Best way of handling tables in Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

randylewiskemp

I'm new to Scribus.  I'm building a document using a Scribus template.  I can copy text and images from either Open Office and/or Libre Office into the image and text template portions.  How do veterans handle tables here? I assume the table building capacity isn't available in Scribus 1.4.1 yet.  Do you make them images and copy them over?  Do you stack some text frames together to resemble a table?  Since the document I'm building has several tables, I need some advice on how others have addressed this issue.

randylewiskemp

I see now.  I shouldn't Google "Scribus tables" before I look at Scribus itself.  You can insert a table.  I just have to see how to best do it in the text area of a Scribus template.

utnik

hi randy

yes, you can insert a table (shartcut: 'a') – but its not a table like a part of an excel spreadsheet. its a series of grouped rectangles. when i remember right, you have to ungroup them before they work as text frames (or you can convert some of them to image frames...)

an alternative is to build your tables in another program (e.g. libreoffice), export as a .pdf and import this .pdf file into an image frame. (in this case, you should check 'file' → 'document setup' → 'pdf export' → 'general' → 'embed pdf & eps files' and keep in mind that there is no color conversion to the output profile for this frames.)

Quote from: randylewiskemp on September 18, 2012, 08:48:01 PMI can copy text and images from either Open Office and/or Libre Office into the image and text template portions...

you should not insert images by 'drag & drop' – if you do so, you blow up the .sla file and slow down the performence of scribus (you can even run out of your ram, so you won't be able to open your files any more – at least one forum member had this problem...)
the usual way is to import pictures with a double click at the image frame. (the images are linked to the file, not embedded...)

utnik

randylewiskemp

utnik:
Thanks again for the good advice and quick response.
Randy

Nermander

First of all: see if you really need a true table, or if you can achieve what you want by using TABs.

Scribus tables are really just a lot of text frames, and are not very easy to work with. For me they are the last resort.

The solution to insert tables as vector images is a workaround and means the content is not editable.

New table support is coming (but I'm not sure when).

a.l.e

hi

the new (real) table engine is in 1.5svn.

it's cute and very promising!

... but still needs some polishing for 1.6...

ciao
a.l.e

randylewiskemp

Thanks everyone for the good advice.  I do look forward to the production ready version of Scribus 1.6, so I can see the new tables feature.