Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Hello all!
I'm making an illustrated Shakespearean encyclopedia with over 400 entries. Each image (which I am drawing) has a gloss (text) to go with it. The text will be on the left hand side and the accompanying image will be on the right.

The entries will be objects, plants, animals, personalities, and places that are mentioned in Midsummer Night's Dream.

I am trying to figure out if I should make one big text block and then add the images in after or make an individual text box for each gloss that is connected to its image box.

I am new to Scribus but have used MS publisher and In Design.

Thank you!  :)
Update.

I started this thread because I found it inconvenient to reconfigure the Scribus document as the document expands to an undefined number of pages.

My initial thought was to create a storyboard which would show a timeline of the text and image flow and allowing frames in the text flow to be edited.

Then I realised that one place to control the document flow as pages roll out would be  in the source document(s) piped to Scribus.

I will write up my workflow in later weeks, probably now into Tips subforum.

For now I am using Atom Editor with plugins to generate HTML5 content which emulates the view I expect to see in Scribus. Then I will parse HTML5 into *.sla format for printing.

This work flow will allow me to expand *.sla as the page content grows and I should in theory have no need to tweak textframe overflows or indeed redefine frame sizes.  Layout will derive from HTML5.

Also I will be able to sync web content with printed content.

The common source will be markdown.

I will not add to this thread since the approach I have settled on differs from the initial subject.

Text and Typography / Re: Spellcheck
« Last post by Nermander on August 02, 2018, 05:26:48 pm »
If I recall correct the language is a property of the pargraph style (you can mix different languages in the same document).

But I also think there was an identified bug when it comes to default language...
Text and Typography / Spellcheck
« Last post by tedmast on August 02, 2018, 03:56:08 pm »
Using Scribus 1,5.4 on Win 7. Have spent a lot of time trying to find where and how to get spellcheck for Danish. Finally found that in this version Windows menu/Resources/Spelling Dictionaries -  I could not see Danish in the list, but by using the 'update available list' button, I got a whole bunch of other dictionaries, including the Danish one. Danish now appears in the list when I open spellcheck, but if in the Preferences the language is set to English, the Danish spellcheck doesn't work - only English. I changed the language preference to Danish, but still the only choice I get in the spellcheck is English.
Anyone have an idea how I get the spellcheck to work in the language chosen?
Have used Scribus since 1.4.3 and have made a bunch of pages for exhibits (stamps), and have upgraded
several times - great program and thanks to all those who have made it possible.
Features / Re: Moving a document
« Last post by dragonfly on August 02, 2018, 02:34:29 pm »
If I had to redo all the pathes every time I move a folder (hundreds of folders for flyers I have to design and send to other collegues)... no way...

Sorry, I did not understand your workflow. I thought that this was a move to say another folder or drive.

But are you sending *.sla documents (plus images) to many other colleagues who also use Scribus?

This is a case for a preview feature (export Scribus document to web and post the url's to the flyers?).
Also perhaps a case for a collaboration feature.
« Last post by valerie on August 02, 2018, 01:34:00 pm »
Thanks.

Dragonfly: If I had to redo all the pathes every time I move a folder (hundreds of folders for flyers I have to design and send to other collegues)... no way...

a.l.e: yes, I collect. But anyway: moving the folder to another place, all the links disapear. I could not find any commando like in indesign which would allow me to re-link all pictures of a document at once. I have to search one by one and this costs me half of my working time. The only vantage of this system is, that at least the size and placement of the pictures keep the same. But I have to do one by one.

Is there any possibility to ask for improvement to the people who program this? I can not understand, why there is no funktion like this!

best
Valerie
Thanks! Your tips are highly appreciated!
« Last post by a.l.e on August 02, 2018, 11:31:52 am »
you have to use the collect for output function, if you want to move a document with its images.

ciao
a.l.e
« Last post by dragonfly on August 01, 2018, 05:14:05 pm »
I have a thought that as a work around  image paths might be set as variables .. %VAR_image01path% .. and then ScribusGenerator.py script used to generate new object paths?
« Last post by valerie on August 01, 2018, 03:16:09 pm »
Years are passing and I still have the same problem.
Any solutions?
Not only the links do the pictures are lost every time I move the folder, but also all the information about size, position ect.
Any new features in scribus?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10