How to put page numbers

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarsoudis

I see this information
http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/File:Sections.png

but when I press "Apply" I can not see any page numbers at my article. Has any know how to put page numbers ?

Regards, George

Nermander

Where do you expect the page number to show up?

From http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Help:Manual_Pagenumbering

QuoteAs you already know, almost everything in Scribus has to happen in a frame, and page numbers are no different. Thus, to insert a page number, we need to create a text frame first. Once we have entered the editing mode of the frame, we can insert a variable for the page number, which will tell Scribus to insert the actual page number. There are two different ways to insert this variable, the first one being the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Shift+P. If you're afraid to break your fingers, you can assign a new shortcut in the Preferences dialog or use the menu command Insert > Character > Page Number. You can now see that Scribus shows the number of the current page, but this approach may not be what you want to achieve, as it will only add the page number to the currently selected page. If you want to automate the page numbering (also called "pagination"), you should insert the variable into a text frame on a Master Page. As you will note, Scribus doesn't display a real number on a Master Page, because a Master Page isn't a real document page and thus doesn't have a position in the sequence of pages. Instead, Scribus displays # as a placeholder symbol.

Tarsoudis

I have use all this instructions but I can not see the page number, please see my attach image settings

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tarsoudis

Sorry I found the problem :) I have a small text frame window, this is a reason I can not see the page number !!!

carusoswi

I tried this - ctrl-alt-shift-p.  Didn't seem to get a response in the text frame.  Tried to find the menu item, not found.  What am I missing?
Thanks.
Caruso

Quote from: Nermander on August 27, 2012, 05:48:14 PM
Where do you expect the page number to show up?

From http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Help:Manual_Pagenumbering

QuoteAs you already know, almost everything in Scribus has to happen in a frame, and page numbers are no different. Thus, to insert a page number, we need to create a text frame first. Once we have entered the editing mode of the frame, we can insert a variable for the page number, which will tell Scribus to insert the actual page number. There are two different ways to insert this variable, the first one being the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Alt+Shift+P. If you're afraid to break your fingers, you can assign a new shortcut in the Preferences dialog or use the menu command Insert > Character > Page Number. You can now see that Scribus shows the number of the current page, but this approach may not be what you want to achieve, as it will only add the page number to the currently selected page. If you want to automate the page numbering (also called "pagination"), you should insert the variable into a text frame on a Master Page. As you will note, Scribus doesn't display a real number on a Master Page, because a Master Page isn't a real document page and thus doesn't have a position in the sequence of pages. Instead, Scribus displays # as a placeholder symbol.

utnik

hi caruso

where was your text cursor while you hit this finger breaking key set? – it should be inside the frame this time...
...or could it be the same problem as george dealt with? is your frame too small to display the numbers with your settings? (in this case an overflow mark would appear at the right lower corner of the frame...)

utnik

carusoswi

Utnik:
I don't know what I did when I posted previously, but, just now, I created a document, then created two master pages - "Master page 1" and "Master page 2".

Typed the word "Page" then used the key combo to add #.

Applying master page to a subsequent page, Master page 1 gave me no view-able result. Master page 2 gave me "Page 3".

So, I guess I am on the right track.

I then deleted pages 1 and 2 of my document, and the remaining page now displays "Page 1", so that is good.

If I wanted to go back and look at or edit my master pages, or delete them, how would I find them since I have deleted the first two pages of the document from which they were created?
Thanks,
Caruso

utnik

hi caruso

your master pages are stored in the xml tree, even if they aren't applied in the actual layout. with 'page' → 'apply master page' you can select the desired master and apply it to all pages, to all odd or even pages or to the selected one only. so you don't need to delete your first pages because there is no master applied to them – just apply it...

(when you create your page direct on an actual document page and then convert it to a master page, all the elements are on this page as well, but it only looks as an applied master page – it's still an independent page with its own elements. when you edit the master page, nothing will be changed on this originally created 'master of the master page'...)

utnik

carusoswi

Thanks for that explanation, Utnik.  Scribus seems very similar to other applications with which I have experience, but in many ways it is quite different.

Thanks again.

PS: Is there a way for me to go back into the master page to change it, or should I just apply it in a document, make changes, then save over that master page name?

Caruso

utnik

hi caruso

go to 'edit' → 'master pages' (and to familiarize with scribus, take a look at all the main menu items...)

utnik

Mark

Hi.

Thanks for the helping information. I was having problems but the posts really helped. Except, for one issue ..

The first 30 pages of my document are displaying page numbers but my last 2 do not. They display the page number box placeholder but not the actual numbers.

Can someone help me, please?

Thanks.

Mark

utnik

hi mark

it'shard to tell the difference between pages one to 30 and the last two pages...
did you insert the pagination via master pages?

utnik

Sir Les

Hi

I have added extra (new pages) to my book. But now I cant add numbers numbers to the new added pages. I used Master Page for numbering the first part of the book.

How do I continue the numbering on to the new pages?

PatJr

did you apply a master page that has the page numbering characters on the master page?