PDF: 300 dpi wanted, only 72 dpi

Previous topic - Next topic

sebo

Hey,

I searched the forum and Google for my problem but couldn't find a solution yet.

I am exporting a document as PDF. When I did this before (same computer, same scribus version), I got PDFs with 300 dpi.
However, I can't manage to this time, it always turns out as "Resolution: 72 x 72 dpi" (as ImageMagick's identify says). All pictures in the document have dpis > 1000.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sebastian

GarryP

If the images in the PDF are at a resolution below that which you expected you can try checking the "Save as PDF..." Compression and Maximum Image Resolution settings.
You might have adjusted something by accident.

Boe

I have the same problem. I select File > Export > Save as PDF. All I have on the page is some text generated in Scribus and one jpg image which was 600 dpi when I got the image. When I go to export to PDF it creates a 72 dpi PDF. I want 300 dpi or more. I tried the suggested settings with compression such as 'None' ,  'Lossless - ZIP', etc. I also tried 'Embed as PDF & EPS files'. Every setting change I make still creates a 72 dpi PDF.

utnik

hi boe

what's the entry of the 'maximum image resolution' box in 'save as pdf'?
utnik

Boe

Hi utnik,

'Maximum image resolution' is set at 300 dpi. I've tried it both ticked and unticked. That was the first thing I checked when I realised the dpi was defaulting to 72.

utnik

could you upload a test file (.sla with image and .pdf) somewhere?

utnik

Boe

I have been uploading the files to a site where they have an image wizard that tells you how many dpi the image is (its a tshirt manufacturer, so they provide an image wizard to check your image is the right size on the tshirt). According to every upload I do on this site, every change I make has resulted in a 72 dpi image.

utnik

as long as you keep your files secret i'm not able to help!

a dummy file with an image would do, as long as it produces the same low resolution problem.

utnik

Boe

Sorry, you are talking with a complete beginner here, and I guess I did not take in the whole of what you said. I read "upload a test file" as yes, I have uploaded my files, and "somewhere" being, yes I have uploaded them to the tshirt manufacturer's site. I did not realise you wanted to scrutinize the files. What do you mean by "somewhere"?

BTW, I forgot to mention that when I export the files as images, whether as PNG or TIF, it creates the right resolution, i.e. I get a 300 dpi image. Does that help?

utnik

hi boe

Quote from: Boe on March 30, 2014, 12:29:50 PMWhat do you mean by "somewhere"?

if you have a dropbox account, it could be there – but almost every file hoster would do (like rapidShare, file-upload.net...)
if putting the link into this thread is too public for you, send a pm.

Quote...when I export the files as images ... it creates the right resolution ... Does that help?

at least it tells me that the image resolution is ok.

utnik

Boe

utnik

hi boe

i need the same image files you used.

your .sla file is searching for a fille called:

• 'birdy2 yellow beak.jpg'.
i found the files:

• hello.sla (the useful one)
  • hello-page001.png
  • hello.pdf
try the function: 'file' – 'collect for output'...
btw. it's not scribus, its the  definitions por portable network graphics (.png) which doesn't support cmyk...

utnik

edit: i have extracted the image of the bird from your .pdf file. it is a 300ppi image in rgb! – where is this resolution problem now?

Boe

Do you mean ppi or dpi? I need 300 dpi. If you upload the PDF to this page, what is the dpi?
https://printaura.com/image-wizard/

Nermander

Well, the DPI can never be lower than the PPI.

During printing, each Pixel (as in PPI) is made up of one or more ink Dots (as in DPI).

Boe

Nermander, so 300 ppi can be made from a file smaller than 300 dpi? eg, 300 ppi can be a 72 dpi file?