Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Thanks people for the responses so far.

I think my biggest thought is: This software seems great, and is worthy competition for the big page layout programs. I'm surprised that there isn't more BUZZ about it. I would think that with a little more work, it could make a real run for the segment.

I'd like to see that.

Large companies can afford to pay Adobe absurd amounts for software that gets dumb cosmetic tweaks from time to time just intended to slow down older CPUs, but small designers are always strapped for cash.

I'd think that by now, Scribus would be more of a "player".

Maybe the 1.6 will take it over the top.

I'm digging in and hoping for the best.

Wish me luck!

And thanks again..
Welcome to the forum Amy.

It might be too late but I would recommend only using the stable version of Scribus - 1.4.6 - until you are comfortable with how it works before trying the developmental versions - 1.5.x. As you can see in utnik's answer above, the 1.5.x versions do things differently and a lot of the workflows and advice on forums and in articles may not work the same way.

As for your original problem, I'm curious as to what you mean by "could not embed images". Could you give a more information about what the problem actually was please? Placing images in image frames is usually pretty solid in Scribus but Scribus doesn't "embed" images as you might expect. This area gets a bit technical and there are certain exceptions so it's better if you can say exactly what you were trying to do and what you expected. That way we can probably help more.

Basically, if - as you say - you're not a techie, you're probably not trying to do anything complicated and as such the solution is probably just to learn how Scribus works. You can probably do what you want quite easily but it's simply a matter of knowing how to do it "the Scribus way".
Layout Issues / Re: Windows/Layout
« Last post by GarryP on December 13, 2017, 11:22:31 am »
WHYz, it sounds like you've accidentally moved the "Layers" dialog/palette off your screen.

If you're using the Windows OS you can try this:
* Select menu "Windows -> Layers" until "Layers" is not checked/ticked in the menu;
* Select menu "Windows -> Layers" again so that it is the last dialog that has been opened;
* Press Alt+Space together;
* Press the M key;
* Press any arrow key;
* Then you should be able to drag the dialog with the mouse but don't click a mouse button while you do it until it's back on the screen.

This works with any window or dialog box that has been accidentally moved off-screen.
hi amy

in scribus 1.5.x the text properties are in a separate palette. you'll find it under 'windows' → 'text properties' (f3).
…but independent of the scribus version, the better way to set the main text properties is usually to define text styles ('edit' → 'styles') – and apply them via 'text properties'…

utnik
Layout Issues / Re: Windows/Layout
« Last post by mnawij on December 13, 2017, 05:48:29 am »
Hello WHYz,

I did that before on my Mac though, I used the [cmd]+[-] to reduce screen size and then [cmd]+[a] to select all and then used the [up] arrow key probably 100 times until it went back onto my artboard area.  Maybe you could also increase the size of the scratch area (see attached) of the document to be able to see more document real estate, not sure, never changed that option with a file opened.

mnawij
Layout Issues / Windows/Layout
« Last post by WHYz on December 13, 2017, 01:50:43 am »
Hi, last week, when I was working on the bulletin, I was moving the Layout (under the Windows menu) on my laptop when I sneezed and accidentally moved it to below the bottom so that I can't reach it...or even see it. Is there a way I can bring it back? I am so far able to access layers I previously made, but I can't create any. I am really hoping someone out there in Scribus-land can help me solve this problem.
???
Text and Typography / Re: Disappearing Text/text boxes
« Last post by WHYz on December 13, 2017, 12:45:44 am »
No. I never even thought of that; I just did the preview (below "print"). I never even realized that it possibly WOULD show even though it looked like it. What program would I need to view it anyway? I'll check that out the next time the text disappears (which has happened a few times).
Text and Typography / No Text edit option in Properties Palette Scribus1.5.3 PLEASE HELP!
« Last post by Amy on December 12, 2017, 07:43:25 pm »
Please help - and note I am not a techie!

Put together book for lady I work in Scribus 1.4, very simple, just using text and image frames. But could not embed images. Downloaded 1.5.3. File corrupted on saving. Now re-doing from scratch (unpaid this time!).
BUT when I click on properties for a text frame there is no section within that for editing text. And I cannot edit in SE. I need to set the text size to specific pts and the line spacing to different specific pts.

Please advise - in very simple language - I'm a composer not a computer person!

Thank you, Amy
Installation and Setup / Re: Unable to open .pdf files, after installing Ghostscript
« Last post by GarryP on December 12, 2017, 04:59:15 pm »
Just to quickly add to what mnawij said, if you install Ghostscript after Scribus you might need to manually tell Scribus where GS is. (I think this issue is fixed on 1.5.x.)
See here https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/OS_X_-_Installing_Scribus_on_your_Mac_the_easy_way#Installing_GhostScript_after_Scribus for instructions.
General Discussion / Re: What is the level of commitment of the developers?
« Last post by a.l.e on December 12, 2017, 01:40:05 pm »
hi aceadman

you got a couple of very good answers already.

one more thing: the pool of scribus developers is currently a bit small, but some of them are very dedicated.

in the team there are at least two programmers who (for parts of the year) are often pushing one commit a day.
and this commitment has been there for many years now.

scribus could for sure need more active developers, but the ones who are around are very committed!

ciao
a.l.e
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10