Has Scribus a maximum

Previous topic - Next topic

dvn

I'am making a photobook with a lot of pictures. I'am now on page 157 (around 400 pictures) and I'am losing previous pictures even though the link of the location is right. It looks like the programe has trouble loading the preview.

Do I have to split the book and combine it in pdf? Or is there a easier solution?

Nermander

How much RAM does your computer have? That's usually the critical point.

GarryP

dvn, along with the issue about RAM as mentioned above, you should also consider your "end user".

You don't mention how your end product will be used but if you are sending it to be professionally printed you should check that the print shop can handle documents of the size you'll be producing. This forum topic may be a useful read: http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,953.0.html

On the other hand, if you are expecting people to download your PDF from the internet you should keep in mind that a lot of people don't have high-speed "all you can eat" internet access.

For some people a 50MB (for example) download might only be a few seconds wait, but for others they could be looking at many minutes of waiting or worse.

If your end product has a very specific "market" where you can be pretty sure that the problems I've mentioned will not come up then that's fine. However, if you are wanting to distribute something by PDF download across wide geographical or technological spreads then you'll need to think about how your end users can access the material.

For instance, if you were making a book to give people information about how to recognise the dangerous/poisonous animals and plants of the world (something very useful to everyone), you could make it one big book but if it's too big for someone to download then they can't get the benefit of reading it. On the other hand, if you split the book into separate volumes, each for a different country (or whatever), then each document would be much smaller and easier to download - and thus more accessible and useful.

Also, if you are having memory problems when composing your document you should think about the computer resources available to the people who might want to read it. It's easy to forget that a lot of people only have access to very limited computers with minimal amounts of storage - both RAM and disk. (And what about people reading on tablets and smart phones? It's worth thinking about.)

None of the above may be issues you will personally encounter with your current project but I thought it was worth me saying something so that other forum readers are made aware of potential problems that could come up with their own work.

A good question to always keep in the back of your mind when you're creating anything is: "What's my target audience and how will they access my work?". If you keep asking yourself this question it will help to guide your progress in the right direction.

Anyway, that's enough waffle from me, for the moment anyway.

I hope you get your photo-book completed and it is well received.

dave61430

Along the same lines, Scribus pdf export creates very large files. You can get smaller files by printing to something like cutepdf or pdf24 etc. Theoretically, these should be of lower quality, but it's hard to see much difference in practice.
I ran into same problem with missing images using PagePlus. I'm switching to Scribus, which is fine for the source I used (54 pages with about 400 images). I haven't tried to print the complete final pdf, but printing a few random pages is fine on my laser. My understanding is as long as the printer can hold a complete page the number of pages shouldn't matter, there is nothing that should demand the printer load the complete document. I would like to know if this really is a problem.

Arran

Another aspect, based on Garry's comment:
If your work is uniquely presented on screen, please bear in mind, that only a handful of monitors worldwide can view pictures with a higher resolution than about 100 dpi; I believe more than three quarters are still on about 72 dpi or thereabout. Same for colour depths, resp. «quality». If you use a png-file as base, it is about 10 times larger than a jpg-file with about 67% quality, which is absolutely enough for 99% of all monitors.

Everything I wrote has, of course, no importance, if you want to print your book.
Have you first consulted the Manual? You can probably find the solution there.

Happy Greetings from Scotland's nicest Holiday Island

dvn

The computer has  a RAM of 16 GB and I want a good resolution. It is not for the digital network but for printing a photo book on Blurb. In Blurb I have made the same size booklet in the past with their software. Only the standard layouts of Blurb are not what I want that's why I use Scribus. And unless this problem I'am very satisfied with it.

utnik

hi dvn

try with 'low resolution preview' – if this isn't your present setting. ('file' → 'document setup' → 'tools' → 'image frame properties' → 'on screen preview')
if the problem persists or you need a better preview for your work, you should split the book in parts and recombine the .pdf files...

utnik