Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10
Vector graphics and postscript / Re: scribus vs inkscape
« Last post by tosca on February 14, 2018, 01:18:41 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by 'identical'. Those are two different programs, with different purposes, and not at all similar interfaces.
Vector graphics and postscript / scribus vs inkscape
« Last post by Guillaume on February 13, 2018, 10:40:26 pm »
Before I download Inkscape, can someone who has both Scribus and Inkscape on his computer say if the commands, controls, moves, functions are identical on both?
Text and Typography / Re: Formatting of one article changes another one
« Last post by GarryP on February 13, 2018, 11:25:45 am »
You're welcome.

Text import is a powerful function but it takes time to get used to how it works. As utnik said above, you need to know what you're doing to use it properly and that, as with most non-trivial things, takes practice.

Personally I only ever import plain text but my situation allows for that, it's not the best solution for everyone.
« Last post by kbenzar on February 12, 2018, 06:07:24 pm »
Thank you, hero members! That got it!
« Last post by GarryP on February 12, 2018, 02:29:02 pm »
Indeed, and that's why I said usually.
Once a user gets used to importing plain text they can go on to learning more complex things.
« Last post by utnik on February 12, 2018, 11:19:13 am »
hi garry

I would usually recommend importing text as plain text and applying the formatting manually in Scribus as required. This gives you full control over how the text is formatted.

thats one good way, but not the only one.
the workflow with an import of preformatted text from an .odt file is not a bad one, but you need to know exactly what you're doing…

utnik
MacOS / Re: Pages Invisible
« Last post by utnik on February 12, 2018, 11:12:22 am »
hi jujuraxy

in scribus it's a toolbar (not a box like in the adobe programs).
by default the different toolbars are on the upper edge of the main window. but you can just grab and pull them to a better place (or close some of them in the 'windows' menu)…

utnik
« Last post by GarryP on February 12, 2018, 10:45:46 am »
Welcome to the forum kbenzar.

Without access to the original ODT documents - and knowing exactly how you're importing your text (which importer, settings, etc.) - it's difficult to know exactly what's going on but I would guess that the situation you're getting is a consequence of the import function sharing styles between the text frames.

Depending on how you import your text, Scribus could be adding styles to automatically format the first text frame from the imported text, and then modifying the styles when the text is imported into the second text frame. Every subsequent import would modify the existing styles and therefore change the document formatting.

For example, if you import the first document which has a style "Heading" formatted to Arial 22pt and then import another document which has a style "Heading" formatted to Times 24pt, Scribus may - depending on how you import - just re-use the existing "Heading" style and change the formatting accordingly. This would mean that existing text formatted with that style would also change.

I would usually recommend importing text as plain text and applying the formatting manually in Scribus as required. This gives you full control over how the text is formatted.
Features / Re: Standard paper sizes
« Last post by GarryP on February 12, 2018, 10:26:19 am »
If this is the direction that Scribus will be taking in the future, I would like to suggest that a "More..." option is added to the end of the truncated drop-down list to allow the user to temporarily expand the list to show all of the available choices.

This would help to prevent users from thinking that the only possible choices were those that are in the truncated list without having to - somehow - guess that they needed to go into Preferences. Otherwise, new users - or users that don't regularly rummage around in the application preferences - might think that the truncated list was all that was available. The fact that the OP has asked the question shows this has been the case in at least one instance.

If this, or something like it, is not done, Scribus will look less capable to a casual user or reviewer than it actually is.
MacOS / Re: Pages Invisible
« Last post by JuJuRaxy on February 12, 2018, 06:56:34 am »
And what I presume to be another similar issue, I cannot seem to see the tool palette/window when it is turned on.
I haven't used Scribus before, I am a long time InDesign user, so perhaps it doesn't have an equivalent for the InDesign tool palette?
Thanks again
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10