SOLVED: Keyboard shortcut for frame select?

Previous topic - Next topic

marko2010

I found a wiki page that seems to indicate that I can call the select (arrow) tool by pressing "C" on my keyboard. I have never been able to make this shortcut work, although the insert text frame and insert picture frame keyboard shortcuts work great. Is this something that has been dropped from the latest version of Scribus (I am running 1.4.1). Here is the wiki page with the "C" keyboard shortcut documented:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Toolbars

I'm spending a ridiculous amount of time just moving my pointer between select tool and edit text tool. If I can find a  some working shortcuts for this it will speed  up my workflow considerably.

utnik

hi marko

the shortcut 'c' for the select tool works fine – but there is a limitation:
when you are editing your text, pressing the 'c' key places a 'c' character at the current cursor position. (some writers still use this letter – so i like being able to use it as well...)

if you click in an empty area (outside of all selectable text or image boxes), you are in select mode – this click may be faster, than moving the pointer to the 'select' icon. at least if there is some empty space in your layout (elements on other layers are not selectable – so they can be taken as empty space for this purpose...)

utnik

marko2010

Thanks utnit, I am making some progress on this. I can now see that pressing the "e" on the keyboard while a frame is selected instantly gives me the text tool at the beginning of the frame. That's very handy.

But is there any way to go from hovering over an unselected text frame with the the pointer (see pic below) to being able to grab the frame below without having to click on the toolbar arrow icon. I've been hitting the letter "c" as illustrated in the  picture below and it's not grabbing anything.

[attachment deleted by admin]

a.l.e

ciao marko,

just tested the "c" key in 1.5 and 1.4 and i must say that it seems to be working as advertized: it switches the tool to the selections one just the same as i and t switch to the image and text tools.

personally, i don't thing that it's really a useful feature and i think that it has added for completeness rather than because somebody thought that it would be useful. (i talk about the c here, not the t or i shortcuts which are very useful... at least for now)

for going out of text editing, back to frame selection or further on to no selection, you probably want to use the ESC key.
personally, i wonder if it would not be better to put ESC as the key in the tooltip hint or even remove c as a shortcut for the selection tool.

ciao
a.l.e

marko2010

OK, I think I figured out what was going on. It is possible to to select text frames without having to repeatedly use the toolbar arrow icon, but this will not work when you switch between spreads. For example if I am working on a spread composed of pages 62-63 and I need to go copy some content off a spread on pages 10-11, the only way I can select a text frame on the new spread is by clicking on the arrow icon on the toolbar. Once this is done the keyboard shortcuts do work on the new spread.

Still, this is a lot better having to continually click on that arrow icon when working on the same spread, so I am going to mark this thread as "SOLVED". Thanks for helping me clear this up. :)

And if you know of a shortcut for selecting a text block immediately after changing spreads  in Scribus, do share. It will save lots of time for me because I need to do a lot of copying within a document.