Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
General Discussion / Has anyone used Scribus with BookBaby for book printing?
« Last post by eikenberry on August 12, 2018, 08:58:33 pm »
Hello,

I'm currently working on a photography project book and have settled on Bookbaby to get the book printed. Their templates are a little odd, and they strongly recommend using Adobe InDesign to design the book pages, etc. My question is, would Scribus be a suitable alternative? I doubt I'll be designing books for a living after this, so spending 30+/month for InDesign seems silly.

Does anyone have any experience with this Scribus/Bookbaby combo?

Thanks!
Text and Typography / Re: How do I add text boxes to book chapters?
« Last post by Ritergal on August 12, 2018, 07:25:05 pm »
Aha! While waiting for replies, I kept digging and eventually pieced together enough information from here and there to solve this puzzle. When I finish my current project, perhaps I'll write a proper tutorial, but for now, here's a quick overview of what I did, for whatever help it may be to others. BTW, these steps may need to be streamlined along the way.

Key concepts:
1) Create a textbox the size you want in blank space, in your working document or a new one. Enter and format text as usual, using styles if you're doing several, or directly if it's just this one. Columns and Text Distances under the Text options are the place to add padding inside the box.

2) Add fill or whatever using Properties for the text box. I know there are several ways to control outer padding, but the one I'm using right now is a white line as a box border, the width of the desired padding.

3) Text boxes are shapes. Shapes can be converted to text containers. Okay! Text wrapping is controlled for text boxes as for all shapes, in the Shape section of Properties.

4) Move that box into final position within the text. Drag or cut and paste.

Not so difficult after all, and now the pieces of the puzzle are more or less assembled in one place.
I have found a way around this now, so I am ok now!
Layout Issues / Text frame won't let me edit it - keeps jumping to top of document
« Last post by undine on August 12, 2018, 03:51:23 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to edit text frames in this document. Every time I double click the text frame, and then start typing than I am jumped back to the top of the document and the text appears in the first text frame (page 2).

The issue is the same in scribus 1.4.7 and 1.5.4
I am using lubuntu.

The .sla file is attached

Any help is greatly appricated.

(and thank you to everyone who is solving issues in these forums and working on scribus!)
I originally got this scribus template file from here : http://www.drivethrurpg.com/shared_images/templates_scribus-pc.zip
Text and Typography / How do I add text boxes to book chapters? SOLVED
« Last post by Ritergal on August 11, 2018, 10:33:42 pm »
I need to add text boxes to my book document. I want a light gray background with no border and an inside margin of .2". I've searched dozens of pages and not found instructions for doing this.

So far I have defined paragraph styles for the title and contents of the box and added a gray rectangle behind it. The problem with this approach is precise placement.

Does anyone know a better way, the equivalent of creating a text box in Word that has a specific size and wrap margins to set it apart from surrounding text? In this case I only want top and bottom wrap, not an insert. But how would I add a narrow text box with text flowing around it?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Text and Typography / Last line in paragraph spread out - SOLVED
« Last post by Ritergal on August 11, 2018, 04:38:04 pm »
I'm still learning Scribus to replace Word, specifically because I want the baseline capabilities and better tracking. On my first try at editing the default paragraph style, I set the text to full justify. This caused last lines to spread all over the place. Since I could not find any answers about that, here it is:

I finally noticed two options for full justify. Since the icons are quite small and my eyes not so young, I had not noticed that the last line on the next-to-right icon is shorter. Selecting that icon did the trick. All is well and I'm loving Scribus. I took a look several years ago and went screaming into the woods. Now it seems manageable.
Vector graphics and postscript / Re: Importing pdfs as vector graphics
« Last post by dragonfly on August 11, 2018, 02:00:18 pm »
Just an idea.
Could you export your “big tables” as markdown table format files?
Then convert markdown table to svg which preserves text?

Search in google ..  export Excel table as markdown

http://thisdavej.com/copy-table-in-excel-and-paste-as-a-markdown-table/

then try these approaches ..

https://tink.uk/accessible-svg-tables/

https://codepen.io/netsi1964/pen/wkdez    uses Raphael js.

A great editor for markdown is Atom.
Install added package markdown-preview-enhanced.
You can then preview your markdown tables and convert to different file types.
I use the pandoc option.  Pandoc arguments are placed in the yaml header at top of markdown file.
Vector graphics and postscript / Re: Importing pdfs as vector graphics
« Last post by LesCM19 on August 11, 2018, 12:10:53 pm »
Maybe the size of the exported pdf was way too big for the printers to handle after all. 400M and they shrunk it someway or other to 40M with a bit of loss of definition in the images. I can almost put up with it as they are for the most part eye-candy thumbnails, shame to have lost so much sharpness though.
Scripts and Plugins / Re: In Scribus version 1.4.6 barcode creation does not work.
« Last post by mnawij on August 09, 2018, 06:08:15 pm »
https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=15098

According to this it looks like it is a known issue and the problem is with ghostscript 9.22.  Please see if you can install a previous version or a beta version of ghostscript to see if that helps.

mnawij
Scripts and Plugins / Re: In Scribus version 1.4.6 barcode creation does not work.
« Last post by sinthia on August 09, 2018, 04:10:35 pm »
ghostscript is already installed v.9.22
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10