scripter not working

Previous topic - Next topic

kenhan

Hi,

OS X 10.8.3 + Scribus 1.4.2
With a blank document window, selecting Script -> Scribus Scripts -> CalendarWizard or FontSample says "Running script..." but nothing happens. Can anyone test to see if scripting works in OS X? Thanks.

stansanderson

I have encountered the same behavior with Scribus v.1.4.3 and OS X 10.6.x and 10.9 (Mavericks). This includes a separate install through MacPorts.

On the machine running OS X 10.6, an iMac, I have Windows XP pro also installed. I installed Scribus 1.4.3  in that partition and found that the calendar and font scripts work.

I've been looking for hints but haven't found any (at least any I understand!).

utnik

hi kenhan and stansanderson

i once tryed to use the calendarWizard and had the same problem. when i took a look at the script, i found this:

DESCRIPTION & USAGE:
This script needs Tkinter...

it's the same with fontSample.
i had some problems when trying to install tkinter on os 10.6 – finally i gave up...

utnik

Kunda

Anybody interested in continuing this?
Starting from 10.8+

stansanderson

I'm running OS 10.9, have two installs of Scribus on the machine. One is the official package installed from a .dmg, the other installed through MacPorts. The official install will not run either the Calendar Wizard or Font Sample script. The MacPorts installed Scribus now runs the Font Sample script. A suggestion from MacPorts Users was to install tk +x11. (tk +quartz was currently installed) After I did that, the Font Page dialog appeared and font samples were displayed.

Following installation of tk +x11, Calendar Wizard started running, but the options window did not appear. Instead, the following message was displayed with a request that it be reported to the Scribus bug list:
---------
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 8, in <module>
  File "/Applications/MacPorts/Scribus1.4.3.app/Contents/share/scribus/scripts/CalendarWizard.py", line 669, in <module>
    main()
  File "/Applications/MacPorts/Scribus1.4.3.app/Contents/share/scribus/scripts/CalendarWizard.py", line 660, in main
    app = TkCalendar(root)
  File "/Applications/MacPorts/Scribus1.4.3.app/Contents/share/scribus/scripts/CalendarWizard.py", line 547, in __init__
    self.statusLabel.grid(column=0, row=currRow, columnspan=4)
  File "/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 1963, in grid_configure
    + self._options(cnf, kw))
TclError: cannot use geometry manager grid inside .4686984112 which already has slaves managed by pack
--------
I don't have a clue as to the meaning of the last line ("TclError... ) and would appreciate its interpretation.

Since I do not have access to bugs.scribus, I posted that message (and the output of scribus when started from the Terminal) to the MacPorts list. A gentleman who stated he was a retired Scribus developer had asked for that information. He stated that python scripts are "...crashing in the python/tk interpreter...".

I have seen references to tkinter behaving strangely on Mac OS.

Kunda

Great feedback!

Come to http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Special:WebChat and ask malex for access to the bugtracker. Then post this.