setting font size for a text field

Previous topic - Next topic

quark13

Hello,

When I make a form and open it in Foxit Reader, the form works and lets me enter text, but the text size changes depending on how many characters are in the box.  This seems convenient, but I would rather the size be static and not allow more characters than the box can hold.  PDF Options -> Field properties lets me choose the resulting font but not the size.  There aren't any options in Foxit to limit the size either.  It also appears that Foxit has a default font size for text boxes which likely can't be changed since I can't find any option for it.  Is there any work around here?

Also, Foxit Reader opens the PDF fine, but Adobe Reader doesn't recognize the text fields and treats them as empty boxes.  This doesn't bother me too much, but it would be nice to figure this out, too.

Thanks for the help.  I'm glad I stumbled upon Scribus!

(edit for clarity)

quark13

For some reason, the behavior of the text fields changed today, allowing me to solve one problem while a new one appeared.

Now when I create a text field and open it in either Adobe X or Foxit Reader the font size is constant and no longer changes size depending on the amount of the text.  I don't know why this behaving differently today.  In one way this is good, because now I can change the font size of the field in Scribus using either the Properties or Edit Text windows.  The font stays that size in the form--this is progress!

Unfortunately, I don't know how to control the rest of the behavior.  If I don't choose multi-line, the text scrolls to the left when it reaches the end of the box, whereas before it would become smaller and wraparound onto a different line.  I would like to be able to use both styles on my form.  Changing the Field Properties to multi-line is helpful, which causes the text to wrap.  However, the multi-lines are double-spaced and I need single-spaced.  Changing the font properties of the field doesn't help this situation.

In summary, how do I control the following:

• self-scaling versus static font sizes in text fields
  • single versus double-line spacing in text fields

It would be great if I could create text fields with minimum and maximum font sizes that automatically scale depending on the size of the field, wrapping around to the next single-spaced line.  The technology seems to exist in the PDF format, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not implementable.  At the least, there seems to be a toggle for scaling versus static.  I haven't seen a single-spaced field yet, so purposes the PDF format doesn't support it.

Thank you for any help!

(edit for finding a partial solution for font size)