Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
PDF Generation / Re: Colors are different when exporting to CMYK PDF (to Printer)
« Last post by mnawij on February 15, 2019, 05:20:47 am »
Hi bcnx,

I have attached a color gamut range diagram that shows the various ranges of colors.  Google CMYK vs RGB gamut for better explanations.  Those are just two gamuts, there are 3+ different RGB that I know of and usually the gamut range changes with each print driver when you print digital...  Notice that CMYK is a much smaller range, so when it gets converted from RGB there are much less colors to choose from and it automatically adjusts to the closest color possible.  You are on the right track in choosing ICC profile that comes closest to what you want but when going to CMYK always get a proof printed from a color calibrated press.  Notice though that when choosing ICC profiles, going from RGB to RGB will not accurately demonstrate what CMYK will convert to.  Hope this helps.

Cheers!
mnawij
Text and Typography / Scribus not recognizing newly installed fonts
« Last post by rowlandr on February 14, 2019, 11:15:37 pm »
For a new project I downloaded and successfully installed new True Type fonts into the Windows 10 Windows/Fonts directory. Now I have a Scribus problem I didn't have before with the fonts installed prior to installing Scribus and working on previous projects.  Scribus doesn't recognize the newly installed fonts.
These fonts are Scribus compatible--recommended on another site for a book project I am now working on.
I have verified that the fonts are properly installed in the /Fonts directory.   Closing Scribus and reopening doesn't help. The Scribus Font list under preferences doesn't list the new fonts.  Shutting down the computer and restarting yields the same results.
Solutions please.

thanks

RR
Text and Typography / Re: missing glyphs
« Last post by a.l.e on February 14, 2019, 05:40:12 pm »
you're right scribus 1.4 is displaying black squares and does not insert the glyphs in the text.

no idea why it does so. you can open a ticket in https://bugs.scribus.net but it will take some time until you'll get the new version packaged for debian.
i'm not sure either if the issue can be fixed in 1.4... you might want to try and see what jean replies...

i have been using the development version of scribus, and there i get the glyph to show correctly.

it's up to you, to decide if you want to give the development version of scribus a try...
Raster and Vector Graphics / Unable to inport PDF into image frame
« Last post by Little_Evenstar on February 14, 2019, 01:32:47 pm »

Hello,

I'm unable to import PDF files into an Image Frame. I'm using Scribus 1.4.7 on a Windows 8.1 PC. Although the PDF is selected (and a preview shown) it isn't visible in the image frame. Other formats (PNGs / JPGs) work fine.

I have the latest version of Ghostscript installed (as of today 14 Feb 19) and specified in Preferences External tools (gswin64c).

I see other people have experienced this problem a few years ago, so wondering if there are any updated fixes / advice.

Many thanks.
« Last post by dztypesetter on February 14, 2019, 02:20:28 am »
When I select the Noto Music Regular font from the menu in the glyph browser (assuming I'm looking at the right window), I see a few music-related glyphs in the first row (though not the one I need), followed by a couple of pages of solid black squares. When I point at these squares, the tool tip shows me a unicode value, but the largest one is something like D245.  So, only 4 hex digits.  The one I'm looking for is 1D1AA, which does not appear in that list (either visually, or by unicode value).  When I try to type 1D1AA in the "Insert Code" box, it truncates after 4 digits.

I am rather mystified, since clearly you've been able to access the glyph I need, but I cannot!  Could it be a difference in Scribus version?  I'm using the version currently in Debian Testing, which is 1.4.7.  Or maybe it's a difference in version of the font--which would make it not a Scribus issue.  I'm also using the version of Noto fonts that are packaged in Debian Testing.  So if there's nothing that I'm clearly doing wrong in Scribus, I'll have to try downloading the fonts from the source and see what happens.
PDF Generation / Re: Colors are different when exporting to CMYK PDF (to Printer)
« Last post by bcnx on February 14, 2019, 02:02:11 am »
Update: I enabled color management in the Document Setup. This turned my design immediately very dark, but when choosing certain ICC profiles in the PDF export window, I came very close to the correct color (Kcolorchooser showd RGB 84/84/84, while it is 85/85/85).
Will experiment some more with other profiles.
Does anyone know why my design turned so dark all of a sudden?

cheers,

BC
PDF Generation / Colors are different when exporting to CMYK PDF (to Printer)
« Last post by bcnx on February 14, 2019, 12:42:57 am »
Hi all,

I'm designing the artwork for a CD I'm about to release in Scribus. I love open source, so I prefer it to Adobe products. The printing house requires PDFs in CMYK, so that is what I export to. However, when I open the PDF, the one grey color I use is lighter than the original (I check with Kcolorchooser). When I export for Screen/Web, the PDF has the correct color. Things I did:
- did some research in this forum
- enabled Color Management
- replace the RGB color with its equivalent CMYK value
- trying different PDF versions (1.3 to 1.5)
Will the PDFs I exported have the correct color, even though my screen tells otherwise? Or should I intervene somewhere so the situation for CMYK produces the same results as for RGB?
I'm on Linux Mint 18.2 with Scribus 1.4.6.

Cheers!

BC
« Last post by a.l.e on February 13, 2019, 10:40:34 am »
you don't need to enter any code.

just visually browse the available glyphs and double click on the one you want to insert.
a tooltip did tell me which character has the unicode you were looking for. but you will not need it, since you recognize it visually.

you can drag and drop glyphs to the main "insert glyph" window to have a faster access to specific ones.
« Last post by utnik on February 13, 2019, 07:55:06 am »
hi dztypesetter

…as I said, it only allows entering a 4-hex-digit unicode.  But the one I'm after is 5 hex digits.

i've just checked it here – and you're right, in scribus1.4.7 there's no way to insert more than four digits. but with scribus 1.5.4 it works.

So for a glyph that has no keyboard character, as the one I'm talking about, there seems to be no way to do it, without going through the Story Editor.  Am I missing something??

you have the same 'insert' menu while editing directly in the text frame…

utnik
« Last post by dztypesetter on February 13, 2019, 03:30:29 am »
> in the glyph window, just click on the first icon, left of the search one...

OK, that's what I did, as I described, unless I'm completely not understanding what the "glyph window" is.  But, as I said, it only allows entering a 4-hex-digit unicode.  But the one I'm after is 5 hex digits.

> and, please, get comfortable with the text frame edit  modus and the windows > properties palette...

I believe I am comfortable with this, but unless I'm completely missing something, there is no way to insert a glyph this way other than typing its keyboard character.  So for a glyph that has no keyboard character, as the one I'm talking about, there seems to be no way to do it, without going through the Story Editor.  Am I missing something??
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10