Scribus Backup Files

Previous topic - Next topic

richardpaulhall

PC - Windows XP

Does Scribus automatically create a backup file when a work file is saved?
Where is the file saved?
Is there an option to do that?

Rick

Nermander

Du you mean a copy of the old version when a new version of the file is saved?

No, I don't even know of any program that does that, unless it has support for version control.

utnik

hi rick

Quote from: richardpaulhall on February 14, 2013, 12:39:17 AM...create a backup file when a work file is saved?...
...Is there an option to do that?

this option is called: 'save as'. – don't forget to clear the enormous file collection from time to time...

utnik

richardpaulhall

Quote from: Nermander on February 14, 2013, 08:14:46 AM
Do you mean a copy of the old version when a new version of the file is saved?

Every word processing application, yes I know Scribus is not a wp application, creates a .bak file, whatever the name.

I'm asking because Scribus 1.4.2 crashed today while I was using the spell checker and most of the first page of the document just vanished.

Nermander

Well if it's a crash, Scribus does autosave according to the set interval. So there should be a sla.autosave file you can rename.

dave61430

I assumed he wasn't aware of the auto save. So, no, Scribus doesn't make a backup file on exit, but it does frequent auto saves as you edit so you have something to fall back on. By default the save is in same directory, haven't looked to see if this can be changed in preferences.
My text editor makes a .bak file of the original file. Applications vary in this respect.

richardpaulhall

I was not aware of the auto save file, but there wasn't one in the directory. The application died -instantly- while I was using the spell checker in the story editor.

Ok, I'll chalk this up to my failure to do a save before I did the spell check.

-->
I assumed he wasn't aware of the auto save. So, no, Scribus doesn't make a backup file on exit, but it does frequent auto saves as you edit so you have something to fall back on. By default the save is in same directory, haven't looked to see if this can be changed in preferences.
-->

Christen_Anderson

Quote from: richardpaulhall on February 16, 2013, 09:16:30 PM
I was not aware of the auto save file, but there wasn't one in the directory. The application died -instantly- while I was using the spell checker in the story editor.

I believe that Scribus doesn't automatically autosave your files. You have to enable the autosave option (File --> Preferences --> Document). This doesn't really help you this time, but for future reference...

~Christen
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/

dave61430

Autosave seems to be the default though, so it should be checked unless you uncheck it.