Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Welcome to the forum Deon.

You can't vertically align text to the centre of a text frame in 1.4.6. It's been asked for before https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=321 and has been added to the developmental versions (1.5.x) but, as far as I've read, it's not working as well as some people think it should.

Have you tried to align the text manually, without taking the frame into account? I.e. Ignore the text frame - temporarily switch frames off if necessary - and put the text where it looks best to the eye. This works well enough in most simple cases and can even be better than using an automatic function, depending on the text. Put the text where it looks best rather than keeping to a rigid layout.
Text and Typography / Newbie: How to vertically align text in text box
« Last post by deonholt on Today at 12:40:48 pm »
Hi there.

I have downloaded Scribus yesterday and starting to learn it.

I need to vertically align text to center position of text box. I have watched tutorials on this but could only find how to align text boxes with one another.

Please point me to a tutorial on how to vertically align text to center in its own text box.

Deon
User Interface / Re: problem with applying master page
« Last post by GarryP on Today at 11:52:14 am »
I've just done a quick test of the "Apply Master Page" dialog and the only times when I can replicate the issue you report (as I interpret it) is when I specify - either by typing a value or by using the spinners - a "to" page that is given a lower value than the "from" page, or when a "from" page is given a higher value than the "to" page (which is essentially the same thing).

For example, setting "from" as "10" and "to" as "15" is fine. Then changing "to" to "6" makes the "from" value automatically change to "6". That's perfectly normal as the "to" value cannot be lower than the "from" value. In other words, "From 10 to 6" doesn't make sense.

Does this explain what is happening or are you seeing some other behaviour?
Beginner Talk / Re: Is there a way to move objects without snapping?
« Last post by GarryP on Today at 11:33:58 am »
When you drag things with the mouse, Scribus - and all other applications - has to try and convert that movement into the Unit Of Measure used by the application and that's where things get a bit complicated.

Dragging something with the mouse creates an event that tells the application that the mouse has been dragged. The application must then interrogate the mouse drag event to see if the drag amount was sufficient for the drag to be reflected by the UI. If that is so then the application needs to update the UI as appropriate.

Drag amounts in the event are measured in pixels but, since Scribus doesn't use pixels as a UOM, the amount of drag has to be converted to the document's UOM with regard to the current level of zoom. Because of this, there will naturally be some "granularity" of any drag where the document UOM doesn't accurately line up with the pixels of the screen.

After an application has converted the drag amount to the document's UOM it also has to convert the measurements back to a pixel value in order to know where to redraw the thing being moved. If that pixel value is not a whole pixel, the application has to make a guess at which pixel to use, e.g. the one to the left or the one to the right. Because of this, not every drag action will be smooth. This can be more pronounced when a document is zoomed out as more space in the document is "squashed" into the same pixel on the screen. It also depends on the accuracy of the measurements and conversions being used by the application. Some applications are more accurate than others.

With Scribus there's also the added complication that you can configure the display size - via Preferences/Display - and not everyone will have done this properly.

Normally this isn't a problem but it is sometimes. I've probably not explained this very well but hopefully it will make some sense.

All-in-all, as mentioned above, it's better to use guides, snapping and the "Align and Distribute" functions to arrange things rather than trying to line things up manually.
Installation and Setup / Re: How to enlarge toolbar icons?
« Last post by GarryP on Today at 10:53:59 am »
Welcome to the forum Backpacker84.

Strange. Are you saying that your icons have changed size recently? I've never heard of that happening.

P.S: It's been more than two years since the stable version of Scribus had any changes so I can't see this happening any time soon except for maybe in a developmental version and there is no published roadmap for when new versions are coming.
Beginner Talk / Re: Is there a way to move objects without snapping?
« Last post by AdmFubar on Today at 04:47:02 am »

8-1/2" x 11" sheet, landscape, with a .35" margin on all sides. I have boxes with borders and I need to line other elements up with the boxes' borders. I can get pretty close with the numeric field, but not perfect and its VERY tedious to use this method.

Thank you for any help!

Sounds more like you need to use the Align and Distribute options. Check in the windows menus in Scribus to make sure the Align and Distribute pallet is open.
You select objects on the page and arrange via several alignment properties.
Installation and Setup / Re: How to enlarge toolbar icons?
« Last post by Backpacker84 on Today at 12:05:21 am »
Anyone have an update on this?  Just came across the same problem.  Icons were fine for a while, but I just opened Scribus again today and they're all extremely tiny.  Disheartening to seen that it's been almost two years since this was last discussed...
Beginner Talk / Re: Adding Pages
« Last post by LesCM19 on February 20, 2018, 10:34:44 pm »
Thanks all.
I was hoping there was a way of getting Scribus to shuffle everything along by one page. Not to worry. If I end up with a blank page somewhere I'll stick some eye candy in.
Scribus forums / Re: Italian Scribus community?
« Last post by moresun on February 20, 2018, 08:36:28 pm »
Do you think you can open a general discussion this forum for italian speakers? It will be great for Italian to have a place where find official answers! Maybe we are not so few ;) The scribes Italian version is very well made and I think more and more Italians will use it as now adobe indesign is in suite...
User Interface / problem with applying master page
« Last post by moresun on February 20, 2018, 08:26:43 pm »
If this is no the right place to warn you and ask for fixing, sorry and please move to the right place in the forum.
When I was applying the master page to a certain number of pages, logically I wrote first "from" which page and then "to"...
when typing in the field "to", automatically the field "from" changes as the "to" one... so i had to come back to the "from" field and change anew the infos...

Can you fix this problem or there is a version that has still this bug fixed?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10