Tab problem in Scribus

Previous topic - Next topic

carusoswi

So, I have inserted a text frame.
I want to place a decimal tab (Scribus calls it "period") at 5" ruler mark.
I do so using the properties, text, tabulature menu.
When I return to the page and type text, the first line works as expected.
The tab for second and subsequent lines line up on each other, but are well left of the tab mark on the first line.
It seems nothing I try works.  I could, perhaps, delete that first conforming line, but this seems counterintuitive.
Can someone offer suggestions?
Thanks.
Caruso

utnik

hi caruso

if the cursor is placed in a paragraph, your tab will be set only for this paragraph.
you have to select the frame only or all the paragraphs for wich you need the tab.
another solution (might be the best) is to assign the tab to a paragraph style...

utnik

Nermander

I think this is a problem that many have said is confusing. In other programs, hitting enter for a new paragraph will keep the style of the current paragraph. But in Scribus the new paragraph gets the default style instead.

If I recall correct this is a matter of Scribus placing the cursor location on the "wrong side" of the changed style compared to what people expect.

carusoswi

Thanks for the replies.
I'll do some more work with this and see how it goes.
As usual with open source applications, I have the feeling of great affinity towards Scribus.

I am a long time InDesign users who hopes to make the switch.

I already see that Scribus is a worthy competitor (at least in terms of my needs), and I expect to make use of Scribus for documents I need to generate in my business, but, in order to be productive, I have to solve some of these minor issues.

Again, thanks for the responses.  I have yet to figure out styles.

Caruso

carusoswi

Still struggling with this.
If I create a text frame, set a decimal tab before entering any text, what do I do to keep tabs in the first line of text aligned to subsequent lines?

I hate to appear lazy, but could someone give me step by step directions?

Thanks.

Caruso

carusoswi

Continuing to probe this issue, I find that setting a tab for the frame, the first line tabs to the expected location, subsequent lines align some five or so characters left of the expected location.
I can highlight the text, touch the tab indicator in the ruler, and all aligns.

This behavior seems very strange and non-intuitive to me.

I must be missing something.

Sorry to nag, but suggestions, please, and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Caruso

utnik

hi caruso

i'm not able to reproduce this strange behavour.
could you upload an example .sla file?

utnik

carusoswi

Have a look at the attached.  Two identical (or should be identical) lines of tabbed text.  They do not line up.  What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for the reply.
Caruso

[attachment deleted by admin]

utnik

hi caruso

in the first line of your attached document there is an ellipsis (three dot sign) before the dollar sign. the first point of this ellipsis sign lines up with the decimal tabulator. if i delete this supplementary character, everything looks as expected...

utnik

carusoswi

Where is that character coming from?
I never even noticed it.  Will have to check it out.
Thanks for your help.
Caruso

carusoswi

Utnik:
Here is my work flow:

I open a new document with auto text frame.
I open text properties, set a tab at 5" with "period" alignment and dot fill.
I type some text, tab, and type some numerals.
I hit return and repeat the process.

The first line alignment appears to overshoot the mark.
The second and subsequent lines seem to line up ok.

I tried to back out three of my dots, but any backspace takes the numerals all the way back to the left hand side of the text box (next to the text that I typed.  Hitting tab takes those numerals back out to where they started, a bit too far right to line up with the same numerals in the line(s) below.

I know I have to be missing something, but admit that I'm stumped.

Caruso

utnik

hi caruso

i tried to copy your workflow step by step. everything behaves as expected – no bad alignment...
sorry – can't reproduce the problem.

utnik

Nermander

Is it really an ellipsis?

Isn't it a tab with dot fill?

utnik

hi nermander

you're right. i didn't check this before, but it's definitely a tab.

@ caruso: looks as if you hit the tab button twice. so the cursor jumps to the next automatic (left) tab...

utnik

carusoswi

So, had I hit the tab twice, then I should be able to hit the backspace key and achieve alignment.  That's not the case.  Try it out and see.  When I hit backspace on either line, the text right of the cursor returns far left, next to the text that precedes my tab.

Also, if there were two tabs, they should be represented by tab indicators in the ruler, yes?  There is only one tab showing.

I appreciate your responsiveness, but believe your conclusion to be inaccurate, but I would be happy if you can point out that I am wrong.  That would solve the problem, which, after all, is what I seek.

Please double check and advise.

Thanks!

Caruso

Quote from: utnik on September 04, 2012, 10:02:08 PM
hi nermander

you're right. i didn't check this before, but it's definitely a tab.

@ caruso: looks as if you hit the tab button twice. so the cursor jumps to the next automatic (left) tab...

utnik