Grow text to fill frame in Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

goose

The title says it all really. My Scribus experience is almost zero but one of the first things I wanted to do is to click a button that would ensure that the text inside a frame becomes as large as possible (i.e. increasing the font size) such that it fills as much of the frame as possible.

That would seem to me to be a likely common requirement but so far my efforts to discover how to do this have come to nothing. Can you help?

GarryP

I've never seen a function for what you want in Scribus but if you start looking into the options you have for text formatting you'll probably see that a "one button does all" becomes fairly meaningless.

For instance you can increase the font size (like you said), or make the letters wider, or increase the line spacing, or make the gap between words bigger, and there are many many other options. So, if you had a button to fill the frame, which one would Scribus choose? How would it know what you wanted to do?

It's my opinion that each instance of where you might want to do this should be treated individually. Sometimes increasing the font size will look better, or making it bold might work, or slightly increasing the character width might be best; it depends on what looks right. What you choose should be dependant on the effect you're trying to achieve.

I know this probably isn't what you want to hear but if you have a play around with the text formatting options you'll find all kinds of goodies that can be used to good effect.

If you think about the effect you are trying to achieve, the size of the frame becomes fairly irrelevant as long as it can hold the text you want where you want it. Try concentrating more on the results rather than the frames themselves.

dave61430

My PagePlus has a function to shrink text to fit a frame, but I don't recall anything to go in the other direction. The shrinking I believe changes the font size. This would only be used for a very small adjustment like when you want to avoid a frame overflow to another page. A very small change in font size generally will go unnoticed.

Nermander

I'd use the properties palette and the mouse scroll wheel to adjust the settings to acheive what I want.

Scribus is designed to give you control, I really can't see one good reason you would want to fill a frame completely. A frame is used to hold the text, but the size of the text is a separate property of a design.

Since Scribus uses the font maximum size most people anyway get disappointed when Scribus does not manage to fill the frame as much as they would want. The solution is of course to have the text in an "invisible" frame and use a shape for the figure you want to have "text filled".

goose

Thanks folks. I guess I should just start using Scribus a bit more first before pulling back ;)