Importing InDesign file as .PS, fails to load images

Previous topic - Next topic

kogneto

Hi we're working on a brochure which our designer created in InDesign, but since we're only looking to review, and maybe a few months in the future change some text or add a photo we figured Scribus would be a cheaper alternative to InDesign.

I found an ehow article saying InDesign files could be opened in Scribus if they were .PS or .EPS files. I doubted the reliability due to the file formatting difference, and it seems I was proven right, but the designer sent them as .PS files and we've hit a snag.

It initially displays the loading screen, but once finished it alerts "Converting of 56 images failed!" and then it loads the brochure without images, with backwards and upside down text, and I believe inverted colors. It could be that our designer massively failed, but I suspect Scribus is just having problems rebuilding a .indd as a .ps.

I've installed Ghostscript's most recent W7x64 version 9.0.7, but I've also let my boss know that this may not work. Am I correct in my assumption that this is a formatting difference or is there something else I should try?

Nermander

I don't think it's a good idea to try to import a postscript file into Scribus.

But first of all you should try to use for example gsview to view the postscript file and see that it is correctly exported. It sounds to me that it has been exported mirrored.

kogneto

Ok, so gsview can open it and print it in great resolution

anything I should be doing differently with scribus? any adapters or .ps plugins I need?