Importing PSD files

Previous topic - Next topic

kathleenmph

Very beginner question - I just installed Scribus because I'm looking for a way to open CMYK PSDs on my computer. The wiki says that I can import PSD files, no problem, but when I go to the Import menu, I only see "Get vector file" as an option.

I've also tried just opening the PSD instead of importing it, but Scribus gives this error: <the file> is not in an acceptable format.

Any ideas? Thanks!

utnik

hi kathleen

for pictures you need an image frame (shortcut: 'i').
in this frame you can import your pictures by double click or right click...

utnik

Wena

PSD's if I remember correctly are bitmap, to get bitmap into Scribus all you need to do is make a graphics frame. Let me explain that, next to the text frame bottom is the graphic frame bottom click on that and make a graphic frame to the size you want. Then make sure the box is selected, it will show a red line with a black bar from each corner, go to the import space on the pull down manus then select get graphics. Navigate to where your PSD is and select it.

If you where doing a vector graphics you would not need a box.

If you get any problems come back to this page and I will attempt to explain better.

Wena

kathleenmph

Thanks! I tried that, and got the image in place. However, I can't access the layers using Extended Image Properties. I've tried two different files. One, I can access paths but not layers; the other (the CMYK file I'm primarily concerned with editing) I can't access Extended Image Properties at all. Both are Adobe CS6 files.

utnik

hi kathleen

are you trying to use scribus as an image processor? – this won't work, scribus is a layout program (with some image related features...)
or what exactly is your target?

utnik

Nermander

If you want to edit the PSD files I think you should try with GIMP instead (not sure if it can read them, but Scribus is not intended to be used for editing the images, but placing them on the page).

utnik

Quote from: Nermander on August 14, 2012, 07:10:51 AM...you should try with GIMP...

gimp is not able to read cmyk files (with a plugin you can export to a color managed cmyk, but never reimport it in gimp...)
the easiest way i know with free software is to open the cmyk .psd in xnview. it will be converted to rgb and the saved copy can be edited with gimp.

utnik

kathleenmph

Thanks! I really just want to be able to see what's on the different layers - I'll give xnview a try!