problem with svg image

Previous topic - Next topic

Perplexus

I am unable to load this svg-image in the Scribus document in the proper way. What is this?
I made this image with Inkscape. Checked it several times:
1. with rsvg-view: correct display
2. with Opera (browser): correct display
3. with W3C-check: all correct

Scribus has problems with this SVG-import. Why?

[attachment deleted by admin]

GarryP

If you're sure there is no "invisible stuff" at the far top left of the image have you tried saving an EPS copy of your image (through Inkscape) and putting that EPS in a Scribus image frame?

It might not be an ideal "fix" but it usually works for me.

My personal preference for vector graphics in Scribus is to use EPS in image frames, as opposed to importing SVGs. This gives you the dual advantages of (a) being able to resize the image more precisely, and (b) allows you to use contour lines for text flow. It's much more flexible but it does mean that you need two copies of the same image - but disk space is cheap and file searching is easy nowadays.

There may be technical reasons why importing an SVG is better - and I'm sure someone will rightly chastise me for saying the above if there are - but, for my simple needs, "EPS in image frame" wins almost every time.

Perplexus

Thank you for your reply, GarryP

gregnh

I was trying to also import an .svg from inkscape into scribus to separate. When i imported using the get vector teardown, my file objects would be larger. so i made a new file w/ just a square, converted it to paths, and got the same exact result, a 5" square would be over 6 inches. then i saved it as an eps-the square size was perfect. whats up w/ that? using .eps reminds me waay too much of my old illustrator days. come to think of it the file objects were different sizes between those 2 programs too.

Meho R.

Quote from: gregnh on February 06, 2013, 10:00:26 PM
I was trying to also import an .svg from inkscape into scribus to separate. When i imported using the get vector teardown, my file objects would be larger. so i made a new file w/ just a square, converted it to paths, and got the same exact result, a 5" square would be over 6 inches. then i saved it as an eps-the square size was perfect. whats up w/ that? using .eps reminds me waay too much of my old illustrator days. come to think of it the file objects were different sizes between those 2 programs too.

As described in Scribus Wiki:
[...] Dimensions: As you may have noticed when you tried to import an SVG file, the imported drawing often has huge dimensions. This is a result of SVG's original purpose as a graphics markup language (in contrast to a page description language like PostScript or PDF). Just like the creator of a web page doesn't know anything about the screen size or the browser that renders the page, the authors of the SVG specification considered the dimensions of an SVG drawing as a result of "negotiations" between a server that provides the graphic and a client (a web browser, a mobile phone), who is supposed to tell the server what the required dimensions are. In plain English: The dimensions of the drawing are whatever a client says they are. For a page layout program like Scribus, this information is useless, and as a result, the SVG importer is trying a "best guess" when it comes to the dimensions of an SVG drawing. This may or may not work to everyone's satisfaction, but you can easily re-scale an imported SVG by using the the X, Y, Z tab of the Properties Palette. [...]

Nermander

Wouldn't it make sense to have that "best guess" have a limit to make the image fit the current page size? I can't see many situations where someone wants an imported image to be larger than the page, and in those few cases the image can be enlarged as required.

Arran

Nobody keeps you back to enlarge or reduce the dimension in the Vector programm itself and import then the correct size.
Have you first consulted the Manual? You can probably find the solution there.

Happy Greetings from Scotland's nicest Holiday Island

Nermander

No, but the point here is that if the image imports to 2000 times the page size, it might not even be visible. So users keep thinking the image did not get imported.

And how would you know with what amount to shrink it without seeing how big it is? If you at least see it's the size of the page and should be about a quarter of the page you know it should be about 25%.

utnik

hi nermander

i don't know, how hard it is to implement, but page size as a maximum would be a good thing.
please file a feature request at bugs.scribus.net.

utnik