AI files - problems continue with scribus importing files

Previous topic - Next topic

mdcjsps

Hi folks,
I'm beginning to think I have some problems with my scribus environment (scribus or other linux libraries).
I have been unable to import EPS files (athough I have a work-arounds using GIMP).
I have now tried to open a sample AI (adobe illustrator) file by importing directly into a image frame or into a document (no frame). Import fails.
I was able to open the file with Inkscape so I know that I can get a work-around this way....
However, given the two problems, both with vector type files ?!?

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and scribus 1.4.1.svn; Ghostscript 9.05, [no GSview!]

Can anyone point me in the right direction to resolve this issue?

Any help (again) would be appreciated.
Regards,
Marc

Wena

The simple and best way is to place/open your file into Inkscape (the program is free)and the result will be that you can save it into SVG format. That works well in Scribus.

Wena

utnik

hi marc

you should import your vector work direct on the page ('file' – 'import' – 'get vector file'), not into an image frame.
i'm not sure, if it works with all ai files (adobe changed the specifications a couple of years ago – maybe you can't import old illustrator files...)

image frames are for pixel stuff (and for pdf files, but that's an other story – at least in color sensible cases you should know what you are doing...)

utnik

mdcjsps

Thanks for the feedback to the both of you.
I have tried to import directly into my page (not going through an image frame), and got a message saying import failed.
I can open the file using Inkscape and save it in an svg format and can then get the file into Scribus... so I have a workaround.

My concern is that I cannot use either EPS nor AI files using the import -get vector command and that make me think I'm missing something in my environment.

Regards,
Marc