Problem with template - please help

Previous topic - Next topic

randylewiskemp

Let me start by saying I'm new to Scribus.  If you Google "white paper template Scribus", you find one at Scribus stuff [dot] org.  You also find a Google link to it at white paper depot [dot] com.  Anyway, it turns out to be a zip archive containing a file with a .SLA extension, along with two images with .PNG and .JPEG extensions.   

I start up Scribus 1.4.1 and click on the .SLA file.  Then I save it as a template in Scribus.  Then I reopen Scribus.  I click on "new from template".  I'm able to edit page 1 of the template but nothing on page 2.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I did email the author but he is on holiday until next week.  I thought I'll try the forum.  Now if I pick new from template, and either pick either brochure_1 or newsletter_1, I'm able to edit all the image and text files.

So what is happening with page 2 of the white paper template file?  Am I doing something wrong or is there an issue with the template?  I'll try to include all the files from the template zip archive.

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi randy

your .sla file is organized in three layers. all elements of the first page and the footline and page number on the second page are elements of a layer called 'background' that's what you have been able to edit so long...
for the rest you need the 'layers' palette (f6).
in scribus, the access is always limited to objects of the currently active layer.

utnik

randylewiskemp

Utnik:
That's it.  Thanks.
Utnik (and others):
Also, how do I edit the "Acme, INC" text at the bottom.  I don't see it in the layers? Thanks in advance.  I figured out how to duplicate the pages.

utnik

hi randy

you can apply a master page to a series of pages in one run (or inserting a number of pages with applied master pages into your document...)
but i think, you need to take a look at the manual (http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Help:Manual_Masterpages).

in scribus, you can't edit elements from a master page on the real document page. master pages contain only fixed items. but you can copy your second document page 19 times. these copies can be edited.
...or you can import pages from another .sla file – take a look at the 'page' menu...

the copyright part and the page numbers are part of the master page (didn't check this before...) – they can only be edited there ('edit' → 'master pages' → 'regular page') – well, you'll need some experience to get familiar with scribus – good luck...

utnik

randylewiskemp

Utnik:
Thanks again for the quick and detailed response.
Randy