Line spacing issues caused by p, y, q, and j

Previous topic - Next topic

LucidStrike

When I have text aligned to the baseline grid, extra space below is given to words with the letters p, q, y, or j in them. Obviously, that's problematic. My workaround has been to put words containing those letters in their own text boxes.

One might assume the extra spacing stops the 'y' from touching the lower word, but it's not necessary here, as demonstrated in the third image.

I just wanna know if there's a way to handle this within the same text box. I know the 'y' COULD have been a problem if it were right about the 'h', but it wasn't.

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi lucidstrike

when you align your text to the baseline grid, scribus will always use the line of the grid which doesn't produce an overlap between the lines. (imho it would be better to give space for the descenders, even for lines without any of them – i don't like lines jumping around if i change a letter...)
if you intend to put your text as dense (with overlapping letters), you should use a fixed line spacing instead of the baseline grid.

utnik

LucidStrike

Hmm...So fixing the spacing and then snapping the text box to the baseline and perhaps doin' some adjustments might work.

UPDATE: Works out. Thnks. ^_^

carusoswi

I'm not seeing an answer to my problem.
Has anyone examined my file to confirm the problem?
I get this non-aligned result each and every time I follow the steps I described in my earlier post.
Can no one else replicate the problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Caruso

utnik

hi caruso

in this thread you had no earlier post. i can't answer if you don't ask...

utnik