Scribusoid

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Hi,

OK, thanks. I'm all new to this, as is apparent.
So, while doing DTP work as a layman (with no spider and a simple laserprinter ), you are basically working blind until you see the printing test made by the printing service?

cheers,

BC
Text and Typography / Re: Scribus not recognizing newly installed fonts
« Last post by rowlandr on Today at 05:58:12 am »
I am using 1.4.7

RR
« Last post by mnawij on Today at 04:25:07 am »
I will have to remember that font location for Scribus for future problems.  I am not sure it is a bug since I was not able to reproduce the problem, maybe someone else can try.  You never mentioned which version of Scribus you are using as I did my testing in 1.5.4.  If you are using 1.4.7 I will have to run the testing over again to verify.

mnawij
« Last post by rowlandr on Today at 03:43:35 am »
I figured out a workaround.
You have to add the top Scribus/share/fonts folder in the add fonts
Then you copy the fonts you want from the  Windows/Fonts folder or if have downloaded them to a download folder then copy to the /share/fonts folder
All but one of the fonts I needed are now working in Scribus.

But it is clear to me that there is a bug since no new fonts are recognized  in the Windows/Folder

RR
« Last post by rowlandr on Today at 02:55:03 am »
Thanks for the suggestion. But that didn't work. I downloaded  the Google version  of  EB Garamond directly from the Google Fonts site, and Scribus still can't find it.  Unless you or someone else on the forum can find a solution, i may have to uninstall and reinstall Scribus to see if that works.  As I said originally, it appears that Scribus can  recognizes fonts that existed in the Windows Folder prior to the original installation, no matter where I downloaded them from but nothing new.  It may be a bug of some kind

RR
Raster and Vector Graphics / Re: Unable to inport PDF into image frame
« Last post by mnawij on Today at 02:27:58 am »
Little_Evenstar,

Have you tried LibreOffice Draw, Xara, sK1 or other free pdf tools such as FoxIt, SumatraPDF, Nitro Reader, PDF-XChange Lite to "resave" the pdf file? Sometimes pdf files carry hidden cruft that needs to be removed and using another pdf application to resave the file will remove this and allow the pdf file to be placed.  It might also be a 'newer' version of pdf which is 1.7 + Adobe extensions that Scribus cannot interpret. I have ran into this problem with pdf files created from the newer Adobe Creative Cloud applications.  The newest pdf files from Adobe will not work in or be placed into Adobe Creative Suite 6 and older version... could be the same thing here.  Try to get the pdf version back to pdf v1.5 for placement.  Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

mnawij
« Last post by mnawij on Today at 02:15:56 am »
rowlandr,

In a previous post here I shared an update that I found the fonts on Google Fonts site.  I installed them in Linux Mint DE, Mac OSX, and today I installed them on my Windows 10 box and had no problems using the fonts. Did you get them from Googles Font Site or other free font site?  I would recommend uninstalling the fonts and download them from a different location if possible and reinstall them.  Otherwise I am out of ideas...

cheers!

mnawij
PDF Generation / Re: Colors are different when exporting to CMYK PDF (to Printer)
« Last post by Nermander on February 15, 2019, 11:52:53 pm »
No, because for showing on screen the CMYK colors need to be converted "back" to RGB, because the screen cannot show CMYK colors.

That is the major problem that mnawij tried to explain.

A "color" in a digital file is just a number. What color that number represents depends on the defined colorspace. But no device can reproduce all possible colors. That means if the colospace has a larger gamut than the output device (printer or screen) you will get a conversion.

The only way to get colors to show in a decent way is to have correct profiles for your output devices. That is done by outputting "numbers" and then measure what color those numbers give. This is often incorrectly called "calibration", but the correct term is "profiling".

For a monitor you usually use a "spider" to measure the colors on screen, for a printer you can send prints to a company that can measure the colors and give you a profile back. There are "poor mans solutions" using a scanner, but the scanner must then have been profiled first (using what is called a "target").

Note though that for a printer the profile depends also on the paper used, so different papers will give different colors.

Unless you have profiled your devices properly I think it's best to work in RGB and then convert to CMYK using the printer's suggested profile.
PDF Generation / Re: Colors are different when exporting to CMYK PDF (to Printer)
« Last post by bcnx on February 15, 2019, 02:52:30 pm »
Hi,

thanks for your elaborate reply!
In the meantime I got news from the printer that they use the FROGRA 39, so I assume I need to use that one. This profile also warps the colors however when converting a color from RGB to CMYK. My solution was to experiment until the right color showed up on screen. I'm not sure this is a good thing to do?

Cheers,

BC
Raster and Vector Graphics / Re: Unable to inport PDF into image frame
« Last post by Little_Evenstar on February 15, 2019, 01:22:22 pm »

Hello mnawij,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried this option in both Inkscape and Gimp. Unfortunately the images become very large, making it unworkable.

I know that the problem is not related to the PDF, as I experience the same problem, irrespective of the PDF file.

I've just installed Scribus and Ghostscript on my Surface Pro netbook (running Windows 10) and it seems to work on that machine. This suggests that there is something wrong with the setup on my Windows 8.1 laptop, but I can't seem to find it for the life of me!

Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
palmate