Document setup for On-demand Commercial Printing

Previous topic - Next topic

richarddixon

Hello again:

I have designed a small 3" x 5" (76 x 127mm) document.

The document will be colorless; black text, black lines and gradients of gray; I am using the X11 color set included with Scribus.

1. Since the document will need to be cut, is it safe to place the document at the very top-left of the page, allowing a margin of 1/8" (3.175mm) for bleed? I would want to do this to eliminate the need of two cuts (the top and left cuts).

I will begin by printing a small proof run on a Canon 8105 printer which purports to supports true 1200 x 1200 resolution. Because the text in my document will be small, I want to take advantage of the full 1200 resolution.

2. How do I ensure that Scribus assignes 1200 dpi to the document?

Do I need to add the Canon 8105 driver to my Win 7 (64) printers through Control Panel? I have no printer hardware; Scribus assigns the generic Windows Fax as the printer by default.

Should I add some other driver, pscript5.dll for example?

I ultimately will export the document to pdf for commercial printing. How do I ensure that the pdf is 1200 dpi?

Thank you,
Richard

utnik

hello richard

Quote from: richarddixon on August 21, 2012, 08:56:58 PM
...I am using the X11 color set...

do you really mean the 'x11'? – for a grayscale document the 'x11gray' would be the better choice.
but both color sets are in rgb. you could delete all colors except the 100% black, but if you export the final pdf as a 'grayscale' document, it should be ok anyway.

Quote...is it safe to place the document at the very top-left of the page, allowing a margin of 1/8" (3.175mm) for bleed? I would want to do this to eliminate the need of two cuts...

if the elements of your document are touching the edges, you will need cuts on all sides.

Quote...How do I ensure that Scribus assignes 1200 dpi to the document?

you can set the resolution in the 'save as pdf' window.

utnik

richarddixon

Thanks utnik

Quote...do you really mean the 'x11'? – for a grayscale document the 'x11gray' would be the better choice....

Yes I should have specified x11 grey

Quote...if the elements of your document are touching the edges, you will need cuts on all sides....

I don't understand. I am allowing 1/8" bleed (or page margin) so no element is touching any edge.

Quote...you can set the resolution in the 'save as pdf' window.

Again I'm uncertain. I see where EPS graphic resolution can be set there. In this document all elements are native to Scribus. Everything is Scribus text, lines and shapes (there are no photos). I'm trying to understand how to set the overall document resolution, either in Scribus or when exporting to pdf.

Thanks.

utnik

hi richard

Quote from: richarddixon on August 22, 2012, 06:46:42 AM
I am allowing 1/8" bleed (or page margin)...

bleeds are outside the of final document (to cut off) – margins are inside the edges. both of them are safety areas for a not always perfect position of the cuts.
if you're talking about margins, i agree with you (as long as your printer does not need wider margins...)

QuoteIn this document all elements are native to Scribus. Everything is Scribus text, lines and shapes (there are no photos). I'm trying to understand how to set the overall document resolution

all the vector elements will stay as vectors (scalable and thus free of a defined resolution) in the pdf. you only need to set the resolution for pixel elements.

utnik

richarddixon

Quoteyou only need to set the resolution for pixel elements.

Thank you. I've searched everywhere in the Scribus app and in the forum but I can't find where to do this. Could someone please tell me where I would set pixel resolution?

Thanks again.

utnik

hi richard

your vector work and the text are scalable. in the .pdf file they are stored as real vectors – you don't need to set any resolution for them.
if you have pixel images, you set the resolution in 'file' → 'document setup' → 'pdf export' → 'maximum image resolution' and for eps files at the same place under 'resolution for eps graphics' – that's all...

utnik

Nermander

To straighten things out:

A pixel based image is, by default, not resampled by Scribus.

An image of 800x800 pixels will (unless that exceeds that maximum resolution set) be exported as 800x800 pixels. The DPI will depend on the physical size of the image.

There are already old topics about DPI, please read them and learn how DPI works:
http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,423
http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,112