Can't render gradients

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristopherWere

Yet another bug out of scribus. Does anyone know how to fix the problem seen when trying to render a document as a 1.6 version PDF. I've tried so many settings and this just happens.

Should I even be using Scribus professionally if problems like this are regular?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nermander

Does the problem show in Adobe Reader?

utnik

hi chris

if you really want some help, you should stop to insult the programmers of scribus and maybe providing some more information about your problems.

• all your posts contain things like: 'I have to say I am disappointed...', 'Pretty shoddy that this hasn't been worked out yet.', 'useless fukwits'...
  • if i try to help, you don't answer my questions.
for this one (with the line in the gradient) you should tell us, which reader you use – and provide an .sla file instead of a screenshot.
utnik

ChristopherWere

I'm sorry for being an ass, but please understand that I lose a fair bit of wages when Scribus bugs out no me and it does claim to be professional class.

I use the 'Document Viewer' program for Linux to view the file and I've attached an example PDF and .sla file where it occurs.

Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi chris

in adobe reader (the reference) the problem doesn't show up.
your pdf file is correct. you should check your files with a better pdf reader...

utnik

Arran

Chris
I completely support Utnik with his critic of your texts. This behaviour is not «comme-il-faut» (or in English: gentleman-like). Have you donated a fair amount of money to the developpers? This is a free software which is programmed by people not getting paid for this kind of work, they do  it as a hobby. It would probably be much more helpful to register with the developpers and make them aware of your problems.

Salut! 
Have you first consulted the Manual? You can probably find the solution there.

Happy Greetings from Scotland's nicest Holiday Island

Nermander

I think you really should get a refund for Scribus and buy Indesign instead...

ChristopherWere

I just feel a little mislead that Scribus claims to be professional quality software when it's clearly designed for laying out Sunday service newsletters. I know I'm sounding like a jack-ass but this is a massive failing in open-source no-one seems to recognise.

You can't claim that open-source software is professional quality and stable and then get annoyed when other people get annoyed that it's not professional quality or stable. I really like the idea of open-source but please understand that some of us make out living from typesetting and when it takes 2 hours to do a one hour job because of a bug that should be there, that digs into our wages, and I've come across just so make errors and bugs in Scribus.

This might be a pet project to you but this is my wages, my livelihood and I earn very little. Maybe you don't care and that's fine, why should you, but I'm not angry out of idle annoyance, I'm angry because all this stuff, directly and seriously affects my life.

Arran

This is you opinion and your good right to react like a little child whose toys have been taken away. I use Scribus since a few years and make typography commercially too. I used to work with inDesign and find the differences are really just minor.

And by the way, this little white hairline in your graphic is not even really viewable. Not at all in Adobe, and just about 1/5 of a millimeter in Okular. So don't be more popish than the pope himself.

Have a good life where ever it will be. But please spare us your unqualified critisms in this form we had to endure from you. 
Have you first consulted the Manual? You can probably find the solution there.

Happy Greetings from Scotland's nicest Holiday Island

utnik

hi chris

what you call a scribus bug is a problem with your third party pdf viewer. you can download adobe reader for free and check your files.
if you stick on your hostile behavior, don't expect any help in the future...

utnik

ChristopherWere

I've already apologised for my conduct and I am genuinely sorry. It's just the number of bugs that are getting me down. I know this one was a bit of a non-issue and thanks for your help.

But these bugs can make it tough sometimes and I know you don't care about my circumstances but I'm really just trying to let you know where I'm coming from.

Nermander

Quote from: ChristopherWere on February 06, 2013, 07:25:34 PM
I just feel a little mislead that Scribus claims to be professional quality software when it's clearly designed for laying out Sunday service newsletters.

Have you looked at for example http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Success_stories_2012 ?

Do you consider all those publications to be "Sunday service newsletters"?

ChristopherWere

Maybe I should put forward some of my 'success stories'. I've done some pretty good stuff with Scrubus.

But my problem isn't with what Scribus can or can't do, otherwise I would have started using proprietary software ages ago. It's just the bugs can mean making a job take twice as long as it should do, and when you get paid by the job and not by the hour, that can be a real deduction in a days wages if you have to spend a few hours bug fixing or looking for work arounds.

Nermander

Well then the solution is easy: Save time by buying another program. Scribus is free so you are not wasting money not using it.

Nobody forces you to use Scribus. Scribus is free to use for those who want to.

You are talking about wasting time and losing income, what do you think the developers of Scribus do when they work with Scribus?

ChristopherWere

I think they are earning a lot more money than me. And it's not like I don't appreciate it, I do a lot of volunteer work myself, I just don't claim to be as good as the professional equivalent.

Scribus might be free but the time learning to use it and fix bugs isn't. It would be nice if there was paid support available for Scribus.