Translate document

Previous topic - Next topic

tax87

Hi!

I'm a new user of scribus and I use it to produce istruction manual for machine.

I need to translate manual in various languages.
The people who make the translations asked me if I can export the entire text from scribus to a document (txt or document file).
Can you help me?
Thank you,

Massimo

utnik

hi massimo

if the text in your document is in a number of linked frames, this should be an easy task. (⌘-A, ⌘-C → open text file → ⌘-V)
if it consists of blocks in independent frames, scribus doesn't know the sequence – then you have to assemble it manually...

utnik

tax87

Thanks utnik,

I have one frame per part of text, so I can't use your method, right?

Do you think that there are a possibility in future version that scribus can do this function?
It would be very easy and functionally!

utnik

i don't think so – scribus will never link individual blocks of text – try to use linked frames, if possible.

utnik

tax87

Sorry I'm new for Scribus, can you tell me more about linked frames?

Thanks

a.l.e

ciao massimo,

there is a script in the wiki that may be helpful for you

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Export_all_text

ciao
a.l.e

tax87

Ciao Ale,

thanks for support!

I used the script and seems all ok, I've sent the file to tranlsator and now he's trying to do his work.

I have also another question..It's possibile to do the opposite with another script??

Import all text from txt file?

Thank you again.

Nermander

If you mean that different parts should be imported into different frames, how would the script know? It would have to be tagged in some way.

To import from one text file to one text frame (or a set of linked text frames) is a normal procedure in Scribus, right click on the frame and choose Get text.

tax87

Hi Nermander,

I've asked for a script to import file created with the export script, to reduce time of translation.

Now I make this steps:

1. Export all text with script and send txt file to translator
2. When the translator has finished, he sends to me the new txt file
3. I lose a lot of time to open al text and paste the corrispective translated

If an import script exists, I'll make this steps:

1. Use the export script to export all text in scribus file and send it to translator
2. Translator send me the translated txt file
3. Import this file in scribus

a.l.e

ciao tax87,

it depends on what the text looks like!

the problem is that you will lose the local formatting and the character styles...

i've created such a script for a comic book in the past and it worked well... but the text was not formatted!

probably, the script must probably be tailored to your document... but i can share my solution with you, if you want.

ciao
a.l.e

Nermander

Quote from: tax87 on June 21, 2012, 12:32:12 PM
3. I lose a lot of time to open al text and paste the corrispective translated

You don't have to copy and paste. As I wrote, you can import text from a text file into a text frame.

But if you want a script to import the text into several frames, how shall the script know what text shall go into what frame? There must be some indications in the file as to what text belongs to what frame.

IMO you should have the text available in all languages before doing the layout, because some languages are more "talky" than others, so in some languages a text might be twice as long as in another language. (That's what I learned in school 20 years ago when I learned Technical Writing.) And since you have to adopt the layout for the text that takes the most space you need all translations to be able to see which is the biggest.