Size and exportation to pdf

Previous topic - Next topic

soso74

Hello,

I get into troubles... I created a document with page size 441x666pt and I defined some margins etc. but when I export in into PDF and I read it with Adobe Reader and I check the properties of the document, the size is not the one I defined.. it's bigger like if the margins were added outside de document instead of inside..

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks

GarryP

I tried doing the same with a blank document at 441pt x 666pt in Scribus 1.4.1 on OS X and it exported to PDF just fine.

Acrobat Reader 9.5.2 shows the document size to be 6.12in x 9.25in (which translates to 440.64pt x 666pt) and "Get Info" on the file itself shows the document to have the expected dimensions.

Did you add bleeds to the document when it was created (either specifically or by default, check your preferences)? That would increase the size of the page.

soso74

Yes I have bleeds in my document. Then does that mean that if I want to use bleeds then I have to calculate the size of the page minus these bleeds size? e.g. if the final size of the document is 661pt width and the bleeds are 10pt then I should say that the width of the document is 661-10 = 651pt?

Thanks a lot

soso74

There is something really strange.. Even if I change the size of my document in scribus to 100pt width.. and I export it into PDF it remains 521pt width when I check the properties of the PDF file... Something is wrong but I do not understand what??

soso74

I forgot to check the option "apply to all pages"...

If I want to get the final size 441x666pt in the properties of the final pdf size I had to set the size of the document in scribus to 361x586pt... It's strange because I have:

* Margins: Interior: 45pt, Exterior/Top/Bottom: 18pt
* Bleeds: 9pt to all

So I do not understand why I should choose these 361pt for width and 586pt for height of the document?

Thanks for your help..

Nermander

Scribus will add trim/bleed marks outside the bleed area, so if those marks are included the PDF size will be bigger than the page size.

The whole point with bleed is to add additiona space outside the page, the printing process should use the trim box to decide what part of the page is "the content" and it should not matter whether there is space outside.

soso74

Thanks for your help.

But then.. if I have a page size of 361pt width and I have bleed of 9pt and margins of 18pt and interior margin of 45pt.. then the final size of my pdf should be: 361 + 9*2 + 18*2 + 45 = 460pt although the final size of the pdf (checking inside the properties of the pdf) is 441pt.. so why?

Thanks again

utnik

hi soso74

you mix up a couple of things:

• page size: the width and hight of the final page (printed and cut)
  • margins: free edges of the page (don't add up, margins are part of the page size)
  • bleeds: supplementary area, allows a slightly shifted cut
only the bleeds (and additional infos like cut marks or registration marks...) add up – the final pdf should be the page size + the bleeds + ~2pt surrounding (if you don't print any additional marks...)

if you have access to acrobat pro you can check all the areas of the final pdf.
utnik

soso74

Thanks a lot for your help.

But then the size of the pdf (in my example) would be 361+2*9 (9 is the size of the bleed I set in scribus) but then even with 2pt more the size of the pdf should be around 383 and not 441... So I do not understand why I get this? I am confused sorry..

utnik

hi soso47

show me a sample .sla with its final .pdf file – then i can try to bring some light in...

utnik

Nermander

I just tested here. I created a sample document with the settings mentioned above:

Size 361x586pt
Left margin 45pt
Top margin 18pt
Right margin 18pt
Bottom margin 18pt
Bleeds 9pt

Exported first to PDF with no bleeds and no marks. Acrobat says 361x586 pt size.

Then export to PDF with no bleed but crop marks. Acrobat says 401x626 pt size.

Export to PDF with bleed but no marks. Acrobat says 379x604 pt size.

Export to PDF with both bleed and crop marks. Acrobat says 419x644 pt size.

Files attached.

I think the problem here is that Scribus allows no control of the size of the region used for crop/trim marks. The intention is probably that the RIP should take care of removing excess "margins" when the job is imposed. The best solution is probably to let Scribus make the PDF as large as needed, and then use some other tool to crop the PDF to the desired size.

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi soso74
hi nermander

for me everything looks as expected. if you take a look at the different frames in acrobat ('print production' – 'crop pages'), you'll see, that the final page is 361x586pt for every file.
bleeds and crop marks need some space – so the full pdf size needs to be bigger!

i can't find a problem here...

utnik

Nermander

The "problem" is that soso74 wants to have control of the size of the region used for the "marks", but Scribus does not allow that control. Now Scribus adds "to much space". Scribus only allows changing the bleed area, not the "marks" area.

So, as I said, the best solution is most likely to crop the document to the desired size in an external application. Or, if the PDF "boxes" don't have to be correct, use the "old" 1.3.3.x way for bleed (create the page size the same as the sheet and use guides and margins to place the content within the correct area).

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Bleed_workarounds

soso74

Thanks a lot for your time and help..

I am trying to get this final size of the pdf because I would like to print my document with blurb... and they say to verify with Adobe Reader if the final size is correct...
http://www.blurb.fr/pdf-to-book-previewing-guides

Maybe I confused how to check this final size of the pdf then?

utnik

hi soso74

on the linked blurb info page they recommend to check the final dimensions. but the dimensiones listed in the properties screenshot are those of the full pdf file. for the final page size (after cutting) you need acrobat pro (or you trust scribus...)

utnik