View Pages Side by Side ? [SOLVED]

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanQ

I'm using Scribus on Ubuntu 10.04 -- Scribus 1.3.3.14 and ScribusNG 1.4.0.rc3

When I create a 2 page double-sided document, it displays them diagonally -- above and to the side of each other.

How can I display them side-by-side?

I've attached a screen shot showing what I get.

Thanks in advance.
Alan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nermander

It depends on if you set the first page to be a right page or a left page.

If page 1 is a right page and and page 2 is a left page showing them side by side would give you

Page 2 | Page 1

Which I doubt is what you want.

Even MS Word does it the way Scribus does.

AlanQ

Dear Nermander

Thank you for your reply.

My problem is not the order, it is the positioning.
Frankly, I wouldn't mind if they were the wrong way round.
My problem is that they are not side-by-side.
I've attached a new image to show what I mean.

Cheers
Alan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Christen_Anderson

Quote from: AlanQ on May 13, 2011, 02:55:01 PM
My problem is not the order, it is the positioning.
Frankly, I wouldn't mind if they were the wrong way round.
My problem is that they are not side-by-side.

When you create a new document and the new document dialog comes up, click the drop-down box that says "First Page is:" and select "Right Page." Is this what you're looking for?
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/

AlanQ

Thank you, Christen

It's so nice that people are trying to help.
But, no, that's not it.

However, I've just had another play and, I think, I've solved it.
But I still don't understand.

If you create a Double Sided document and choose 'First page is Right page'
then add a page
the pages are displayed diagonally -- which is next to useless, they may as well be one above the other.

If you create a Double Sided document and choose 'First page is Left page'
then add a page
the pages are displayed side-by-side -- which is sensible and useful.

Unless 'first page is left' causes some other kind of problem... I think my issue is solved.

Cheers
Alan

Nermander

Quote from: AlanQ on May 13, 2011, 05:17:48 PM
If you create a Double Sided document and choose 'First page is Right page'
then add a page
the pages are displayed diagonally -- which is next to useless, they may as well be one above the other.

How can it be useless to show the pages as they will show in the printed book/magazine?

If you open a magazine or book, you will have an even page on the left and an odd page on the right. And that is what Scribus gives you...

Nowhere in a book or magazine will you have page 1 on the left and page 2 on the right.

You problems maybe is that you are only working with 2 pages? Then you won't see the good thing. But just choose single page layout. The chosen layout only affects how Scribus show the pages on screen.

AlanQ

Dear Nermander

First of all, I apologise.
My criticism was harsh and wrong -- it was born of frustration rather than disrespect -- and I spoke from inexperience.

My point was this:

When it's left first, the pages are displayed side-by-side an butted up to each other, which is exactly as it would be in a book and is easy to handle on a wide screen -- I can see both pages at once.

Right first is the layout of, for example, a single sheet within a book -- in left-to-right reading countries, you read the right-hand page first and then turn the page. However, when my document has only two side, I would still like to be able to see both pages at once. Of course, in this case, it would be appropriate for there to be a gap between them to indicate that the right edge of the right page does not but up to the left edge of the left page.

Putting it simply, I want to be able to use the width of my big screen.

But I agree that the way Scribus does it is correct.

Yours contrite and in friendship
Alan