as Lilypond > Compile.  The difference is that you can create a large library of lilypond (and lily-book) commands without the need to dive into Settings each time.

On the subject of svg you write ...

What _would_ be a reason for using .svg, is if there is some graphical result that I cannot figure out how to accomplish with Lilypond code, such that I would want to open the file in Inkscape and push the GROBs around or add some more elements.

In fact svg comes into its own if you wanted to animate or scale the musical notations much as I showed in earlier links to websites with continuous scrolling.

However you are today focussed on static printing and this advantage of using svg objects does not apply to your project of writing a book.

Finally on my task to create a pipeline from markdown to Scribus document model at least I do now see the way forward.  However I am juggling several tasks and I cannot set a fixed date to rely on. Not too far ahead I hope.
« Last post by jack_cat on October 17, 2018, 06:08:48 pm »
(a)
Quote from: dragonfly
: "Thus this explains why I can run error free (in Unix) but you cannot (in Windows).  Try dropping -danti-alias-factor entirely."

OK, I am glad to set that to rest. Not necessary to use anti-alias factor or mess with invoking pngtopnm on Windows. Another random-rat-maze learning experience: there is nothing down that hole.

(b)
: "And finally have you tried importing pdf into Scribus?"
DF quoting from someone on the Lilypond mailing list: 
Quote from: unknown
"Accepting that you will never get an image file as good looking as PDF, since PDF scales, then something like lilypond --png -dresolution=900 should give you a better image than you need."

No, I have not yet tried importing .pdf into Scribus.
I had naively assumed that .pdf was not intended for any use other than public document distribution, and I was completely unaware that "you will never get an image file as good looking as PDF" (since many of the pdf's I read are scans of fairly marginal quality and that is what I am used to) and so, I hadn't considered it.

I will re-evaluate this of course. But the only presenting reason for importing .pdf into Scribus, at the moment, is that .pdf might give better results with the export of Lilypond content than .png. The proof is a simple matter of exporting identical content from Lilypond in both formats and printing a page containing both; I'll get to it (ahh, it's inconvenient because I got fed up with the frequent planned obsolescence of consumer printers and ink cartridges, and don't keep one, so I have to go out.) But as the Lilypond list poster said, it should easily be possible to increase the .png resolution to the point where any difference is imperceptible. 300 dpi seems adequate, 600 dpi would be overkill ? and 900 more so.

By the way, I had an email exchange with the guy who wrote Lily-compile, who says that he had never intended for Lily-compile to do finished output (which he himself does from the command line) but that he intended it only for instant code checking from within Atom in the process of writing Lilypond code. However, given that Lily-compile can accept any command string that could be used on the command line, I don't see the benefit of this position, and I don't see any difference in the output.

(c)
: "Importing svg from LilyPond might give cleaner images than importing png"

I have had this in mind all along as a possibility and assumed it when I started in with Lilypond a month ago, but now having done a number of draft prints from my Scribus files, including one from my local pro printer who didn't complain about the image quality, I don't see that anything is lacking in the .png files that I have been using to date. (It could be that I don't know what the print standard really should be and that my printer was just humoring me. But the image quality has not been an issue with my draft prints. )

The "might give cleaner images" is not very compelling now that I have hi-res .png files available, particularly if I have to get into tweaking the .svg code for every file, adding an extra step. What _would_ be a reason for using .svg, is if there is some graphical result that I cannot figure out how to accomplish with Lilypond code, such that I would want to open the file in Inkscape and push the GROBs around or add some more elements. I can imagine this as a likely scenario, but the Lilypond docs assure me that Lilypond has every possible tweak built in, and so far I have found code snippets to do everything I have needed.

The bottom line for me is that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, so if I have something that works well enough, I am happy. If I determine that one thing works and another doesn't, I am inclined to go with what works now and not wrestle for too long with the problem of why the other thing doesn't work, because for me, such quests have so often ended in a morass because of my lack of technical knowledge. I do, however, very much appreciate the work of those who are capable and motivated to wrestle with those problems, because otherwise all of this open-source software would not exist. Thanks!

Dragonfly, when do you think that you may have a version of the Markdown-to-Scribus pipeline ready to test?
Text and Typography / Re: Text Printing Incorectly
« Last post by WHYz on October 17, 2018, 07:02:20 am »
Both of those shots are pdf's. I'm sorry that U have problems understanding me. But in any case, suddenly Scribus allowed me tostart  editing my work. That is why I forgot to come back to this site to discover if anyone knew why Scribus would seemingly lock up my text and image frames (when none of those frames were set as locked).

Thanks so much, though.
General Discussion / Re: Scribus and Printing?
« Last post by Nermander on October 16, 2018, 08:22:58 pm »
Not sure about the forums, but there is a page in the wiki.
https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Useful_Free_Resources
« Last post by dragonfly on October 16, 2018, 12:55:37 pm »
Some progress here on svg compatibility on the LilyPond side ...

https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/5429/

Importing svg from LilyPond might give cleaner images than importing png.
Certainly svg can be further edited/tweaked in Inkscape.

Beginner Talk / Re: Linking test frames
« Last post by patjk on October 16, 2018, 06:28:09 am »
Utnik ; I took your advice, and unlinking the text frames worked like a charm. Brilliant! Thank you so much.
General Discussion / Re: Scribus and Printing?
« Last post by mnawij on October 16, 2018, 01:16:04 am »
Hey jhamond987,

I would check out:  https://openclipart.org/  it has a good and growing selection of svg graphics.  There are a few more free websites for graphics, but I am not on my home computer with the saved bookmarks!  Maybe some other Scribus members here could recommend some, maybe they even have a dedicated post somewhere on this board.

Regards,

mnawij
Text and Typography / Re: Font is not black cmyk
« Last post by mnawij on October 16, 2018, 01:12:42 am »
Hi jedrzowski, I would like to see both files, but my best guess is that the K:100% is getting converted to a rich black either from color management, preference, or a pdf option.  At least that is where I would begin troubleshooting it.

Regards,

mnawij
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
palmate