Broken pages?

Previous topic - Next topic

Nightgaun7

Hoping y'all can help me figure out an issue I'm having.

I started a project a little while ago, made a PDF preview of it, and then took a break from that part of the project. Now, coming back to continue it, I find pretty much everything broken.

FileOrganization shows how I've got things arranged in case it's relevant.

I created a bunch of two-page files in Scribus and saved them each in a single folder (see IndividualFolder pic). When I open them up now, they look like Individual1 and Individual2. All the images are missing, the text doesn't seem to editable, and when I try to export, well, take a look at IndividualExport. As far as I can tell all of the stuff that the scribus file calls on is still in the same place and intact.

(Continued in next post so I can attach more pictures)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nightgaun7

So after making all of those, I then combined them in Scribus and exported to PDF.

CollatedScribus shows what that currently looks like in Scribus. I can't interact with any of the elements here.
CollatedPDF shows what it looked like last time I exported it.
CollatedPDFBroken shows what it looks like after I just exported it again.

Now interestingly, whatever is broken is not entirely consistent among the different files. If I open up another of the original two-page pairs, I can edit the body text only (see IndividualTextFrame). In another one, I can only interact with the title text frame. In some I can interact with all the text but the images are missing.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

utnik

hi nightgawn
Quote from: Nightgaun7 on March 03, 2017, 04:32:12 AMAll the images are missing...

take a look at 'extras' → 'manage images' and you'll find some change in the image path.
Quote...the text doesn't seem to editable...

it's hard to tell without access to the file, but the text frame may be on a locked layer (or just on a different layer...)

in the summary i don't suspect scribus to do anything wrong here – but as i said, it's hard to tell without the files...

utnik

Nightgaun7

I opened up the image manager and it showed everything missing (ImageManager1).

I tried doing an image search for one of the elements and found it (ImageManager2 and ImageManager3).

I noticed that the original link had /Desktop/ in there, which I'm guessing might be the source of the problem, but I have no idea why it would have gotten that inserted in there, because all work was done using files in the Dropbox folder.

I also attached one of the files in case it helps. I'd be happy to provide more if needed.

Nightgaun7

OK, I've gotten the images fixed for one of the files (screenshots attached) - but I still can't interact with the text frames or image frames at all - they're just showing visually, and I can interact with the nested PDFs on the second page.

utnik

hi nightgaun

Quote from: Nightgaun7 on March 03, 2017, 07:49:40 AM...the original link had /Desktop/ in there, which I'm guessing might be the source of the problem, but I have no idea why it would have gotten that inserted in there, because all work was done using files in the Dropbox folder.

the original links refere to stuff in a folder called 'desktop' inside your dropbox. (i suspect you once had a directory called 'TRO layout' on your desktop and as you moved it to the dropbox, you moved it accidentally together with the directory 'desktop' and later you corrected this...)

QuoteI still can't interact with the text frames or image frames at all...

you need to activate the appropriate layer (f6) to edit an item. (i. e. the layer body text for the big text frame...)

the origin of your problems is the fact that you forgot how you managed your files. this wont be a problem, once you get used to the way scribus works...

utnik

Nightgaun7

That's allowed me to fix the problem enough to start fixing it properly, thanks.

However, when checking some of the files paths for the images across the various documents, not all of them in all the folders have the /desktop/ added, some have no path at all, some have the right path and the image is the right place but isn't showing up, and some have the right path but the image is missing from where it's supposed to be.

As far as I know all of the files are in the same configuration they've been in since the start of the project, but I guess it's possible someone else with access to the dropbox moved things and then it got reverted back or something. But it still seems weird that there would be such a variety of problems with the file paths.

Nightgaun7

So it turns out that not only do I have to re-add each image to each page manually, I also have to activate each layer/frame each time I want to interact with it. Is there a way to fix that?

utnik

hi nightgaun

why on earth did you split your layout into 13 different layers in the first place?
i almost never use more than three layers – except i check out some alternative arrangements or i need different exports (i. e. an english and a german version...)

you could reduce the number of your layers, otherwise you have to live with your setup (and take it as a part of your learning curve...)

utnik

Nightgaun7

Out of habit from working with art programs I guess. At this point I'm thinking it might be easier to start over from the beginning. C'est la guerre.