Ubuntu Signal #6 crashes in 'get text'

Previous topic - Next topic

mapbaker

'get text' in ubuntu continues to cause a crash.

i'm using Ubuntu 12.04 and scribus 1.4.1.

there is a particular dialogue box that crashes ubuntu in various applications besides Scribus...maybe i'll post on the ubuntu forums???

Thanks!

-m

mapbaker

Note this also happens with 'get image'

very troublesome...

-m

mapbaker

searching the forums, it seems this works:

sudo -u (my ownusername) scribus

from terminal, and it launches some weird looking version of scribus, and the problem goes away

is this an indication that this might require a reinstall of Ubuntu - as i'm even using QGIS, and this same crashing happens when I get to the dialogue box that crashes in Scribus...

-m

dragonfly

I'm also a newcomer to Scribus 1.4.1 running on Ubuntu 12.04 (Gnome Classic theme).

Using the command line launch you suggested above I see the same more basic GUI of Scriptus (sans styling) but I've reverted to the normal launch through Applications > Graphics > Scribus.

I'm also using "Get Text" to extract a repository of external text files to populate Scribus text frames.
And "Get Image" also works.

I haven't yet seen any Signal #6 crashes.  Anything seen in Ubuntu logs?   Applications > System Tools > Log File Viewer.

Perhaps there is a dependency?

My next research will be to use scripting to populate text and images.
I've found that the *.sla file can be parsed as an XML file so this opens up other possibilities.

Nermander

I would guess this is a matter of chosen qt appearance.

Run qtconfig and try changing it.

a.l.e

... and don't run scribus as sudo :-)

it's not a good idea!

Nermander

But doesn't sudo -u <user> run it as the user?

(I'm not used to sudo yet, I most often "sudo su":) )

mapbaker

I just opened up Scribus and tried to get image and get text. Both were working fine for a few tries, then finally signal #6 error and hard crash.

I see some instructions re. QT, but I don't know what that means, I'm afraid...

What is the issue, here?

Are there any Scribus developers who know what's going on?

Thanks, All!!!

-m

Nermander

Scribus uses QT libraries for the GUI. QT has settings where you can chose the visual appearance of the GUI. In some distributions, some of those settings have bugs.

The program where you can change those settings is called qtconfig (or qt4config in some distributions).

mapbaker

Nermander:

What does that mean for the end user experiencing these crashes?

In the VM I've set up to test this, there is no bug. Does this mean I should re-install Ubuntu?

-m

dragonfly

This bug in scribus-1.4.1/ubuntu-12.04 is written up here ..

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/scribus/+bug/973332

this may be resolved by uninstalling the qt-at-spi package

through Synaptic Package Manager.

or

sudo apt-get remove qt-ap-spi

This bug is reported as fixed in Qt 4.8.2

However in my ubuntu 12.04 I do not experience any such crashes and
my qt-at-spi package   accessibility plugin for qt

reports latest available version 0.2.0+git20120411-0ubuntu1

mapbaker

This is great as this bug affects use of QGIS (geographic information system / mapping software) as well - a bug I kept having with this same thing...

Thank you very much!

-m

VeniVidiVacui

Quote from: a.l.e on October 24, 2012, 01:21:10 PM
... and don't run scribus as sudo :-)

it's not a good idea!
???

Let us clear something up, right here:

When you use the 'sudo'-command WITHOUT specifying the user required, THEN it tries to be root.

But if you DO specify the user, then the command or program (here: scribus) is run with that user id, with whatever privileges that user has.

So, not all uses of 'sudo' are related to the 'root' account - and it is (mainly) those that are risky, if allowed to be done by the wrong people...

Oh, and in case you actually think there is a user 'sudo': I've never met any system that had a user named that - the command name is an acronym for 'SuperUser DO'.
Civil war isn't.

a.l.e

hi vedi vidi vacui,

i still don't see any reason to run scribus as sudo!
(while writing my previous comment i thought of becoming root... but i know that sudo and su can get you to impersonate any user (you've the right to impersonate)).

but, really, you should install scribus in a way that the users that need scribus also can start it in "their own environment".
for other programs (or commands) using sudo can make sense, but i would not do when working with scribus (and with most GUI programs, either).

anything else is a sign that probably something is not 100% in the way you've installed it and you're running it.
and, personally, i won't spend a long time in helping you debugging errors that show up in such a situation.

have a nice day
a.l.e

VeniVidiVacui

???

Addressing this message to the user 'a.l.e':

The comments about the 'sudo'-command started out with someone using it to run Scribus (from his normal user account) either as a diagnostic measure (to get further data points in researching an error situation), or as a last resort for getting to use the program when he had no time to spare for system fiddling.

Then you came in with a comment that looked like (and certainly communicated) confusion as to what the 'sudo'-command is, and how it works. I corrected this, and got a message back that continues the confusion, and adds a silly (under the circumstances) point about not running a program with 'sudo' because it is a sign of a problem.

Frankly, I wonder how much you really know about Linux (or *BSD), and I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that... Rest assured that running commands via the 'sudo'-coomand is generally only done when it is a good idea, and that I run my Scribus via my normal user environment, as I am sure the vast majority of Linux and *BSD users do.

But in the meantime, would you PLEASE refrain from adding completely unnecessary confusion as to the nature and use of system commands that are completely outside the purview of Scribus ?
Civil war isn't.