How to make space between an image and the text that is around it?

Previous topic - Next topic

Eletorta

Hi,
I have recently started to use Scribus and I find it quite a good programme, but some basic things seem to be hidden sometime. An example is the way to create some space between an image and the text that flows around it; it is quite an important thing to do when laying out a publication, but I really cannot find the way!

Can you help?

Thanks,
Elisa

Christen_Anderson

Hi Elisa! Welcome to Scribus!

First, you need to know how to wrap text around a frame, if you haven't figured it out already:

• In the Properties Palette, with your image frame selected: Shape --> Text Flow Around Frame --> Use Contour Line
  • Create a new layer underneath the layer with your image frame, put a text frame in this bottom layer.
  • In the Properties Palette, with text frame selected: Shape --> Edit. Check Edit Contour Line, a blue dot (node) will appear at each corner. Drag these to control the amount of space between image and text.

HTH,
Christen
Scribus 1.4.0 on Windows Vista 32-bit

https://feathercurtain.wordpress.com/

utnik

Quote from: Christen_Anderson on August 23, 2012, 04:15:28 PM

• Create a new layer underneath the layer with your image frame, put a text frame in this bottom layer.

sometimes it's a good idea to have separate layers for pictures and text – the desired function (text flow around images) works as well on a single layer, as long as the images are on top of the text...

utnik

a.l.e

i would say that in most cases you don't want to put the images and the text on separate layers. at least not just for managing the flow of the text around an image...
a.l.e

Nermander

I think many people are not aware of the difference between layers and levels.

Items in the same layer are on different levels, it's the level that controls what items are in front of other.

If I'm not wrong, two items (in Scribus) can never be on the same level. Though they can be on the same layer.

Eletorta

a.l.e

the concept of level is getting less important in scribus... let's hope that we can drop it at some time...
the, we will just have to make sure that one image is on top of the other...
the information with the numbers is mostly useless, most of all if you have lot of shapes on your page!