Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
Beginner Talk / Re: Space above in Paragraph Style doesn't work for first line
« Last post by harryllama on February 19, 2018, 06:38:14 pm »
Thanks, those are good ideas! Right now I'm simplay adding a blank default paragraph, and that seems to do the trick as well. Just wanted to confirm that this was normal behavior!
PDF Generation / Over Ink Coverage Issue [SOLVED]
« Last post by Farland on February 19, 2018, 06:32:56 pm »
I'm trying to prepare an RPG book for print using Scribus.  It will be printed via lightningsource publishing.  Their recommendations are to use US Webcoated SWAP 2 as the color profile, but to manage image color in photoshop.  They recommend creating a custom color profile and setting the max ink to 235.  I did that for every image in my text.  Then I exported to a PDF, set Scribus to use US Webcoated SWAP 2 as the intended color profile. When I open the PDf in acrobat and look at it in preflight color management, it shows all of the images as over 240 in ink coverage.  Any idea what I am doing wrong?
Beginner Talk / Re: Space above in Paragraph Style doesn't work for first line
« Last post by GarryP on February 19, 2018, 02:47:21 pm »
The "Space Above" setting should be read as "Space between this paragraph and the previous one, if any" and if there's no previous paragraph then - as you have seen - Scribus ignores this. As far as I know it's just how Scribus works (I don't think the user has a way of changing this or, at least, I've not seen one).

There are probably many different ways of doing what you want but they would depend on the specific circumstances.

If you have your text split by chapters - with a new text frame chain for each chapter, which is usual - then a quick way to introduce a gap before the chapter heading would be to have the Y position of the first text frame at the required position down the page.

Another quick and dirty way would be to add a rectangle - with no fill or line colour - where the gap should be and use the text flow options to make the text flow around the rectangle.

Neither of these are particularly sophisticated techniques but they will work for most situations.
General Discussion / Re: Selecting the right page for comic book publishing
« Last post by tosca on February 19, 2018, 11:37:31 am »
You can define your own dimensions, based on whatever existing publications you know or want to create.
But have you talked with your printer first? He might have opinions and/or constraints on the matter.
Text and Typography / Re: problems with mastro
« Last post by a.l.e on February 19, 2018, 10:44:57 am »
hi moresun

have you deleted a single page?
if so, if's not a good idea to do so, when you have facing pages. (always delete pairs of pages...)

in "page > apply master page" you can re-apply the master pages to multiple pages at once...
General Discussion / Selecting the right page for comic book publishing
« Last post by DojoKunComics on February 19, 2018, 04:27:26 am »
Can any of my fellow Scribes tell me what page size to select to get as close as possible to a standard comic book size?  The pages listed are all in codes like A4, B2 etc. I apologize, but the only one I am familiar with is A4 and that's far too large.

Thank you for any information you can share.

Brian
Text and Typography / problems with mastro
« Last post by moresun on February 18, 2018, 11:03:03 pm »
Hello everybody...
I was working on a layout for a book.
At a certain point,don't know how it happened, my left pages appeared to have the layout of the right ones...
I checked the page mastro and some how the left page mastro was applied tho the right one and viceversa.
the problem is that when I tried to apply the right page mastro, the text frames were not in the right place...
Is there a function to hook the automatic text frame to the margin I've set in the document settings?
Text and Typography / Re: New chapter in a new right page
« Last post by moresun on February 18, 2018, 10:54:08 pm »
Yes! obviously!! thanks a lot for your reply!
Beginner Talk / Re: Automatic page numbering
« Last post by tosca on February 18, 2018, 09:49:41 pm »

Also, is there some way to suppress the page number on the first page of each novella, and on each new chapter page?

Harry

Sorry I didn't see this question earlier. But the answer is the same: put the page number on the "master page" that you apply - or not - to your actual pages.
In almost all my photos books, I use a "head of chapter" master page that is different from the regular ones.
Beginner Talk / Re: Automatic page numbering
« Last post by tosca on February 18, 2018, 09:38:42 pm »
Using Chrome, the "preview" of your book does not display headers; only the images are displayed on the pages.
It might be because the characters are not dark enough (I used some grey).
They are darker in this other book, look in the left/right margins, the chapter titles and the icons associated are just over the page number.
And in this one, you'll find a more classical layout, in the up margin.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10
palmate