Transparency used (transparency group)" warnings

Previous topic - Next topic

oscillator

Hi!

When I'm checking my final printer-ready PDF with Adobe Acrobat Pro X it reports a lot of "Transparency used (transparency group)" warnings (red X:s). I'm doing the Acrobat Preflight Sheetfeed profile check.

When I "show" them in Acrobat they display as "lines" in the bleed area. But what are they? (See attachment.)

I've created the PDF using a Fogra27 CMYK profile, PDF 1.4/Acrobat 5, Output intended for: Printer. I used my Document bleeds, no Printer Marks are checked.

I'm running Scribus 1.4 on Ubuntu 12.04.

Any input welcome!

Staffan

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi staffan

this .jpg file can't offer the info we need – you'll find the source of the problem in your .sla file...

utnik

oscillator

Thanks Utnik!

I've attached the .sla (zipped).

Observation: The magazine is 40 pages. If I delete all but pages 1 and 2 and make a PDF of them, I don't get this behavior.

utnik

hi staffan

i don't know where this red lines come from – they don't appear in the file i created (but all the pictures are missing, of course...)
the only transparency issues i got are related with the diagrams on pages 18 and 19.

utnik

oscillator

Thanks for testing!

Did you use the Acrobat 6 export? (I don't seem get the errors for X-3...) Can you send me your PDF for comparison? (staffan.melin@oscillator.se)

See attachment for how the preflight turns out in Acrobat X. I use the Acrobat X "Sheetfeed" profile.

utnik

if it's really a transparency problem, then it should be gone in x-3 of course. (no transparencies allowed, so scribus flattens them...)

utnik

a.l.e

euh, utnik, scribus can't flatten transparencies... :-(

utnik

Quote from: a.l.e on October 31, 2012, 08:31:31 AM...scribus can't flatten transparencies... :-(

...ok. – but what does it, that acrobat doesn't find any transparencies in the x-3 file?

utnik

oscillator

Thank you both for your input!

Utnik, you do have the same transparency groups in the 1.5 file, see attachment. (They are not red, only when I click the "Show" button.) They are mysteriously placed along the bleed line.

oscillator

Ok, Utnik pointed me in the right direction...it's the three imported SVG diagrams on page 18-19 that are causing this behavior. If I delete them all the transparency groups (from all pages!) are gone.

The diagrams are created in LibreOffice Calc, copy and pasted into LibreOffice Draw, saved as SVGs and then imported as vector illustrations into Scribus.

Even if they are in some way corrupt, they shouldn't create these kinds of "errors", should they? Should I post this as a Scribus bug report?

a.l.e

@utnik, i guess taht in pdf x/3 scribus just removes the transparencies.
i've not tried it, but afaik thre is no code in scribus to flatten transparencies and from what i've read it would be a huge project to implement it...

so what i guess is that scribus is replacing transparent shapes through filled one by using a "matching" color.

utnik

thanks for this interesting info – i'll run some related experiments (as soon as i'll find the time...)

utnik

Meho R.

Quote from: oscillator on October 31, 2012, 10:15:32 AM

The diagrams are created in LibreOffice Calc, copy and pasted into LibreOffice Draw, saved as SVGs and then imported as vector illustrations into Scribus.

Just a general sidenote regarding SVG and Libre/OpenOffice: SVGs created in LO/OO just aren't reliable (or, at least, not printing/importing ready; consider them half-products in need of finishing touch). You should always check them with some "real" vector editor, like Inkscape or Illustrator, prior to importing them into Scribus, to make sure there are no problems (and you'd be amazed what kind of problems and ridiculous issues you may encounter with SVGs created by Office apps).

oscillator