Scribus doesn't support color text any more?

Previous topic - Next topic

mefistochen

Dear Scribus-Users!

Some weeks ago I made a Scribus document. There were some text fields with blue text.

But when I change the text in one of those fields now the Scribus text editor window automatically changes the color setting to "Black". When I only go into the editor field of the Scribus text editor window he always changes my settings so that the color is "Black".

I don't understand that behaviour. The old blue text fields stay in blue as long as I don't make any changes. It looks like the color is not supported any more. But then it is strange that I can compile the document (into PDF) and the former written blue text gives me a well blue text in the PDF.

I use Ubuntu 11.10  & Windows 7 (the problem occurs on both systems) and Scribus 1.4.1
I asked that question on ( http://scribus-forum.de/discussion/warum-kann-ich-einem-textfeld-keine-blaue-schrift-einstellen ) in German but didn't receive any answer yet.

Thanks for every help!

Mefistochen

GarryP

Mefistochen, the only times that I have noticed a similar issue is when I have used "Get Text..." from the contextual menu.

When you use "Get Text..." Scribus seems to forget a lot - if not all - of the text format settings. I assume this is because it's not possible to know how to re-apply the formatting between one piece of text and another, so all the formatting just gets reset.

However, I've never seen the issue you are reporting when doing any other editing (as far as I can remember) so if you could post an example document with an explanation of exactly how you make the changes it might be easier for someone to see what's happening themselves and provide an answer.

P.S. Are you making changes to text fields (for PDF forms) or text frames? From your description it's not absolutely clear.

mefistochen

This problems accours when I write in small capitals. The font "small capitals" is supported and blue color, too. But not the combination of both.

GarryP

Sorry Mefistochen, I've tried many different ways of replicating your problem but, unfortunately, without success.

First I created a text frame, added some sample text, then used the Properties palette to make the text blue.

Then I tried...
* Selecting some text without the story editor and changing it to Small Caps;
* Selecting some text in the story editor and changing it the same way;
* Typing - without the story editor - directly into a section already in Small Caps;
* Typing in the story editor into a section already in Small Caps;
* Cutting a section of Small Caps and pasting into a different place;
* Cutting a section of normal text and pasting it into a Small Caps area;
* Adding new text into the different areas and to the end and start;
* Deleting text from different places;
* Making the whole frame Small Caps, and back to normal again;
* Using different fonts - including "non-system-installed" fonts.

...and I just can't replicate what's happening with your document.

If you could post the SLA document that you're having trouble with then someone might be able to look at it properly. (Obviously if you have understandable privacy issues, or similar, then that's not an option.)

The only other bit of advice I can give is to copy the text from each text frame to an external plain text editor, delete the text frame, create a new one, then paste the text back in and format it. Just in case your text frames are "corrupted" somehow (I have no idea how this would occur though).

Either that or choose a different font (the one you're using might not support Small Caps properly, or something).

Apart from that, unless I can see the actual problem document, or exactly replicate the problem, I can't be of much more help. Maybe someone else has more of an idea about it.

I hope you find a solution.

dave61430

I'm taking a look at Scribus having used PagePlus for a long time. I believe I see the same problem. I setup a character style for page headings (red) that works ok, but when I simply select the text within the frame and overwrite, the new text reverts to default (black) and I have to re-apply the style via properties. Not only is this a pain, but Scribus doesn't have the usual tool bar options for font, size and style that other products supply. Why, even this reply dialog let's me select font face, size and color. I'm using latest download 1.4.2.

utnik

hi dave

Quote from: dave61430 on February 07, 2013, 03:57:55 AMScribus doesn't have the usual tool bar options for font, size and style...

take a look at the 'properties' window (f2) – here are many options for the selected object...

utnik

Arran

Quote from: mefistochen on January 23, 2013, 01:19:47 PM
I asked that question on ( http://scribus-forum.de/discussion/warum-kann-ich-einem-textfeld-keine-blaue-schrift-einstellen ) in German but didn't receive any answer yet.

And did you not see the solution by Utnik there? He wrote:
farbiger text
hallo mefistochen
hast du schon mal versucht, die farbe unter 'eigenschaften' (f2) → 'text' → 'farben & effekte' zuzuweisen, oder einen eigenen stil (f3) für die blauen abschnitte zu erstellen?
...ich würde so vorgehen – hat bisher immer geklappt. den texteditor benutze ich eigentlich nie.
gruss
utnik

You haven't even bothered to give an answer. Not nice, indeed.
Have you first consulted the Manual? You can probably find the solution there.

Happy Greetings from Scotland's nicest Holiday Island