pantone.py imports in RGB

Previous topic - Next topic

joaclint

Hi friends.
I am with pantone.py from www.selapa.net/scribus
I run the script as stanalone and it creates a pantone folder in user/.scribus and generates a user interface for the app
Then i select my option and push Save palete and pantone.py creates the XML in user/.scribus/swatches/locked. This all is ok.

But now i go to scribus (1.4.3 or 1.5 svn) and import the palette in Edit/Colours but they are in RGB not CMYK.
Please, can you help.
Thanx :)

joaclint

More details...

This is the way i see the loaded pantone (scribus 1.5.0 svn). As you can see, they are shown in RGB

Can someone load them in CMYK??

utnik

hi joaclint

the red bullet indicates a spot color – but it has to be defined in some way. your screen comes without a 'pantone 117 c' channel... (take a look at the page you linked in your first post and you'll see that the palettes are meant to be defined in rgb!)
in the 'print preview' you'll find a separate entry for every used pantone color. (make sure you export the pdf 'for printer' and don't check 'convert spot colors to process colors' – otherwhise you'll have your colors printed in cmyk!)

utnik

joaclint

Thanks for reply.
It does not work. Something goes wrong with  the script.
The pdf as you describe is in CMYK but values for pantone are not right bcause they came from RGB values.
For example. The scripts generates well CMYK) the palettes

• CMYK Coated
  • CMYK Uncoated
  • Color Bridge Uncoated

These palettes works fine because the XML includes the CMYK information
But the rest only includes the RGB information.
Why the three palettes mentioned work fine while the rest dont ????
Thanks again

utnik

hi joaclint

please, explain exactly what doesn't work!
i don't know, what you're doing.

• do you export a .pdf in cmyk or with your spot colors?
  • do the colors look wrong on screen? (in scribus or in the .pdf file? with or without color management? only in preview mode?)
  • how do this spot colors look 'wrong'?
utnik

Nermander

Pantone colors are spot colors. This means that for a printer to print them correctly all you need is the name of the color. Provided the printer can handle spot colors.

When you use spot colors you might want them to look reasonably correct on screen, thus you defined RGB values that look "about right". But those RGB values are never used when printing, because spot colors are printed with a special ink having the exact color.

It seems as if you are trying to print spot colors without using a separate ink. That is not the correct way to do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spot_color

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6cafa.html

http://www.pantone.com/pages/pantone/Pantone.aspx?pg=19890

If you want to print CMYK combinations you would generally not use Pantone, but instead define the applicable CMYK colors.

Note what Utnik wrote: "don't check 'convert spot colors to process colors' – otherwhise you'll have your colors printed in cmyk!"

joaclint

Thanks for the answers and help
It is not a problem of concepts. I know about pantones, cmyk...
My problem is the pantone.py script.
When i press Save palette it generates an XML file. But it not includes the CMYK information.. not always because these three cases works fine
    CMYK Coated
    CMYK Uncoated
    Color Bridge Uncoated
Why the others don´t work? I need the Color Bridge Coated and someone else

It is not a problem of Scribus because i run the script as a standlone and i check the XML going to  user/.scribus/swatches/locked and i can confirm that they dont have the CMYK information while the three mentioned cases have it.

??????
Thanks again.

utnik

hi joaclint

Quote from: joaclint on March 05, 2013, 09:52:13 PM...they dont have the CMYK information...

what you need any cmyk information for?

utnik

Nermander

Quote from: joaclint on March 05, 2013, 09:52:13 PM
When i press Save palette it generates an XML file. But it not includes the CMYK information.. not always because these three cases works fine

Because the information in the file is only intended to be used to show an approximation of the Pantone colors on screen...

rrkradio

Sorry if a recover this old thread.

I tried to run the Pantone.py script with Scribus-svn under linux and with Scribus-dev under Mac OS.... but crashes on both systems.

I really need the Pantone palette to use with scribus.

Any idea or workaround?

Tnx a lot,
roby

mnawij

Sorry for the late post, I have been finishing finals, projects, papers, etc...  In inDesign and Illustrator, I define spot colors with CMYK values and those values hold when converting said values to CMYK.  I do this quite a bit actually with customer logos and templates that require specific spot and CMYK values within their "branding" guidelines for different printing processes.  Scribus I believe should hold custom CMYK values in spot colors and use those values when converting spot to CMYK.  Just my two cents. Not sure of the programming difficulty level though.

Regards,

mnawij

rrkradio

Hi mnawij,
thanks for the reply.

I sorted out in a "dirty way" importing the .acb pantone swatches from AI to scribus on Mac OS. After i copied on my linux the .xml palette generated by scribus.

I confirm that scribus hold spot colors definitions.

Have a great day,
roby

Quote from: mnawij on May 26, 2017, 04:53:22 AM
Sorry for the late post, I have been finishing finals, projects, papers, etc...  In inDesign and Illustrator, I define spot colors with CMYK values and those values hold when converting said values to CMYK.  I do this quite a bit actually with customer logos and templates that require specific spot and CMYK values within their "branding" guidelines for different printing processes.  Scribus I believe should hold custom CMYK values in spot colors and use those values when converting spot to CMYK.  Just my two cents. Not sure of the programming difficulty level though.

Regards,

mnawij