Adding Visio Document to Scribbus

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrettiDog

In Publisher I can import an object and load a Visio file directly.  This is a better option than exporting the Visio to a PNG because the quality is much better.  I tried importing a PNG as an image in Scribus but I feel like the end result will be too distorted.  Anyone have ideas on bringing a Visio over in a good quality?

I'm still learning Scribus so I might have missed something simple.  Oh, I did search but Visio brings up so many results (vision, envision, division, etc)!

Thanks - AD

John_Jason_Jordan

Quote from: AndrettiDog on September 13, 2012, 07:17:54 PM
In Publisher I can import an object and load a Visio file directly.  This is a better option than exporting the Visio to a PNG because the quality is much better.  I tried importing a PNG as an image in Scribus but I feel like the end result will be too distorted.  Anyone have ideas on bringing a Visio over in a good quality?

I'm still learning Scribus so I might have missed something simple.  Oh, I did search but Visio brings up so many results (vision, envision, division, etc)!

Being a Microsoft product, Visio uses a proprietary file format. However, as I dimly understand it, the format is vector graphic, not bitmap. (If you don't understand the difference, your first step should be to ask your friend Mr. Google about bitmap vs. vector.)

Scribus, being open source, does not have contracts with Microsoft, so Scribus does not have an import filter for Visio files. However, there are a few possibilities. One of them, as you have discovered, is PNG. But PNGs from Visio will be bitmaps, and low resolution at that. A better option would be to print to file. This will create a Postscript vector file. Scribus can import the Postscript file directly. I would suggest trying this first. If it does not work, post back with details and I'll see if I can think of some alternatives or workarounds.
Linguistics on Linux!

AndrettiDog

I think I have a grasp on vector vs bitmap.  I was able to save to file in Visio but no extension was created. I added a .ps so that Scribus would think it's a good file.  I was able to open it in an image frame but it doesn't see the image (just a big red X).  Is there is different object or method to use to bring in a .ps file?

Thanks for your help - AD

a.l.e

hi,

could you attach a sample file?

i fear that even if your attaching the .ps extension, the file is not a postscript file...

ciao
a.l.e